GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 gsxs1000 bought new from dealer with only 20 miles on it after my test ride. Bike only had half a tank of gas in it at the time. When I took the bike home dealer filled the bike up. At 120 miles the bike started in the morning then cut out after 5 seconds. Couldn't get the bike started again for about 10 minutes. Shook the bike up as I thought maybe bad fuel or water and it stayed running and rode fine from then on. Looked at the gas cap, looked like jelled up ethanol. Cleaned that off and put some stabil in the tank. Ran great after that and had two fill ups.

400 miles now and I adjust my handlebars and levers. Rode the bike into work (48 miles one way) and about 10 miles into the ride I noticed the bike wont accelerate past quarter throttle or about 6k rpms. It just falls on its face. Pull over, look everything over, and start the bike up and continue riding. Still doing the same thing. Cant turn back and go home so I ride into work. Does the same thing going home even when the bike was not hot from miles of riding. Thought maybe sensor at the time. I get home and look over the handlebars and levers for loose connections. Move levers again, and put more slack back into the throttle cable. Go for a 2 mile loop. Bike still starves for fuel past quarter throttle. Once I back off the throttle it picks right back up and pulls great.

I checked temps on all four header pipes and they are equal temps rising together. Look into the tank and I can see the slightest evidence of oxidation developing. I feel the pump or strainer is getting a blockage.

Called the dealer closest to me, I explained what is happening and how I think it might be a fuel delivery issue. They say warranty wont cover it because if it is fuel related thats not a factory issue and to call the dealer I bought the bike from.

Call my dealer, he said they will fix it under warranty. Taking the bike back next week. 2.5 hr drive for me.

Any other thought or questions you all can add.

Questions for the dealer from me are
Clean tank
Fuel pump and strainer
Look at injectors

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Hi Wcm,

This was Member Roy's problem with fuel and pump blockages a while back which could point that you have similar issues. He tells of his permanent cure.
Have you tied a bottle or two of injector cleaner ?

Rob.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have read his post when I went searching for this fix. However my fuel tank was practically full. I think from the two fill ups I have done. The pressure of gas spraying all around the tank knocked more junk off. I could be completely wrong, but that is what my hunch is telling me. If the bike was out of warranty I would've pulled the tank already, cleaned it out myself, and ordered new parts. Trying to do that and watch my 1.5 yr son is tricky. I was hoping someone might have pointed me into the direction of something may have come loose and a quick fix. This is the first bike I have owned with this much technology on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took the bike to the dealer last week. They have checked fuel pressure and it is good. I believe they have flushed the system too. Still not fixed. Told me they have to keep digging into the issue.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Took the bike to the dealer last week. They have checked fuel pressure and it is good. I believe they have flushed the system too. Still not fixed. Told me they have to keep digging into the issue.

Hi Wcm,
You haven't reported any FI light popping up at the same time, so sort of leaves the sensors as working, more or less. It shouldn't be loose wiring harness connection either.
I was thinking of things that would restrict air getting into the motor or out via the exhaust. So it can't be a dusty air filter as it happened when brand new.

The throttle body secondary valve actuator (think of the TB valve butterfly like a manual choke) if faulty should bring up a FI light and and a C28 code.
That if failing would be rare today. It was known age problem 15 years ago with the same parts as used today. Vibration cracked the internal electrical joints on the PC board.
The ECU tests all the sensors and this valve when you turn on the key every time, so we should assume they are working to at least the part at the end of the wire of the valve.
The SET exhaust valve under the motor is something you can see if you look under the exhaust pipe with a mirror, as it also get checked (It rotates one direction then reverses) at ign sw turn on.

Rob.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, you are correct. I have no CEL. The bike is still at the dealer. They are fixing it as i dont have the time or want to when its under warranty. But I have no clue what it could be.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Talked to the dealer again. Fuel pump checks out for flow by volume and pressure, set valve, everything the shop can think of is checking out to be working just fine. They are taking a donor bike to swap parts over to see if it will work. Swapping tank, pump, and ecu to start.

This sucks, the bike only has about 500 miles on it and feels like its plagued.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Talked to the dealer again. Fuel pump checks out for flow by volume and pressure, set valve, everything the shop can think of is checking out to be working just fine. They are taking a donor bike to swap parts over to see if it will work. Swapping tank, pump, and ecu to start.

This sucks, the bike only has about 500 miles on it and feels like its plagued.

Sorry to hear you are having issues with your bike, you don't expect this of a new bike. If it makes you feel better, I'm on my 3rd battery, broke down more times than I can remember, snatches violently and has only covered 1842miles.
People keep looking at me like I'm lying when I tell them my Suzuki keeps breaking down, by this reaction I assume Suzuki's are very reliable normally.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry to hear you are having issues with your bike, you don't expect this of a new bike. If it makes you feel better, I'm on my 3rd battery, broke down more times than I can remember, snatches violently and has only covered 1842miles.
People keep looking at me like I'm lying when I tell them my Suzuki keeps breaking down, by this reaction I assume Suzuki's are very reliable normally.

These issues don't sound like a suzuki at all. 3rd battery is crazy.

·
Registered
544 Posts

I'm sure you don't want to hear it but you are certainly in the minority. Suzuki's are generally bullet proof.
I've owned a GS500, SV1000S and the GSX-S1000F.
Other than basic servicing and maintenance i am yet to see a single problem.
Have a look at used bikes and there are plenty of Bandits, SV650 and 1000, Vstroms, GSX-R and S all with huge odometer readings.
I urge you to not be dissauded by riding a Suzuki after your recent experience.
Bear in mind this is the worldwide forum for the GSX-S and you can count how many serious complaints regarding reliability there are on one hand.
Compared to most other brands, the Suzuki ranks in the absolute highest for reliabilty.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm sure you don't want to hear it but you are certainly in the minority. Suzuki's are generally bullet proof.
Have a look at used bikes and there are plenty of Bandits, SV650 and 1000, Vstroms, GSX-R and S all with huge odometer readings.
Bear in mind this is the worldwide forum for the GSX-S and you can count how many serious complaints regarding reliability there are on one hand.
Compared to most other brands, the Suzuki ranks in the absolute highest for reliabilty.
This is one of the reasons I liked the gsxs1000. Bulletproof motor. This isn't my first suzuki either. I am still trying to hold out and hoping this can be fixed before I have to go back to the dealer and see what my options are.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I realise they are normally reliable however this is my 9th motorcycle, this includes a skyjet (Chinese) 125cc, 1990 Harley Davidson Sportster XL 1200 and a 1983 z1000. All of these were more reliable, had more miles, the Suzuki is the only bike I've ever had new, doesn't say a lot for them from my point of view.
Also the paint is thin and easily scratched, mine is covered in swirls and considering it's only been washed 4 times.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Finally got my bike back. After a new fuel pump, bike runs and pulls great. Doesn't seem like to many people having fuel pump issues but hopefully this helps someone else out.

That's great news. It sounds like the crud you examined in the tank clogged the filter. Flushing it can only do so much. It must have sat a long while at the dealer but you think they would empty the tank and start with fresh fuel. Who knows the quality of fuel that sat in there all that time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's great news. It sounds like the crud you examined in the tank clogged the filter. Flushing it can only do so much. It must have sat a long while at the dealer but you think they would empty the tank and start with fresh fuel. Who knows the quality of fuel that sat in there all that time.
It sat for 3 years minimum. When I started the test ride it only had about 4 or 8 miles on the bike. Did a 35 minute test ride and ended with 20 miles on the odometer. I think the fuel in the filter crystallized and after riding it ruined the pump. When they pulled my original pump the filter was clean with no contamination.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hey @Wcm250f I appreciate you sticking with this post and letting us know what caused your bike to run poorly (old fuel taking out your fuel pump.) I'm glad it was sorted out under warranty. All that shop time diagnosing the issue would have cost a pretty penny otherwise. It's nice when a bike problem story ends well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey @Wcm250f I appreciate you sticking with this post and letting us know what caused your bike to run poorly (old fuel taking out your fuel pump.) I'm glad it was sorted out under warranty. All that shop time diagnosing the issue would have cost a pretty penny otherwise. It's nice when a bike problem story ends well.
Agreed. Did two trips in to work. Time for the first oil change.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts