GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UK Government to ban sale of petrol, diesel and hybrid cars by 2035. The Government plans to bring forward an end to the sale of new petrol, diesel and hybrid cars and vans to 2035, or earlier if a faster transition is feasible.
:eek:
No mention of bikes or HGV s ?
It's a bit of a reality check isn't it. Will I want a new bike when I'm 93? never say never.:laugh:
I doubt the world has enough resources (precious metals) for it to go totally electric - major lifestyle changes on the way?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update.
The Prime Minister will announce today the Government’s intention to ban sales of new petrol and diesel cars and vans by 2035, but the Department for Transport has confirmed that motorcycles are not currently included
.:cool:

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I watched a UK Political YouTuber's take on this story today, and his researched stat's that he quoted for a 100% conversion of the UK's motorised vehicle fleet to electric was outstandingly negative.
It just won't happen, as all the rare metals and even the more common lithium would be in such Worldwide shortage by then, it just can't happen in the UK, let alone the rest of Earth as well.

One rare metal needed would account for 80% of the World production of it, and the World price would be prohibitive.
If they all need at night time recharge, the UK power distribution cannot possibly handle that either as cables and transformers installed now will fail.

So like the Dutch, we all need to expect a bicycle future, work close to home, holiday at home, shop near home and have a solar battery at home for the night lighting.

OR perhaps those pesky UFO's will land on The White House Lawn and tell us what to do ?

Rob.

·
Registered
545 Posts
We've got at least 4 more years of exceptionalism and energy independence in the US of A.
It is strange the notion that we're all supposed to be on batteries but who's building nuclear plants and where's all the rare minerals coming from?
I guess the real point is just control and taxation just like always.

·
Registered
244 Posts
i agree its not a very viable proposition, sounds good to those ecological types, but do they even have an idea what it would take to convert all the trucks that keep the worlds economy running, not to mention the ships, cant see them being converted to electric, hydrogen maybe... then again i remember a programme i watched said it pollutes the atmosphere more making hydrogen fuel than using carbon fuel, as for bikes go... i have seen that the electric bikes at the isle of man are getting quicker, yet they cant run very far without needing a recharge... think ill have to research how to make some decent alcohol based fuel in the distant future,

·
Registered
45 Posts
So like the Dutch, we all need to expect a bicycle future, work close to home, holiday at home, shop near home and have a solar battery at home for the night lighting.

OR perhaps those pesky UFO's will land on The White House Lawn and tell us what to do ?

Rob.
I sure hope so, :)and would simply put an "GSX-R" sticker on my bicycle, and get a simpler inexpensive life.

I understand the Dutch achieve one the highest level of happiness among the 'developed' world and have about the cleanest environment, and towns... in fact this may apply to all Scandinavian countries.

If the UFO's landed to tell us what to do, they would suggest reducing the human population by 2/3 before we wipe out the only planet in our solar system that supports life, wiping ourselves out in the process....:crying:

·
Registered
536 Posts
I am deleting my Duramax diesel truck tomorrow. Yep, had a problem with the DEF tank pump about 4 weeks ago. GM covered it under the warranty but it was an eye opener to the future ownership of a modern diesel truck. Repair, repair repair and in another year on my dime. Basically emissions component failure has all that has happened to it in 4 years of ownership. I'm sick of the stupid regens every 700 miles and getting 10-12 mpg while it does this ignorance. Very tired of having to buy DEF fluid which is 37% piss anyway. Then there is the breakdown problems with all of this failed technology that was forced on the manufacturers 10 years ago by another failure in leadership.

I'm not looking to blow soot clouds like the young idiots are so known for now days. Nope I just want a truck I spent $70k on to last and not stay in the shop for BS repairs. Tuned accordingly diesel trucks do not normally blow large clouds of soot. And NO emissions testing in MS.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
think ill have to research how to make some decent alcohol based fuel in the distant future,
The conspiracy side of me says it's been done. How you gonna sell your corn? Cows/meat or fuel? Cows are more profitable now. In the future, that will change.
Besides, I'm imbibing in a really good alcohol based fuel right now. >:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts