GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The dealer replaced the oil and filter at 1000k's. They put in good mineral oil, which is fine, but I want to run fully synthetic in this bike. So it's on with the old Norton T shirt and disgracefully dirty black jeans as it's oil change time. 4000k's on the clock ,about 3000 of them at the local race track here in Perth.The cowl was 4 bolts and off, the filter looked too hard to remove with coolant reservoir in position, 1 bolt, and move aside . Was really pleased to see that there was next to nothing sticking to the sump plug magnet, and the oil , though discoloured, wasn't BLACK, in gee that looks buggared. 3.2litres of oil and a new filter later, all done , that was easy. Off to servo, fill tank ready for 300 + k's at the track this friday. Not having used fully synthetic before am curious to see if I can feel any difference. One friend said , ''she will run smoother and revs will spin up faster. Compared to my old V twin it spins up so fast am not sure I will notice an improvement.So you long time 4 cylinder riders, any thoughts on fully syn compared to mineral.Will it last longer than mineral ? I like to change oil every 3000k's as most of my riding is ride days at track and hardly have any time to get out on the street, so takes 4 months to clock up a measly 3000k's

·
Registered
299 Posts
I fill my oil filter up with oil before screwing it back onto the bike. If that's not done then the valves will ping until it fills up and starts circulating oil again.

·
Registered
204 Posts
For running in i am used Mineral (this is because it allows you to seat rings better)
After around 2000 km i swapped out for synthetic (it provides better lubrication and survives the pounding at high revs better)

As for feeling a difference between them I did not feel any difference. I would expect the oil to be in better shape after some hard Km and i expect the internals to survive better long term but would not expect to see any difference until 80k onwards to be honest. (prob will have sold it and upgraded by that point anyways)

·
Registered
147 Posts
For what its worth. I actually ask the head mechanic at the Dealer this exact question when I went for my first service. He indicated that they attended a workshop with Suzuki that had a great emphasis on oil. He reckoned that mineral based oil should be used for the first 10 000km and then synthetic thereafter. It apparently takes that long (10 000km) to fully ride in a new engine. Like someone said before, suppose it depends on how long you gonna keep your bike and what type of longevity and performance to want from it. I am also sure you will get many different views as well.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I changed over to full synth at 4000k and as expected I noticed no difference in performance, engine noise or gear changes and I only changed as i believe it would be better with some of our long very hot rides we do and lean running bike run very warm

Here is some good info

http://youtu.be/RpwrlWJMd40

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For running in i am used Mineral (this is because it allows you to seat rings better)
After around 2000 km i swapped out for synthetic (it provides better lubrication and survives the pounding at high revs better)

As for feeling a difference between them I did not feel any difference. I would expect the oil to be in better shape after some hard Km and i expect the internals to survive better long term but would not expect to see any difference until 80k onwards to be honest. (prob will have sold it and upgraded by that point anyways)
Yep and as i keep mine for usually a minimum 10 yrs and mostly don't trade in but sell to a private buyer, it' always a good feeling passing a much loved and well used bike on to a new owner knowing you've done your best to give them a well maintained bike, I have found over time i always get a premium price when i sell as the buyer appreciates the care factor.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For what its worth. I actually ask the head mechanic at the Dealer this exact question when I went for my first service. He indicated that they attended a workshop with Suzuki that had a great emphasis on oil. He reckoned that mineral based oil should be used for the first 10 000km and then synthetic thereafter. It apparently takes that long (10 000km) to fully ride in a new engine. Like someone said before, suppose it depends on how long you gonna keep your bike and what type of longevity and performance to want from it. I am also sure you will get many different views as well.
3000ks full throttle at the track + 1000ks on road =10,000ks average bloke riding, so engine is well and truly in , and hoping that synthetic is not just another multi national con job to make us pay for image and ads. Anyway giving it a go as this is a very sweet engine and will be keeping this bike until it's time for my son to inherit it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I fill my oil filter up with oil before screwing it back onto the bike. If that's not done then the valves will ping until it fills up and starts circulating oil again.
Not sure if it really matters for jap bikes , maybe old english , or harleys. Honda once gave me back a brand new bike in for first service , with the oil drained and new filter fitted with zero zip diddly squat oil replaced , i rode it 30 miles home, and was puzzled by how badly it was running . Discovered the problem , filled it up , and rode that bike for years with no engine issues at all, **** those japanese make good motors.

·
Registered
299 Posts
How many miles did you have on the bike, 4tune8? I'm guessing less than 10,000. Treating a motor well won't show it's benefits until 50,000+ miles, but nobody keeps Jap bikes that long. That's why people think they run so good. Because nobody ever keeps them. They trade them in at 10,000 miles and tell everyone how great they ran.

The people who own Harleys put 100,000++++ miles on them. With that many miles...anything and everything will break down. Then, when they break down with 110,000 miles, people will say "Look at that piece of **** Harley...typical broken down piece of crap. My Jap bike doesn't break down, ever! It's such good quality. I've owned it for 8 years and have never had a problem. Sure, I've only put 6,000 miles on it...but hey it's still a good Japanese quality bike".

Put 100,000 miles on your bike without changing the oil properly and then we'll talk about what does and does not matter :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How many miles did you have on the bike, 4tune8? I'm guessing less than 10,000. Treating a motor well won't show it's benefits until 50,000+ miles, but nobody keeps Jap bikes that long. That's why people think they run so good. Because nobody ever keeps them. They trade them in at 10,000 miles and tell everyone how great they ran.

The people who own Harleys put 100,000++++ miles on them. With that many miles...anything and everything will break down. Then, when they break down with 110,000 miles, people will say "Look at that piece of **** Harley...typical broken down piece of crap. My Jap bike doesn't break down, ever! It's such good quality. I've owned it for 8 years and have never had a problem. Sure, I've only put 6,000 miles on it...but hey it's still a good Japanese quality bike".

Put 100,000 miles on your bike without changing the oil properly and then we'll talk about what does and does not matter :)
I have to agree , I only part with a bike if i have to, lack of cash for new one, not coz there is anything wrong with them. My last suzuki V twin, was 12 yrs when I sold it and as don't get much time for touring these days it only had 50,000 on it when sold, but about 35000 of them were done on the track, I ride there twice a month as an on track marshall for 2 groups so tend to get about 300 in a day, and they are hard days, so am religious about changes and go half the distance of manufacturers recommended . So every 2500 to 3000 k's.My XS1100 had 150,000 on the clock when sold, but that was the 2nd speedo as broke one in a desert crash on the way to Ayers Rock.I only tease Harley and Triumph owners coz I know so many of them

·
Registered
164 Posts
Living in the Sonoran desert, I used synthetic as it had a greater BTU capacity (ie, can help reduce engine temp) than dino oil. Of course, I had air cooled bikes and this is my first water cooled bike.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts