GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya all. So it doesnt come across that im negative to the bike I will say I really enjoy the ride, light/quick turning/the look/the sound. I've also ordered the yoshi exhaust, tank protectors, wheel stickers, fuel cap protecter, heel plate guards, front smoked fly screen, and meta alarm. But think it would be an idea to log issues with the bike in a single thread so its easier to keep an eye on, but also ammo for any warranty claims that may arise. The issue I raised about stalling may even be clutch related, as in earlier k5 model. There is a thread about a clutch problem on gear change and a "squeal" noise from the clutch , also a k5 problem. Mine also had the poor paint finish, another thread on here, like a "swirling effect" in the laquer that the dealer polished out but tried to say I had lay on the tank !! Just an idea, but still a really fun bike to ride lol

·
Registered
647 Posts
I'm going to join in with the paint issues.
The paint on the wheels is shockingly bad, you only have to look at them and it scratches. Frame coating isn't too bad, engine cases are ok but very easy to scratch.
Fasteners were the usual cheap poor zinc plating so I've replated my bits to aircraft grade coating and anodising.
I'm having the wheels powder coated in a couple of months and I'm now thinking about getting the tank and plastics resprayed at the same time

·
Registered
375 Posts
I too, have been toying with the idea of whipping off the plastics and getting a high quality double lacquer coat applied. Just had my bandit resprayed and the guys did a fantastic job so might be calling them soon, also get the rear cowl done at the same time once the candy red is available.

·
Registered
237 Posts
having just spent £10k on the bike I can't afford to do anything to it for ages.
But on the issues thread; did the long run after the first service and after 300 miles or so stopped for a coffee and thought I would try using the "helmet lock". Lifted up the pillion seat and discovered NO BOLT on the riders seat so basically just hanging on by the front clips!!!
Tried to ride the 130 miles back to the dealer but did not feel safe and stopped at a large but friendly Honda car dealer who kindly installed a bolt for me FOC.
Dealer denies that they removed the seat for the first service but I am skeptical, but guys please check your seats, doing motorway speeds with your seat moving about underneath you is very unnerving.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Dealer denies that they removed the seat for the first service but I am skeptical, but guys please check your seats, doing motorway speeds with your seat moving about underneath you is very unnerving.
Surely your arse was gripping it when it started to move :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi to all, well i'm beginning to think i have got a "friday" bike . went to work on it today and the clutch made a "squeal" noise as i entered a roundabout. parked the bike at work and later noticed a small wet patch under the bike, ran my finger in it, fuel !!. wet patch was there all day so must have dripped all day as not evaporated. will phone shop tomorrow to organise the bike to go in for a good going over as i'm in Mexico from saturday for 2 weeks. :) gives them plenty of time to sort it or they can have it back lol :|

·
Registered
249 Posts
Well ive done just under 400 miles total and the paint seems to have worked down through the laquerwhere my knee goes! I tried polishing it by hand but its scuffed all around and theres a small dull patch.
Im wearing RST textiles and theres isnt anything protruding from them to cause the damage. Absolutely nothing on the others side.

Ill post a pic later.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I think I'm going to try other breakpads. Initial bite is a bit soft I think.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Well ive done just under 400 miles total and the paint seems to have worked down through the laquerwhere my knee goes! I tried polishing it by hand but its scuffed all around and theres a small dull patch.
Im wearing RST textiles and theres isnt anything protruding from them to cause the damage. Absolutely nothing on the others side.

Ill post a pic later.
Heres the pic :(

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm going to join in with the paint issues.
The paint on the wheels is shockingly bad, you only have to look at them and it scratches.
True, sad but true....

I'm having the wheels powder coated in a couple of months and I'm now thinking about getting the tank and plastics resprayed at the same time
What kind of powder coated do you use?
I've in project to use this PLASTIDIP for make some esthetics mods. Do you know this? It's a fantastic product!
Watch the video about it on youtube ;)

·
Registered
647 Posts
I already have plasti dipped my wheels and it's great. I really need them powder coated for longevity and the ease of cleaning chain fling.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hate to revive an old thread but I'm seriously thinking about buying one of these this weekend. Any other issues? Is the paint really that bad?

·
Registered
647 Posts
The paint is a bit hit and miss. I have had the heel protectors and wheels powder coated which has solved that problem. Overall it's ok but myself and others with problems had the early ones, I don't know how many they built in advance but the bike is over a year old in production terms so maybe the new models are better.
Only way to find out is looking at a new one.

Other issues are the throttle snatch or being oversensitive at low speed/revs. A PCV or ECU flash will sort that out. I've yet to do mine yet as it's not a major issue for me so it's not unbearable to live with although the results from flashing, etc, have been very good.

Rear tyre can be changed to a 55 profile which transforms handling, a few of us have Metzeler M7 RR and it's night and day compared to the OEM tyres.

Front brakes are also transformed by replacing with sintered but that applies to nearly every bike.

There is an issue with removing some of the fairing from the F(airy) model which can result in scratching the tank.

All things considered it is a great bike out of the box and an even better one with a few mods. Nearly forgot a few of us have had sticking mode/select buttons on the left hand switch gear. It is covered under warranty but I just shoved some rubber grease into it and it's been fine since.

I don't think you will find any new bike fault or issue free, paint issue aside there has been one recall in the UK to fit a device to make sure the rad hose doesn't touch the headers other than that the bike has been awesome and I would buy another one without hesitation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The paint is a bit hit and miss. I have had the heel protectors and wheels powder coated which has solved that problem. Overall it's ok but myself and others with problems had the early ones, I don't know how many they built in advance but the bike is over a year old in production terms so maybe the new models are better.
Only way to find out is looking at a new one.

Other issues are the throttle snatch or being oversensitive at low speed/revs. A PCV or ECU flash will sort that out. I've yet to do mine yet as it's not a major issue for me so it's not unbearable to live with although the results from flashing, etc, have been very good.

Rear tyre can be changed to a 55 profile which transforms handling, a few of us have Metzeler M7 RR and it's night and day compared to the OEM tyres.

Front brakes are also transformed by replacing with sintered but that applies to nearly every bike.

There is an issue with removing some of the fairing from the F(airy) model which can result in scratching the tank.

All things considered it is a great bike out of the box and an even better one with a few mods. Nearly forgot a few of us have had sticking mode/select buttons on the left hand switch gear. It is covered under warranty but I just shoved some rubber grease into it and it's been fine since.

I don't think you will find any new bike fault or issue free, paint issue aside there has been one recall in the UK to fit a device to make sure the rad hose doesn't touch the headers other than that the bike has been awesome and I would buy another one without hesitation.
I just want to say thank you. That's probably the best and most sincere feedback post I've received in a long time and very much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I've ridden mine all winter. Personally, I'm pretty impressed with the way it's stood up to it. I was expecting it to rot in front of my face, it is a Suzuki after all.
It didn't, my paintwork still looks pretty new. There are poor quality plated bolts around the front and rear brakes which look tatty and the are also a couple of plates which hold the brake lines in place which do too. Other than that, I'm very happy with it. Nothing a good wash and some TLC can't sort.
Go and get one, the grin factor from all the good points more than makes up for a few little niggles which are easily sorted;)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Sticking select switch to enable changing traction control and flicking through different displays on the screen has been an issue for some of us too. I mentioned it to my dealer and they replaced as matter of course

1 - 20 of 32 Posts