GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
local night hangout guy i know been riding 1000rr for 2 years.....he owned several gsxr before that...he was checking out the s....told him to take it for a spin...he came back and said this feels so much stronger then the rr in the short ride he took...mostly city side roads...

·
Registered
974 Posts
I was looking through the BMW forum the other night and them bikes have so many faults with them and a lot of people complaining about quality ? Except for the snatchy throttle and hard suspension their is rarely a fault or complaint posted on this site for our bike.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking through the BMW forum the other night and them bikes have so many faults with them and a lot of people complaining about quality ? Except for the snatchy throttle and hard suspension their is rarely a fault or complaint posted on this site for our bike.
hes going back to suzuki talked to him tonight.....i finally softened my suspension what a difference didnt bother with sag settings i knew it didnt move much when sitting on it and just weight of bike both front and rear stayed topped out....took for a ride and felt great....highway and city,,,,,,

·
Registered
328 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got a s1000rr
It's a 2011 which I've had for about 18 months
I've had loads of problems Inc top engine rebuild
How anyone can call it a premium product I'll never know
Previously I've owned gsxr''s for over 20 years and never had any real problems
Everything is 3/4 times the price to fix also
Example: front wheel bearings gsxr €40
BMW = €168
Also my starter motor went and you can't buy the brushes like you can with suzuki you have to buy the complete unit €460, a complete rip off

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ouch.....im lucky i never had an attraction to anything except suzuki honda....suzuki being number 1....Powders you thinking of going back to suzuki

·
Registered
719 Posts
it sucks because BMW bikes are very sexy looking and on paper those things are awesome. However, my experience with BMW (cars and bikes) has shown me they are not very reliable. More than any other brand, I hear people tell me how some very expensive part needs repair when its just out of warranty....myself included. BMW is the perfect example of how some of the new technologies they are sticking in their bikes dont necessarily result in better motorcycle....especially if you cant ride it because its getting fixed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Totally agree
I bought it because I loved the look of it and it always gets great write up's but that's just journalists riding it for an hour or so
It's a different story when you own it and have to pay huge money for servicing and parts fail way too often
It's just not worth the hassle and expense

·
Registered
328 Posts
meanwhile....

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
I own a 2011 S1000RR and the GSX-S, the power bands are completely different. I've had zero reliability issues with the RR.

The RR makes insane power higher up and keeps going until about 13K, tunnel vision blurring, rip your arms off power.
That said I don't miss the hp of the RR when riding the GSX-S at all, plenty of power down low and up. The GSX-S is so much more comfortable I think they make great companion bikes, if I had to choose I would keep the GSX-S.

·
Registered
72 Posts
it sucks because BMW bikes are very sexy looking and on paper those things are awesome. However, my experience with BMW (cars and bikes) has shown me they are not very reliable. More than any other brand, I hear people tell me how some very expensive part needs repair when its just out of warranty....myself included. BMW is the perfect example of how some of the new technologies they are sticking in their bikes dont necessarily result in better motorcycle....especially if you cant ride it because its getting fixed.
BMW motorcycles come with a 3 year 36K warranty and mine even included roadside assistance.
By the end of three years you should have the bike pretty well sorted out without paying a dime for repairs.

·
Registered
719 Posts
The fact that there is even a question about reliability and amount of time the bike spends in the shop versus you riding should be a big red flag.

One thing that I never see in Suzuki forums is that their bike had to spend significant amount of time in the shop. Or that they were waiting on parts. Or that some basic service could not be completed at home because it requires a ridiculous BMW specific tool.... I know more than one mechanic touch BMW bike because of how specific the tools they use are. It seems obvious that BMW makes these specialty tools so that no one other than a BMW shop can fix the thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
ive always ridden Suzuki's except back in 2009 I purchased a BMW F800GS (dual sport). Between the multiple recalls and expensive special tools it was constant money drain. Last straw for me was when i found out I had to take to the dealer after every oil change because they had to reset the SERVICE light with a 400 dollar tool. I will say they have great resale value as I sold mine for about 200 less then I purchased and riding it for a year.

B=Bring
M=More
W=Wallet

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i always liked when it was said...i havent done anything to this bike in 10 years i just ride it.....well that tells me alot and over time you realize theres only one kind of bike in the world that performs like that.......yes the Jap bikes...nothing comes close

·
Registered
158 Posts
A lot of companies don't even support their bikes after they are 7-8 years old. I was still getting new in box parts for my 82 gs750e in 1996 from what I've seen only Suzuki and Honda bother supporting their older bikes. Harley doesn't count since a lot of their parts stay the same 20 -40 yrs.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A lot of companies don't even support their bikes after they are 7-8 years old. I was still getting new in box parts for my 82 gs750e in 1996 from what I've seen only Suzuki and Honda bother supporting their older bikes. Harley doesn't count since a lot of their parts stay the same 20 -40 yrs.
harley dealers dont work on there bikes after so many years old....harley parts are always changing 4 different motors in last 25 years..probably 6 cubic inch changes also.....

1 - 20 of 35 Posts