GSXS 1000 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
If that bold breaks and part of if is left inside the engine block you will have big problem to extract it.
What makes you think the bolt is gonna break? Did you read the reviews? Shogun has a good rep. I'm not worried.
Most of the sliders are attached to the engine bolt. There's also the risk of hitting your leg/knee on the sharp corners of some of the others during impact. There are definitely trade offs. What do you recommend?

·
Registered
372 Posts
What makes you think the bolt is gonna break?
It broke on my friend's CB500F.

Did you read the reviews? Shogun has a good rep. I'm not worried.
Reviewers may say only that it looks good but hardly ever tell a big problem caused.

Most of the sliders are attached to the engine bolt.
This was where my friend got his nightmare and he has never dropped his bike.
He attempted to removing the broken piece of bolt stuck inside the engine block with different kinds of extractors but he couldn't. So he took it to a shop and they charged him $500 to remove the broken bolt and put a bigger one with a nut at the other side. They hammered it very hard to push the piece of bolt out the other end. The hole could not be re threaded. A brand new bike with a fix something not broken situation. He was pulling his hair as to why he put that POS in there.

There's also the risk of hitting your leg/knee on the sharp corners of some of the others during impact. There are definitely trade offs.
Of course, besides the bikes already bring some kind of protection in case of a small or soft drop and I don't think that you would have to pay $500 just to replace a mirror or an engine cover that may only got scratched.

I can understand those who abuse their bikes dropping them for fun or for a show like I have seen in those youtube videos, but that is something that I'll never do. And if I do ever crash there will be no crash slider that will save the bike, more likely will be a total lost, that's why a I have plenty of insurance. I have not even done a wheelie.

What do you recommend?
You got me thinking about it now:

1- Do not drop the bike
2- Do not do crazy stuff, be safe
3- Do what the instructor advises you to do and not do.
4- Do not lend your bike to any one unless you know he/she knows how to handle a bike and is careful as you.

With all that said, I'm working on a solution for when the bike is dropped in the garage or parking lot.
I know this is a common problem for lots of bikers at the same time almost all bikes have already some kind of scratch for some unknown reason, well, it happens even in that brand new car that you just bought, isn't it? :oops:

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
1- Do not drop the bike
2- Do not do crazy stuff, be safe
3- Do what the instructor advises you to do and not do.
4- Do not lend your bike to any one unless you know he/she knows how to handle a bike and is careful as you.
I try to adhere to all of the above rules. I've been riding since I was 14 (I'm 65 now). I wanted something that would protect in a low speed / driveway drop, and if you haven't done that, good for you. I hope your luck holds out.
I also wanted something that had good reviews, by people who had actually put them to use in more dramatic scenarios. Shogun has that.
In the mean time, you stay safe, abide by the rules, and you will never need frame sliders. Right?

·
Registered
372 Posts
I try to adhere to all of the above rules. I've been riding since I was 14 (I'm 65 now). I wanted something that would protect in a low speed / driveway drop, and if you haven't done that, good for you. I hope your luck holds out.
I also wanted something that had good reviews, by people who had actually put them to use in more dramatic scenarios. Shogun has that.
In the mean time, you stay safe, abide by the rules, and you will never need frame sliders. Right?
Yes, I may need them, I'm developing one that would not give more problems instead of avoiding one scratch.
I can make one or adapt an existing one to this free hole here:

If I can put a bolt with a nut in the other side there will be no issues with getting the bolt stuck since the hole does not have threats.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Yes, I may need them, I'm developing one that would not give more problems instead of avoiding one scratch.
I can make one or adapt an existing one to this free hole here:
If I can put a bolt with a nut in the other side there will be no issues with getting the bolt stuck since the hole does not have threats.
I don't design motorcycle parts myself, and I'm not a mechanical engineer, so I leave those things to the professions that are mechanical engineers, have testing labs, and prototype what they make with professionals for testing. Good luck with your venture!

·
Registered
65 Posts
If bike falls, then that hole ring will most likely break......it is aluminum on cantilever, part of engine block....any slider bolt will be steel exerting twisting force..

Any dropping impact should be passed on and DISTRIBUTED as best possible on frame, not engine...….but it is only my opinion and it is your bike, of course.

And I presume is understood all these 'protectors' are only against scratches on minor drops and mishaps. In a major crash, assuming is survivable, they may cause more damage than otherwise, precisely because they tend to CONCENTRATE the impacts on single or fewer points......although they may save the legs.

·
Registered
2015 GSX-S1000 ABS
1,678 Posts
Twin bolt fixings are essential for me.

Puig.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I don't design motorcycle parts myself, and I'm not a mechanical engineer, so I leave those things to the professions that are mechanical engineers, have testing labs, and prototype what they make with professionals for testing. Good luck with your venture!
Thanks though, I just started ridding yesterday as opposed to you, but I like to explore other avenues as opposed to just take what others impose on me, but what do I know?

·
Registered
372 Posts
If bike falls, then that hole ring will most likely break......it is aluminum on cantilever, part of engine block....any slider bolt will be steel exerting twisting force..
This is a good observation and I thought about it. You are right, this is just an ear or tab that could tear apart easily.

Any dropping impact should be passed on and DISTRIBUTED as best possible on frame, not engine...….but it is only my opinion and it is your bike, of course.
Definitely, thanks for your input.

And I presume is understood all these 'protectors' are only against scratches on minor drops and mishaps. In a major crash, assuming is survivable, they may cause more damage than otherwise, precisely because they tend to CONCENTRATE the impacts on single or fewer points......
Yes, usually dropping the bike happens while moving it on the garage, going a 2 mph in a parking lot, one forgets to pull the kickstand, while pulling slow at 2 mph to get to a red light during stopped traffic or some curious person that wants to feel a bike rider that drops the bike, etc. All these will result in a small damaged to the motorcycle.

although they may save the legs.
Also, they make destroy the legs in a major crash, who knows?

·
Registered
160 Posts
R&G uses de-embrittled bolts with their frame slider kits. The bolts and or mounting hardware is suppose to bend versus breaking. Might be worth a look.

·
Registered
372 Posts
R&G uses de-embrittled bolts with their frame slider kits. The bolts and or mounting hardware is suppose to bend versus breaking. Might be worth a look.
Thanks! That seems like a good approach.

·
Registered
2015 GSX-S1000 ABS
1,678 Posts
I have the rear stand. Have you dropped your bike and those crash sliders saved it from scratches?
Yes twice but not my fault. Got hit by riding partner while stationary went down on left side, just some marks on the LH bar end.
Again stationary hit by fellow rider, not same one. Bike went down on right side, bent RH foot peg, grazing on exhaust end cap and RH bar end. Nothing will save the exhaust can end on a RH drop.
Came off while riding on a Honda CBF1000 with single point sliders, (R&G) smashed the engine mounting lug, bike written off.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yes twice but not my fault. Got hit by riding partner while stationary went down on left side, just some marks on the LH bar end.
Again stationary hit by fellow rider, not same one. Bike went down on right side, bent RH foot peg, grazing on exhaust end cap and RH bar end. Nothing will save the exhaust can end on a RH drop.
Came off while riding on a Honda CBF1000 with single point sliders, (R&G) smashed the engine mounting lug, bike written off.
Yes, most of the time is not our fault but someone else's and sometimes we don't even know who or how that scratch got there.
I think it comes with ridding the bike, you cannot avoid getting a scratch or some minor damage, but the important thing is the the bike is in good working order.
I guess nobody likes to have their bike full of scratches or minor damages but we cannot have it in the garage in a crystal box to keep it free from dust.

I have heard bad experiences like when the guy just got the bike out of the dealer brand new and on his way home the bike got hit by a rock or piece o metal and destroy a plastic panel, a mirror, the front head light or a flat tire, etc. Sometimes its very unfortunate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a set of the twin bolt sliders on mine and they really are a substantial and solid slider. I've never been a fan of single bolt sliders on any bike i've had but i have confidence in these, should they ever be needed.
Where could i find a set of these and what is the name

21 - 40 of 55 Posts