GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i'd like to know if you guys are using semi-synthetic or full synthetic oil for your bike

thx

10w40 or 10w50

·
Registered
515 Posts
yea well i was just wondering if people prefer full or semi
90% answer, non-synthetic for break in, synthetic afterward. I run Suzuki or Valvoline non-synthetic all the time. Too worried about those wet clutches and oil leaks for synthetic.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Too worried about those wet clutches and oil leaks for synthetic.
Page 2-5 of the Owners Manual says to avoid "energy conserving" or "resource conserving" oils "because they can affect engine life and clutch performance." Other than that, I've used full synthetic oil in many motorcycles for many years without any clutch problems. In my opinion, you probably won't notice any difference no matter what you use, just be sure that the oil you settle on complies with the criteria on page 2-4 of the Owners Manual and that the oil manufacturer recommends it for use in motorcycles with wet clutches.

·
Registered
189 Posts
By the way, in my post number 2 in this thread, I'm simply answering Hasten's question, although I did add the brand that I use and I guess he didn't ask that. I'm not trying to sell anything.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Semi-synthetic Motul 5100 4T 10W 40. Have used it in my last 2 bikes.

It's true that synthetics can cause oil leaks due to their better scavenging effect but this is normally confined to older engines where there is either pre-existing seal wear or carbon build-up on the seals.

With respect to clutch slip etc, not an issue if you use a motorcycle-specific synthetic. Mobil oil used to be the industrial and automotive lubricant supplier to our company. A few years back, I queried the Mobil engineer about the difference between Mobil 1 car and Mobil 1 motorcycle oils. He said that one of the components in the car additive package could potentially cause slip on a wet clutch. It was removed from the motorcycle Mobil 1 but that was the only difference.

So there you are......:D

·
Registered
451 Posts
I heard an Amsoil person say, "oil related failures are less than 1%..way less, he said."

There are plenty of guys on the fz1 and concours 14 forum who have 100,000 plus miles on their bikes and have used nothing but energy conserving car oils and car filters. Not saying I'd do it, constantly , but I've not had trouble doing so and not known anyone who did.

I cant think of a single post where a person who took care of their bike and actually burned up and/or damaged an engine due to oil quality.Run out of oil sure, but quality?

What you do see way too often are posts like this:

One of the worst days of my life - Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums

Interesting thread. Note that he never shows a pic of his chain or rear sprocket...

If i were giving a 4 hour lecture on engine maintenance related to keeping your bike running, I'd spend 30 seconds on oil and tell you to use what the manual says.

The 3:59:30 left would be spent on chain and sprocket maintenance.

·
Registered
152 Posts
"If i were giving a 4 hour lecture on engine maintenance related to keeping your bike running, I'd spend 30 seconds on oil and tell you to use what the manual says.

The 3:59:30 left would be spent on chain and sprocket maintenance."

Amen!

·
Registered
451 Posts
If you are one of those, like me, who love motorcycle boneyards, you start to see patterns as to what sends bikes there. Most of the bikes in the boneyard will have functional engines. These are bikes often decorated with stickers from the local radio station. Odds are, these owners were not members of "bob the oil guy forum".

Most have hit something. Straight front forks are hard to come by. Thats probably over half.

The second half are bikes with lots of plastic. These will have side damage, and usually tank damage. Too much to use the bike as a project. Too many $$$to replace the plastic , seat and subframe.

The ones with bad engines have broken chains wrapped around the front sprocket.

So, just thinking backwards, the way to keep your bike from there is not what oil you use. Thats problem 237. Problem 1 is correct use of the brakes. Problem 2 is maybe some sort of side protection. Mixed right in there is to replace your chain/sprockets when its half worn out.

If you handle 1, 2 and 3, just change your oil as per the recommended dosage. Go overboard on chain maintenance, not engine oil.

I know that was not the ops original question, but I went through this too. What oil..this one rates 97..this one is 99...this one is cheap, this one is discounted....

I just realized what my real point was. I had 47 payments left and wanted this bike long term. That being the case, look towards real problems and pitfalls, not ones I invented in my mind.

·
Registered
44 Posts
just use any 4T rated oil for wet clutch... and your safe.
Modern motors running in approved oil will last longer than 99% of owners will have the bike. I sometimes have to remind myself of this and forget the experience of maintenance on cars and bikes I owned and worked on 40 years ago.

Reactions: Kiwi Geoff

·
Registered
860 Posts
Oil Threads Should Be Banned..

just use any 4T rated oil for wet clutch... and your safe.
This ^^^

Ugh,... an oil thread.. Well oil is oil. Use any name brand oil, synthetic or not, change regularly and you will be fine. If you put 100,000 miles on your bike using only oil A, it will be in no better or worse shape had you used oil B, C or D for that entire time. They're all fine. Amsoil, Mobil 1, Redline, Castrol, Royal Purple.. it doesn't matter. I use synthetic 4T, whatever is on sale at my local Auto Zone.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I love this question almost as much as "which is the best grade of gasoline".

But to stick to the topic, I use WD-40 as it's low viscosity gives me the optimum gas mileage.

Reactions: dekker

·
Registered
451 Posts
If you want a good lesson on oil, search "High mileage FZ1 what oil do you use"

Similar bikes. Quite a few owners are at 150-200k millage using car oil. Pretty much any oil and filter is mentioned.

Many of those high millage people dont even use short oil change intervals. Many take it out to 500-6000. I think the answer might be, "make sure its in there."

1 - 17 of 17 Posts