GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right Guys.....
I want geniune experiences/feedback on this device.
Has it solved or reduced the throttle sharpness.
This on-off action from a closed throttle is by far the worst issue with the gsx.
Need to sort it or reduce it one way or another otherwise gonna thro it in the bin and buy a MT10....... and dont want t be spending £00000's.

cheers .

·
Registered
2015 GSX-S1000 ABS
1,599 Posts
Now I never had much of an issue with the throttle but (as I posted elsewhere) I fitted one mainly out of curiosity.
The throttle seems to have a bit less of an edge on opening and feels really smooth. Plus I can dribble along in traffic queues on tick-over with less fear of stalling I shall definitely be keeping it.
Do what I did (£106 delivered won't break the bank will it?) before throwing your bike away.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks dekker... im not after a complete remedy just a litle improvement.
My bike is very on/off at low revs.. by far the worst ive had on any bike.
Cheers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
For all those complaining about the "Snatchy Throttle" mine was the same at first. If it's any HELP I adjusted the throttle cable up so as to have very minimum freeplay & straight away noticed huge difference, throttle much smoother around town & on high speed bumpy country roads! Snatchy abrupt throttle GONE!. It was like riding a completely different bike, a much more pleasurable ride.

·
Registered
451 Posts
People get angry if you talk truth, and booster plug in the same thread.

There is no half solution to messed up fueling now. It is the result of new emissions requirements. You can flat oit prove a machine does not need this product, and be the horses ass for doing so.

If my bike had one, my next step would be to search, "removing carbon deposits, best product" In time, this is what youll get from adding fuel to a motor thats already running rich.

In 2004, this was not an issue, and this product had merit. People pay money for cheap and easy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Right Guys.....
I want geniune experiences/feedback on this device.
Has it solved or reduced the throttle sharpness.
This on-off action from a closed throttle is by far the worst issue with the gsx.
Need to sort it or reduce it one way or another otherwise gonna thro it in the bin and buy a MT10....... and dont want t be spending £00000's.

cheers .
Ok…..you asked; I have fitted the booster plug & have noticed a reduction in the "hunting" around the 2500-3000rpm but it is not gone completely unfortunately. On my bike the snatchy throttle was not the major issue, it is the state of tune at those low revs especially when in 3rd or 4th gear in slow moving traffic. The engine has what I describe as a flutter/hunting issue which I still find very annoying even after fitting the booster plug & throttle tamer. During warm-up (the first five minutes of riding) the bike is smoother but the weather here in Perth has been pretty warm of late (around 35-40 degrees C) & I have found the warmer the day the more noticeable the issue. It maybe that the booster plug is more suited to cooler climates? The throttle tamer also has helped but unfortunately I am now at the point where I consider a remap is the only solution. I love this bike when able to use it the way intended but for the everyday commute in metro traffic it can (at times) be very annoying. I will stick with it for the moment in hope someone will come up with a fix all solution.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Martin, this is irritating, but...

100% chance the mt 10 will be the same way. Worse? slightly better, who knows, but it wont be right. How can I say this?

Look at this dyno chart . Its the 2015 r1. Look what happened to low end torque @ 3000 rpm

http://www.sportrider.com/r1-flashback#page-2

What you want almost cant be done today AND keep the bike emissions legal.

You could visit my garage. Inside you'll find one suzuki, one Yamaha, and one Kawasakis with the same issue.

The bike without the issue had an ecu reflash and power commander fitted. Its not the bike, or the company. Its the rules. At some point, someone will have a reflash for this bike. Suzuki may even offer an updated version. It took Yamaha a few years to make their fz09 better.

Tow or three plugs and a trip to the post office will do it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I installed the booster plug about 4000km ago as a test. It did iron out the throttle snatch for me. The front wheel still lifts up at the same rev points as it did before. Torque urgency from about 1500rpm feels stronger. Everything over 5000rpm feels the same all the way to red line. I checked the plugs after a week of having the booster plug fitted and its still the same normal brown, so it doesn't seem to be over rich. Checking it next time I change the oil, another 400km at 6000km just to see if it is still normal. It sorted out the only gripe I had with the bike which was the throttle having a mind of its own at certain times and engine hunting between 1500-3000rpm when moving with slow traffic. I also adjusted the cable tension to minimal play when I first got the bike. I placed the external temp sensor under the right side plastics to get plenty of fresh air and away from the engine heat. Filtering in the city feels spot on. Very controllable, Not too jerky during on off applications. I have been riding in temperatures ranging 20 deg c to 40 deg c days and engine feels very consistent. I wonder how it will perform come winter time in Sydney though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good luck with a smooth throttle on the MT-10 Martin, when I test rode the GSX-S1000F the throttle snatch was non existent compared to my XJ6. :eek:

·
Registered
209 Posts
For all those complaining about the "Snatchy Throttle" mine was the same at first. If it's any HELP I adjusted the throttle cable up so as to have very minimum freeplay & straight away noticed huge difference, throttle much smoother around town & on high speed bumpy country roads! Snatchy abrupt throttle GONE!. It was like riding a completely different bike, a much more pleasurable ride.
agreed

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have 4,500 miles on my bike and it's smooth as a baby's butt. Honestly, I can't remember if I had any snatchy throttle or not. Personally, I don't think there is such a thing. I think it's psychosomatic. The more people talk about it the more people concentrate on trying to detect it, and in the process make up what they think is a so-called 'Snatchy' throttle. I think all you "snatchy" throttle people have mental problems :)

But seriously, I swear on my father's grave that the snatchiness of the throttle goes away after 3,000 miles or 4,500 kilometers. Once the motor is fully broken in, the snatchiness goes away. Those who are not patient enough, or ride their bikes enough, or just plain like to spend money on stuff they don't need, go ahead and get an ECU. But if you ride the bike for a while, and stop thinking about it, it will go away.

You should be able to put 3,000 miles/4,500 kilometers on your bike in 3 or 4 months. Get out there and ride it. Winter is over...time to RIDE!!!!

Reactions: lumberjack

·
Registered
209 Posts
no ....this bike throttle is like no other....I have had 40 bikes, and nothing like this. Not really an issue, just have to go easy with the wrist :)

·
Registered
974 Posts
I have 4,500 miles on my bike and it's smooth as a baby's butt. Honestly, I can't remember if I had any snatchy throttle or not. Personally, I don't think there is such a thing. I think it's psychosomatic. The more people talk about it the more people concentrate on trying to detect it, and in the process make up what they think is a so-called 'Snatchy' throttle. I think all you "snatchy" throttle people have mental problems :)

But seriously, I swear on my father's grave that the snatchiness of the throttle goes away after 3,000 miles or 4,500 kilometers. Once the motor is fully broken in, the snatchiness goes away. Those who are not patient enough, or ride their bikes enough, or just plain like to spend money on stuff they don't need, go ahead and get an ECU. But if you ride the bike for a while, and stop thinking about it, it will go away.

You should be able to put 3,000 miles/4,500 kilometers on your bike in 3 or 4 months. Get out there and ride it. Winter is over...time to RIDE!!!!
What an absolute load of bull ****

·
Registered
184 Posts
I installed mine on the 2nd of December 2015. It has greatly improved the smoothness and the throttle response. I can lane filter without it hunting below 30km/h between 1500-3000rpm and feels just as strong the rest of the way up to 10500.

I rode a fellow riders GSXS1000 who had a tuned bazzaz. I was thinking of getting a PCV with auto tune if I can tell a notable difference with a tuned ecu. I did not feel any difference except for the very top end. There is a slight flat spot present on mine and his at about 4500rpm - 4900rpm. I dont know if that's just a characteristic of the motor.
Before the installation, I had about 1500km on the bike. I now have 6500km on the bike riding an even mix of mountain, commuting and highway. No track. Air temp was between about 10c - 35c. Felt great in all situations. How it should have been.

I checked the spark plugs during my last oil change at 6000km. They were fine. Not running rich at all. So it seems to have sorted out the issue for me. I mounted the external temp sensor under the plastic panel on the right side with the Suzuki badge on it.

Also, my handlebars are set at stock position, the throttle cable has minimal play and I have tuned my suspension so the front end doesn't crash in bumps to aid smoothness compared to stock setup. Hope that helps.

Look like I'm digging a dead one but is there any recent updates from folks that installed the BP long term? @madmartin did you install the thing? :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks Adrian. I installed the tamer & adjust free play and front forks and can say it fixes 90% of the snatching. The remain issue that I'm looking for solution is hunting at low RPM. No matter how gentle I'm with the throttle, keeping constant 40km/h is impossible. My temp here is roughly around 32 Celsius all year long. Not sure if the BP would help with my case.

·
Registered
184 Posts
That was actually the main reason why I thought i'd give this a try. The hunting was difficult to control when filtering. Fixed that problem.
Thanks Adrian. I installed the tamer & adjust free play and front forks and can say it fixes 90% of the snatching. The remain issue that I'm looking for solution is hunting at low RPM. No matter how gentle I'm with the throttle, keeping constant 40km/h is impossible. My temp here is roughly around 32 Celsius all year long. Not sure if the BP would help with my case.

·
Registered
974 Posts
That was actually the main reason why I thought i'd give this a try. The hunting was difficult to control when filtering. Fixed that problem.
I believe the hunting is caused by the ECU leaning the bike out at a constant speed changing from an open/closed loop, the ideal fix is for an ECU flash to turn it off which has been done, I find by very slowly speeding up and slowing down it makes it a lot better , a nuisance we should not have to do but it works
The problem with the booster plug is it can over fuel at times , one of my friends brought one for his lean running SV 1000 and you can at times see and smell the unburnt fuel comming out of the exhaust

Reactions: adrianpeds
1 - 20 of 43 Posts