GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been for a quick spin at last with the BoosterPlug fitted and have to say a marked improvement with a snatchy throttle problem, at least a 70% improvement I would say, not perfect but I'm happy with the bike now... Bloody well wish I knew about the BoosterPlug sooner before spending £500 on a PCv and custom tune.....:D

·
Registered
261 Posts
On the fence about this mod but have heard overwhelmingly positive results, that being said i kinda like my bikes frenetic nature so not sure about making her milder... Glad you love your results!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Just been for a quick spin at last with the BoosterPlug fitted and have to say a marked improvement with a snatchy throttle problem, at least a 70% improvement I would say, not perfect but I'm happy with the bike now... Bloody well wish I knew about the BoosterPlug sooner before spending £500 on a PCv and custom tune.....:D
All you needed to do was manually add more fuel blocks to your PCV map in the affected area (typically 2 - 2.5K RPM at 1% and 5% throttle). Your tuner would have automatically tuned for HP across the range using a closed-loop dyno that would not have done much for low-rpm hesitation (unless you specifically asked him to). In my opinion (and I'm standing by, ready to be flamed) you've taken a massive step backwards in tunability to implement a 70%, non-adjustable "sledgehammer" solution. Yes, the PCV option takes a lot more effort to setup correctly (and a dyno tune won't necessarily do it, because it doesn't "ride" your bike and "feel" it) but I'm 90% of the way there after a couple of weeks of tinkering, and still believe it's the best option (again, as long as you like tinkering). Once I've worked out the best low-rpm tune, I'm going to get a dyno tune done and then combine the maps (use elements of mine down low, and the professional tune for midrange and high, which is where the dyno can do a much better job than I).

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All you needed to do was manually add more fuel blocks to your PCV map in the affected area (typically 2 - 2.5K RPM at 1% and 5% throttle). Your tuner would have automatically tuned for HP across the range using a closed-loop dyno that would not have done much for low-rpm hesitation (unless you specifically asked him to). In my opinion (and I'm standing by, ready to be flamed) you've taken a massive step backwards in tunability to implement a 70%, non-adjustable "sledgehammer" solution. Yes, the PCV option takes a lot more effort to setup correctly (and a dyno tune won't necessarily do it, because it doesn't "ride" your bike and "feel" it) but I'm 90% of the way there after a couple of weeks of tinkering, and still believe it's the best option (again, as long as you like tinkering). Once I've worked out the best low-rpm tune, I'm going to get a dyno tune done and then combine the maps (use elements of mine down low, and the professional tune for midrange and high, which is where the dyno can do a much better job than I).
Very interesting Rod... But as I understand it, it's pointless throwing fuel at closed injectors .... I'm going to put my PCv back on with the BoosterPlug and see what happens..:laugh:

·
Registered
719 Posts
Very interesting Rod... But as I understand it, it's pointless throwing fuel at closed injectors .... I'm going to put my PCv back on with the BoosterPlug and see what happens..:laugh:
that was my understanding as well however, when Ive added fuel to the Closed injector section of my fuel table (or subtracted for the matter) the engine obviously is responding to my changes. something is happening

·
Registered
334 Posts
that was my understanding as well however, when Ive added fuel to the Closed injector section of my fuel table (or subtracted for the matter) the engine obviously is responding to my changes. something is happening
For sure. I've noticed the same thing. I reckon the ECU is simply sending zero fuel (or very close too it) and that it can still be overridden by the PCV.

·
Registered
974 Posts
For sure. I've noticed the same thing. I reckon the ECU is simply sending zero fuel (or very close too it) and that it can still be overridden by the PCV.

That's interesting as my thoughts and I could be wrong here is the PCV values are a percentage of the injector values so if the value is zero then no percentage will help, maybe they are still sending a very small amount

·
Registered
334 Posts
That's interesting as my thoughts and I could be wrong here is the PCV values are a percentage of the injector values so if the value is zero then no percentage will help, maybe they are still sending a very small amount
From Dynojet: "Our values in the table represent a percentage of fuel change relative to injector pulse width."

So you are correct, in that it's a %/- of the base pulse (the duration for which the injector is "open"). All I can say is that by adding blocks in the ranges where fuel is minimal (I won't use the word "cut", because I don't believe it is the case) I can definitely alleviate the stumbling/hesitation. Keep in mind that boosterplug simply adds ~6% everywhere. It doesn't have the ability to turn the injectors on if they were indeed switched off.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
i read the booster plug FAQ in there long version website....read quick was at work...said its not adding fuel all the time ..at steady speed on highway its off or idle... total its 1 or 2 percent more fuel over all and many find better gas mileage .....none of the talk on forum about booster plug talks about that.....did i read wrong am i missing something its not 6 percent across the rpm range....im a believer in a stock bike will run better overall riding in 4 seasons of weather.....but this booster plug seems to be the biggest bang for the buck....you do realize you can gain quickness and smoothness without your top hp number changing

·
Registered
974 Posts
i read the booster plug FAQ in there long version website....read quick was at work...said its not adding fuel all the time ..at steady speed on highway its off or idle... total its 1 or 2 percent more fuel over all and many find better gas mileage .....none of the talk on forum about booster plug talks about that.....did i read wrong am i missing something its not 6 percent across the rpm range....im a believer in a stock bike will run better overall riding in 4 seasons of weather.....but this booster plug seems to be the biggest bang for the buck....you do realize you can gain quickness and smoothness without your top hp number changing

your right it's not 6 percent it tricks it into thinking it's 6 degrees cooler so it's calculated then in the ecu altering just a couple of percent, also yes it has no effect on constant throttle if you have the 02 still connected as it runs in closed loop

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
your right it's not 6 percent it tricks it into thinking it's 6 degrees cooler so it's calculated then in the ecu altering just a couple of percent, also yes it has no effect on constant throttle if you have the 02 still connected as it runs in closed loop
i know you meant 20 deg cooler temp thanks for reply...so gsxs is closed loop and booster plug runs best with closed loop system...is there any other reason not to run closed loop..i ask because most talk about running 6 percent richer all the time and i cant understand why they say that...is it because they dont know how it works......or are they running open loop for some reason

·
Registered
334 Posts
If you read the boosterplug website in full, especially the section that attempts to discount the powercommander, their whole premise is that bikes typically have a well-designed stock map from the factory, and that you don't need to mess with it too much to make it great. I think we all know that this is simply not the case with these bikes.

I do, however, agree that if you want a cheap way to get it 80% right (as per LEAVEITSTOCK's "Bang for Buck" statement) then this device is a good way to go, especially if you're simply not into (or don't have the time) to mess with your own fuelling.

·
Registered
974 Posts
i know you meant 20 deg cooler temp thanks for reply...so gsxs is closed loop and booster plug runs best with closed loop system...is there any other reason not to run closed loop..i ask because most talk about running 6 percent richer all the time and i cant understand why they say that...is it because they dont know how it works......or are they running open loop for some reason

I'm not sure I understand your comments, do you understand the open/closed loop system?
It almost sound like your going to have to change your user name

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I'm not sure I understand your comments, do you understand the open/closed loop system?
It almost sound like your going to have to change your user name
well booster plug from what i think i read...can run either way....closed loop or open,,,,but if used in open loop it will run 6 percent richer all the time any rpm...where closed loop it can adjust lower percent of gas or not be on at all......yes no maybe

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well booster plug from what i think i read...can run either way....closed loop or open,,,,but if used in open loop it will run 6 percent richer all the time any rpm...where closed loop it can adjust lower percent of gas or not be on at all......yes no maybe
All I know the BoosterPlug has made my bike a lot more enjoyable to ride by pretty much eliminating the snatchy throttle syndrome ....:laugh:

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
If you read the boosterplug website in full, especially the section that attempts to discount the powercommander, their whole premise is that bikes typically have a well-designed stock map from the factory, and that you don't need to mess with it too much to make it great. I think we all know that this is simply not the case with these bikes.

I do, however, agree that if you want a cheap way to get it 80% right (as per LEAVEITSTOCK's "Bang for Buck" statement) then this device is a good way to go, especially if you're simply not into (or don't have the time) to mess with your own fuelling.
thanks for reply ROD....i think they say stock maps are lean for the most part because of epa...but having to map around lean then i would say, they do a good job......most want some smoothness down low...there happy with the power.....many many threads of power commander users who been looking for maps ,,changing maps...adding fuel here an there...taking away fuel....for months and months now probably longer.....so there probably at 80 percent fix also......i agree you can gain a little more power with pc...but its a little more thats all, and dyno curve looks the same it follows the stock curve ..it dips and rises at the same places on dyno chart....its a few ponys more that you dont feel.... ....guess bottom line is theres no 100 percent......and if booster plug is 80 percent fix ..theres nothing more one can ask for

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
All I know the BoosterPlug has made my bike a lot more enjoyable to ride by pretty much eliminating the snatchy throttle syndrome ....:laugh:[/QUOTE

thats what i want to here...your probably the 2nd million person to say that :laugh:......hard to deny it works

·
Registered
334 Posts
I just rode my bike with the PCV map built for the UK Superbike Magazine review by the head of Dynojet UK, and it's absolutely brilliant. Forget 80% right, this is 95% for my money. Good enough that I'm putting my USB cable away and just riding this thing now. Will post another thread about it shortly.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
just watched a few dale walker pt 1 dyno run, stock gsx 1000f,,,from idle up to 4000 rpm ..A/F was as high as 17.1...after 4000 a/f is not bad.......videos go from part 1 to 6 shows dyno runs and what was done....thats the snatchy throttle problem.....after airbox mod .tuner slipon..ect 146 hp...stock was 136 to 140.....after 40 or so dyno runs with mods gained 6 hp........once full exhaust added 150 plus....60 dyno runs later....his final tune was on the street,,,because the dyno dont show real world results....his words not mine.....so long story short the booster plugs gives the extra fuel the gsxs needs to smooth it out.........now these.s are my words the power commander from what i seen from one of the best.....you will not run that much better over all , power commander vs booster plug unless your a pro tuner and invest 30 or 40 dyno runs....and still does not reflect how it will run in the street.....,,ordering a booster plug now

·
Registered
974 Posts
just watched a few dale walker pt 1 dyno run, stock gsx 1000f,,,from idle up to 4000 rpm ..A/F was as high as 17.1...after 4000 a/f is not bad.......videos go from part 1 to 6 shows dyno runs and what was done....thats the snatchy throttle problem.....after airbox mod .tuner slipon..ect 146 hp...stock was 136 to 140.....after 40 or so dyno runs with mods gained 6 hp........once full exhaust added 150 plus....60 dyno runs later....his final tune was on the street,,,because the dyno dont show real world results....his words not mine.....so long story short the booster plugs gives the extra fuel the gsxs needs to smooth it out.........now these.s are my words the power commander from what i seen from one of the best.....you will not run that much better over all , power commander vs booster plug unless your a pro tuner and invest 30 or 40 dyno runs....and still does not reflect how it will run in the street.....,,ordering a booster plug now

Don't forget to change your username

1 - 20 of 60 Posts