GSXS 1000 Forum banner

Best full exhaust system with bags?

3947 Views 156 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  ggetzoff
I am about done waiting for a decent low mount system (not interested in M4). Are there a couple that are far enough below the bag? I guess I can put some kind of heat tape on it. I don’t use them often, but I want to make sure I don’t have to worry about melting it. I also have noticed bikes make more power with a full exhaust with a longer muffler and I don’t have to worry with it being too loud. Thanks for any input. Considering Lextek and Delkevic. Yoshimura would be on the high end price wise.
101 - 120 of 157 Posts
It looks like that half system is not any louder than a full system with a shorter slip on. 105db without silencer, 100 db with. I just feel like if I'm gonna remove the whole system to cut it, I might as well replace it all. The previous gen bikes always dyno bigger numbers though, so it's tough to say on a 22 up. I do like that Cobra Sport though as it's quite nice quality. Jordan Bikes has said that removing the valve in the system does hurt the midrange(while dynoing one of these bikes with a Akra half system). Pretty sure you or someone else here said it's purely for noise and that backpressure thing has no affect when it comes to removing the valve.
It looks like that half system is not any louder than a full system with a shorter slip on. 105db without silencer, 100 db with. I just feel like if I'm gonna remove the whole system to cut it, I might as well replace it all. The previous gen bikes always dyno bigger numbers though, so it's tough to say on a 22 up. I do like that Cobra Sport though as it's quite nice quality. Jordan Bikes has said that removing the valve in the system does hurt the midrange(while dynoing one of these bikes with a Akra half system). Pretty sure you or someone else here said it's purely for noise and that backpressure thing has no affect when it comes to removing the valve.
Yes, I like that Cobra Sport half system. Looks and sounds great. And I haven't seen any evidence that removing the exhaust valve has any measurable effect on midrange performance. Pretty much every bike I've seen dyno'd with a full system makes more power throughout the RPM band and they no longer have the valve in place, obviously.

I originally installed a cat delete pipe on my stock exhaust system. I kept the first cat in place, along with the exhaust valve. I know the bike pulls a lot stronger now with the Arrow header/Akra slip-on then it ever did with the previous cat delete only setup installed. That said, it wasn't tuned yet, so take that for what it is. Another thing I noticed was a massive flat spot in power between about 5-7.5k RPM with the stock exhaust. After installing the cat delete, it was slightly better, but still very noticeable. After the full system install and tune, it pulls like a freight train and the flat spot is gone. Just adding in my subjective experience.
See less See more
They were probably saying that because Cobra Soort was paying them to dyno tune their half system. I wish there were more of the 22 up bikes out there getting this stuff done and youtubed.
They were probably saying that because Cobra Soort was paying them to dyno tune their half system. I wish there were more of the 22 up bikes out there getting this stuff done and youtubed.
Anything is possible these days, man. Honestly, though, these 1000cc and up liter bikes have so much power to begin with that I wouldn't worry about whether or not the exhaust valve is worth keeping. Even stock and with the flat spot I mentioned, my 2020 still had more power than I could ever legitimately need on the street. Now, with the full exhaust and flash, it's just ridiculous. Lol. Even with just that Cobra Sport half system and a flash or tune, your GT will be a beast. The flash/tune really wakes these bikes up by removing all the ignition timing and secondary throttle plate restrictions.
Reactions: 2
Found a couple more pictures of that West Power system. Pretty cool.

Fuel tank Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting
See less See more
Reactions: 1
Dang!!! Sexy. Too bad there aren’t dyno numbers as I bet it makes great power. I’m gonna get a “full length” system. They aren’t as loud and you don’t give up any power. I’ll just insulate the bottom of my bag for the few times I use them. Wish that system wasn’t so much. I thought Brock’s was expensive! Someone bought his and said it was Chinese!!
Dang!!! Sexy. Too bad there aren’t dyno numbers as I bet it makes great power. I’m gonna get a “full length” system. They aren’t as loud and you don’t give up any power. I’ll just insulate the bottom of my bag for the few times I use them. Wish that system wasn’t so much. I thought Brock’s was expensive! Someone bought his and said it was Chinese!!
What was Chinese? The Brock's system?
Some more pics just because it's a beautifully crafted system and fun to admire. It's shown on a couple Katana's, but same thing...

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

Bicycle part Nickel Auto part Metal Pipe

Bicycle part Nickel Font Metal Gas

Bicycle part Office supplies Cylinder Material property Font

Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Automotive lighting Vehicle

Automotive exhaust Auto part Personal protective equipment Metal Cylinder

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Automotive exhaust Muffler

Fuel tank Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
See less See more
@temporarykiwi

I've noticed from some of your posts that you seem to have a good handle on the potential gains (or lack thereof) with different exhaust systems on our bikes. What do you think of the design elements implemented here with this West Power titanium system? Do you think it's a well designed system and what are your thoughts as far as whether or not it would offer good or bad overall performance gains?
The guy said he bought a Brock’s system and figured out it was Chinese. Just passing what he said. I will say it does not say “Made in the USA” on his site anywhere.

Thanks for the extra pics!!! That is a long system with crazy good secondaries, but I wonder if that curled up section hurts any?
The guy said he bought a Brock’s system and figured out it was Chinese. Just passing what he said. I will say it does not say “Made in the USA” on his site anywhere.

Thanks for the extra pics!!! That is a long system with crazy good secondaries, but I wonder if that curled up section hurts any?
I know bends slow/reduce water flow. why wouldn't it reduce air flow?
That would be a good question for an engineer.
Interesting read: Short Exhaust Vs Long Exhaust [Does Size Really Matter?]

Yeah, I don't know about that looped section and whether it's there for a legitimate purpose or if it's just to look cool. I know there are other full systems that have the same loop under the bike, such as this Yamaha MT-09 system from Akrapovic. I would like to think a reputable company such as Akra would have a good reason to include that feature, but I don't know exactly why it's used.

Automotive lighting Automotive design Bicycle part Automotive exterior Bumper

Here's a Honda Grom system from Yoshimura with the same feature.

Bicycle part Font Cylinder Auto part Fashion accessory
See less See more
Maybe some scavenging effect maybe comparable to what Suzuki flapper does? Except mechanical vs turbulent
Yes, the length sets the resonance of the system for a very specific tuning point. It would resonate at 1/4 the wavelength of the exhaust energy at that point and load the exhaust port at a theoretically optimum (and narrow band). Clearly for peak horsepower.

The length is too great for it to be straight for that tuning point, hence the bends.

iIt looks like the best engineered solution I’ve seen for Suzuki by far.
I forgot to mention that those balance pipes in the header sections is another tuning component that we don’t see in other products.

Agian, this system would be far better then all of the very short systems we normally see (In theory a tuning point width that is useable).
I just wish they provided some proof. The dyno number graph on webbike isn’t impressive.
Well, even worse, the plots are even graduated.
I forgot to mention that those balance pipes in the header sections is another tuning component that we don’t see in other products.

Agian, this system would be far better then all of the very short systems we normally see (In theory a tuning point width that is useable).
The lack of crossover tubes between the primaries is one of the reasons why I removed the Lextek header I originally installed and replaced it with the Arrow header. The Arrow header has the crossovers.

I'm really interested in this West Power system. The design is intriguing and I like the idea of a full titanium system. It should be lighter than the stainless systems and will look really cool as it changes color with a few heat cycles.
Well, even worse, the plots are even graduated.
Exactly. They also used the same exact graph for both the 2020 GSX-S1000F and the Katana. I know they're the same bike mechanically, but if they are going to claim they tested both, they could at least appear honest about it by using two different graphs. Lol
101 - 120 of 157 Posts