GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bled both front calipers and replaced fluid. Lever feels good but still has more travel than I really like. Notice that the master cylinder also has a bleed valve. Can I need this now without doing the calipers again? Does the master cylinder add to the lever feel. Possible that the master cab have air in it when calipers do not? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hrmmm, this user name looks familiar :)

Typically the master is the last item to bleed. You bleed the farthest caliper (left), then the other caliper (right), then the master, so no harm in bleeding it now. It will change the feel a bit, but it's also possible that there is a stubborn air bubble somewhere. Are you using a vacuum bleeder? I find that the vacuum bleeder is great for pulling fluid through the system, but I like the old fashioned way with a tube and squeezing the lever to get the final few bubbles out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Pat. Yep it's Tony. You got a gsxs too? Good hearing from u. Yep doing it old school, no mighty vac. Going to try to make time tonight to bleed the master. Good to hear that I can do it after the calipers

·
Registered
159 Posts
Smart riders. I have a naked 2016. If you're still on the stock pads, I'd recommend changing them out. Brakes felt much better to me once I switched to EBC pads.

·
Registered
538 Posts
As said you should bleed the master cylinder last anyway, although I go round in circles to make sure. I also leave a zip tie round the lever over night, works a treat.
I heard that raising the front helps with bleeding brakes that have abs, I have not bled a bike with abs so I'm not sure, however when doing it on my golf I had to use vagcom to go through a brake bleeding sequence, normal bleeding did not work at all. I'd like to know if this is the case on bikes??

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bled the master. Still feels the same. It’s not bad and is safe just travels more than my other bike. Should be getting my new vesrah rjl pads tomorrow. Hoping that helps.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
In my experience from the Schools of Life, if you have ABS brakes, always use vacuum bleeding if you get air into the system.
Otherwise you will get spongy brakes. If your just changing the fluid, never let the master cylinder level get too low, for the same reason.

Rob.

·
Registered
54 Posts
FWIW Factory manual shows the master cylinder getting bled first. It also describes bleeding using the pump, hold, open bleeder method. A little surprised it does not describe using a vacuum pump, my method for years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts