GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wrote to the inventor of the Boosterplug, Jens Lyck, having had one fitted for a few years as the correspondence will explain:
Hello Jens,

My name is Steve; I've had the boosterplug on my Suzuki GSXS1000F ever since the bike, when new, stalled in first gear in a tight turn and threw me to the ground resulting in my sustaining a broken left tibia. Invesigations of fuel starvation problems, made whilst I was recovering, led me to Boosterplug. I had one fitted, and after convalescence returned to find that the snatchy throttle was effectively gone. I have been a staunch advocate of the Boosterplug ever since.. Recently I had Black Widow exhausts fitted to the bike, removing the catalytic converter and the exup valve. The removal of the exup valve was achieved with a Healtech device, but the lambda sensor fitted into a spigot on the new Black Widow pipes. It is difficult to determine if the new pipes make any difference to the torque or power but now the gas exits through the OEM muffler and has a good sound.
While riding yesterday, a friend, who is not a mechanic, but quite savvy, said that he could smell fuel as he rode behind me, and commented that the bike might be running too rich. He is a boosterplug convert having fitted them to his Suzuki gsxr's and his now bike a BMWGS. He suggested may be now that I have the new exhausts that I try disconnecting the boosterplug which given the present configuration of no catalytic converter and no exup valve, might be making hte bike run too rich. Might I ask your very valuable opinion as to whether this is a good idea.
Cheers

Steve

The Reply:
Hello Stephen,

I remember your story with the broken leg, and as the BoosterPlug fixed the problem on your bike it is obviously a great succes for our company and we have shared the story quite a few times :)

The aftermarket exhaust, removal of the catalytic converter, and the disabling of the exude valve will increase the air flow through the engine and it will therefore run leaner than stock - definitely not richer.

So there is no chance of your engine running rich with the current setup. It will be running lean and now it really needs the small controlled fuel enrichment from the BoosterPlug.

Please see the details on aftermarket exhausts and the BoosterPlug on this page in our FAQ section: Will the BoosterPlug work with aftermarket exhausts and air filters ?

If you really can smell fuel from a bike, it needs to run extremely rich, and neither your exhaust setup or the BoosterPlug can cause this, so the smell your friend noticed must have been from another vehicle on the road (or any other possible source).

Best Regards

Jens Lyck

·
Registered
474 Posts
From what I've seen the bike does not run lean for the most part, let me explain this.
I have a pc5 with autotune, the autotune was setup with a blank map eg 0 in all fields, since then I've done about 1300miles, the majority of the map has minus figures (as in its reducing fuel) the bike is better to ride and smoother however still has on off throttle snatch (albeit way better). The only time a stock bike would lean out more would be under constant throttle when it goes into closed loop.
So if booster plug just adds fuel across the range it would be adding more fuel than stock except under closed loop.
I'm not an expert but I would say it's over fueling at certain points, just like what your friend suggested.
I'm not fan of booster plug, it boils down to a resistor which enhances fuel by so many percent, this may not be what the bike actually needs, for example my bike at 10% throttle at 4000rpm is -7 and at 3250rpm its 5, so that is a 12 difference. From what I understand booster plug adds 5-6% extra fuel, so on my bike the fuel would be 12-13% too high.
The booster plug may work well sometimes if the bike is running lean across the board, however it did not make mine better, it was worse and smelt a little of fuel at idle.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but this is how I understand it.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
474 Posts
From what I've seen the bike does not run lean for the most part, let me explain this.
I have a pc5 with autotune, the autotune was setup with a blank map eg 0 in all fields, since then I've done about 1300miles, the majority of the map has minus figures (as in its reducing fuel) the bike is better to ride and smoother however still has on off throttle snatch (albeit way better). The only time a stock bike would lean out more would be under constant throttle when it goes into closed loop.
So if booster plug just adds fuel across the range it would be adding more fuel than stock except under closed loop.
I'm not an expert but I would say it's over fueling at certain points, just like what your friend suggested.
I'm not fan of booster plug, it boils down to a resistor which enhances fuel by so many percent, this may not be what the bike actually needs, for example my bike at 10% throttle at 4000rpm is -7 and at 3250rpm its 5, so that is a 12 difference. From what I understand booster plug adds 5-6% extra fuel, so on my bike the fuel would be 12-13% too high.
The booster plug may work well sometimes if the bike is running lean across the board, however it did not make mine better, it was worse and smelt a little of fuel at idle.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but this is how I understand it.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts