GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've fitted some new levers and brake pads so decided to do a full fluid change and bleed. Caliper bleeding was OK, but f**k knows why they put the bleed nipple facing inwards. However whatever angle I tried I couldn't get enough room to bleed the Master Cylinder properly.

I ended up almost keeping the nipple right on the cusp but wasn't happy that I could give it a good nip after cracking it. I am a self admitted mechanical amateur but I have never had this much hassle bleeding previous bikes.

Anyone got any tips/tricks to get myself more space for the spanner?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I haven’t bled my brakes yet so can’t advise. I figured I’d have to remove the front wheel to make access easier, and put speed bleeders on to reduce future hassle.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have replaced the brake fluid twice on my bike and it is not too easy (at least for me) given that the caliper nipples are on the inside. So I can't reach them and the brake lever at the same time. Last time I'm on the floor with the box end wrench and the wife is squeezing the lever and keeping the fresh fluid topped off.

I open the nipple and she squeezes the lever, then I close the nipple and she releases the lever---- over and over while keeping fluid in the resivoir. Once clean fluid comes out at the bottom, we change procedure for the last go round..... with the nipple closed she squeezes the lever to pressurize the system and I crack the nipple to expell any small amount of air down by the nipple.

Although not too easy on this bike, this method has worked great. The lever ends up nice and firm. And since I have never let the resivour suck air I have never had to bleed the master cylinder.

·
Registered
17 Posts
G'day Barstewardsquad.
Have you tried taking the Caliper off the fork, put a piece off wood (I use plywood) where the disc should be, then bleed as normal. Once you have done one side, do the same on the other side. Yes it's extra work but a lot less painful.

Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
That's the way I do it except I use a couple of old brake pads instead of piece of ply (y)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts