GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My birthday is the end of June and my plan was to buy my bike at the end of March(tax return) but i thought what the **** my birthday is only a few more months away and so i figured what better way to get a new bike than on my birthday. I'll be able to save up more money and it will be my birthday present to myself:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Great! I got my s1000 for my birthday last year as well. Then I crashed it (well technically was crashed into) and got another one :p
What I'm saying is: birthday or no birthday, it is always a good time to get a new bike :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep that is true, sorry to hear about your bike, that sucks, did their insurance cover it? How do you like your S1000R

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yep that is true, sorry to hear about your bike, that sucks, did their insurance cover it? How do you like your S1000R
Well it's still the S1000 not the BMW S1000R, I don't need the BMW when Suzuki is this fantastic :)
Yes the insurance covered it.
In a sense it was a good thing, it was a learning experience - always assume everyone on the road is there actively trying to kill you, I only wish I didn't have to pay for it with blood and pain ;)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oops sorry my bad man, that was my mistake i didn't catch that on the S1000/S1000R, hope your fully recovered, was the Zuk your 1st, 2nd, 3rd bike? I have been comparing the gsx-s1000 and the z1000 for a long time, i'm on both forums, weighing the pros and cons of both bikes. This would be my 2nd bike, i honestly thought that since the gsx-s1000 made more power than the z1000 that it would put more power down through out the entire rpm range than the z1000 therefore making the z1000 more manageable. Little did i know that both bikes put out the same amount of power up until about 8500 rpm's then the Zuk starts to pull away due to making more hp, 160 compared to 142.

Both bikes are now listing at $7999 MSRP at various dealerships here in Cali, so i'm thinking if both bikes are the same price why not go with the ZUK, it has ABS and TC, and although it's geared higher than the z1000, it has a better seat and the suspension is not as hard. Since it is going to be my 2nd bike, i ask myself how long would it take to get used to it's power or would it be too much for a novice rider like myself. Other riders on this forum have more riding experience then myself and have ridden bikes that were a lot faster than my old FZ8. Then it comes down to right wrist control and taking your time with the bike, other members have mentioned using a throttle tamer on the Zuk along with a ECU reflash that helps with the fueling so that's something i could do. Since i haven't been on a bike in over a year, it would be something i'm gonna have to take time with.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Rhyno,
I'd be looking into the torque curves more so than the HP, as it's the torque that provides that daily satisfaction in pick up acceleration.
High end HP is to push your way through wind to reach and maintain high end speed; which to be honest does thrill, but really seldom achieved on your daily rides.
Also best fuel economy happens at peak torque point too.

And the oft forgotten feature of the 'Birthday Present' (for me anyway) is having both registration and insurances for all of my 2 bikes and 1 car, all come at the mailbox, same week, every year. Those recurring $$$ Birthday Card(s) 1+ year on, I could do without.

Rob.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol, i didn't think about that, it would be my yearly birthday gift, yeah registration fees. My riding mainly consist of 50% city riding, 30% canyon riding and 20% freeway/highway riding.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Honestly it's mission impossible to decide between the Z1000 and S1000, in my opinion it all comes down to styling, the differences in power are miniscule, and since it's not a racing bike, negligible.

Before the S1000 I was on a Z750r (Kawasaki), the difference is obviously huge, but that bike was a 2009 so there was literally nothing in terms of rider support.
I absolutely love TC, it saved my ass once on a wet road, I wouldn't have compensated in that rain with my butt alone ;)

Styling-wise Z1000 is not my thing, I love the lights!, but everything else doesn't work - I absolutely love the flow of the lines on the S1000.

IF I had to make this choice again, I would again go for the S,
IF I didn't care about the money, I would buy the S1000R (test rode and loved it) - this one was my favorite, but I just couldn't justify the ~40% premium and I wanted a new machine, not another used one.

PS. Oh god yes, a motorcycle is a gift that keeps on giving... tickets and bills ;P

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just never thought they were that close performance wise, i guess it's apples to apples between these two, the Zuk just has that edge. I wish i could afford a Europen naked bristling atop Mt. Olympus with all the techno wizardry but with a premium brand comes premium repairs and maintenance and the ability to afford to keep it running. The one bike i test rode that gave me a huge giggle factor was the Aprilia Tuono V4R, that engine noise is delicious esp under acceleration, WOW, that would be the one I would get or the new Triumph Speed Triple R.

·
Registered
974 Posts
So screw my birthday, gonna get the bike at the end of March.

Now it's not even a birthday present so you can get bling for it for your birthday :)

Reactions: Rhyno54

·
Registered
333 Posts
Nice idea!!!! go for it!!!!

Reactions: Rhyno54
1 - 13 of 13 Posts