GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2015 GSX-S1000 ABS
1,830 Posts
I've put braided lines (HEL) on a 1250 Bandit and a B-King and never felt any difference. I wouldn't bother again.
The only time I noticed some improvement was when I replaced some custom levers on the B-King with the OEM ones, much better feel.
It might be more worthwhile if you are going on track I guess, due to the heat generated.

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Registered
152 Posts
I had HEL braided brake lines on my GSXR and found they improved the brakes quite a bit. I fitted HEL sintered brake pads as well so that might have helped.

I think with the Brembos, braided lines as standard would have been a bit of a boon, however I find the brakes up to the job so won't be changing anything until it comes time for renewal of pads at least.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have not even got my bike yet with the onset of winter not bothering until Feb 2016. But braided hoses and sintered pads will be first on the list. I have fit them on other bikes and have always found a genuine gain M.H.O. I also intend to fit rad guard, fender extender and see how we go from there.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Made a big improvement on my SV1000 converted the the 6 year old standard front cross over lines to 2 single lines with Carbone Lorraine pads, brilliant set up IMHO...:D

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have the gsxr brembos on my bike. You dont need lines, you need pads. The stock pads we get are very, very weak. Once those are replaced, its a good system.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the gsxr brembos on my bike. You dont need lines, you need pads. The stock pads we get are very, very weak. Once those are replaced, its a good system.
But the standard Suzuki lines will deteriorate after a year or two...!!!:(

·
Registered
451 Posts
But the standard Suzuki lines will deteriorate after a year or two...!!!:(
The stainless wrapped ones will too. One of my customers makes these lines. They have a service life just like everything else does.

The stock lines on our bikes have dot approval. Aftermarket? LOL

In time, you'll replace all rubber parts, but these brake lines that the bikes come with are not near as bad as we give them credit for being.

Sure, do them eventually, but if you want the calipers to be amazing, step one is pads, step 2 is a master cylinder from a ducati. I did a ton of research and the master cylinder form the 1098 series is perfect for our calipers.

step three is lines.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The stainless wrapped ones will too. One of my customers makes these lines. They have a service life just like everything else does.

The stock lines on our bikes have dot approval. Aftermarket? LOL

In time, you'll replace all rubber parts, but these brake lines that the bikes come with are not near as bad as we give them credit for being.
Agreed... But braided lines will not contaminate brake fluid and turn it black...lol...;)

·
Registered
451 Posts
Agreed... But braided lines will not contaminate brake fluid and turn it black...lol...;)
The black color is not from the lines. The black if from moisture and heat and has little to nothing to do with line material.

I wish I were allowed to take a picture of the machine making lines for the ejection seat in the XXXX. I believe the guy from Homeland would be looking for me if I did. Stainless is not a great hose braiding, and its heavy.

They use kevlar thread. The machine is like this.

Braiding Machine.Flexible Metal Hose Production Line. Stock Photos - Image: 30393693

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The black color is not from the lines. The black if from moisture and heat and has little to nothing to do with line material.

I wish I were allowed to take a picture of the machine making lines for the ejection seat in the XXXX. I believe the guy from Homeland would be looking for me if I did. Stainless is not a great hose braiding, and its heavy.

They use kevlar thread. The machine is like this.

Braiding Machine.Flexible Metal Hose Production Line. Stock Photos - Image: 30393693
Hmmm.. Interesting, but how I understand it brake fluid turns brown/black because of the desegregation of the rubber hoses.. On my SV1000 the front brake braided lines are clear but on the clutch standard Suzuki rubber line the fluid is discolored... both fluids were renewed at the same time about 18 months ago...?....:)

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I'll second that. Your hoses should be good for three or four years before they start to loose their feel.
Master cylinder is the way to go if you want more bite. And keeping everything properly serviced of course:)
But then there is the Bling factor;)

·
Registered
451 Posts
Hmmm.. Interesting, but how I understand it brake fluid turns brown/black because of the desegregation of the rubber hoses.. On my SV1000 the front brake braided lines are clear but on the clutch standard Suzuki rubber line the fluid is discolored... both fluids were renewed at the same time about 18 months ago...?....:)
Yes, and I agree. The clutch side picks up much more heat and is used more than our front brake.

My concours 14 pretty much needs clutch fluid changed twice as often as the brake fluid.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Did they explain the reasons why?:confused:
I am planning to instal the lines and brembo RCS19 to my 1000A next week. Should i not to do the lines? :eek:
\Abs typically has lines going every which way.

For example, front brake line needs to start at lever, go to the abs pump, then back to the front caliper. Just that can be 7-8 feet worth of line.

Much of that line is high quality. As good, or better than aftermarket.

Same story out back.

You better get anew seat cover. You'll crap your pants when you install that new master cylinder. The first time you hit the lever brings about a "So thats what its supposed to be like..feeling."

You'll have improved the feel. If outright power is not there, try some Vesrah pads. If you can do both, by all means do it.

·
Registered
20 Posts

For example, front brake line needs to start at lever, go to the abs pump, then back to the front caliper. Just that can be 7-8 feet worth of line.

Same story out back.

You better get anew seat cover. You'll crap your pants when you install that new master cylinder. The first time you hit the lever brings about a "So thats what its supposed to be like..feeling."

You'll have improved the feel. If outright power is not there, try some Vesrah pads. If you can do both, by all means do it.
Thx for the explanation. :)

·
Registered
63 Posts

Same story out back.

You better get anew seat cover. You'll crap your pants when you install that new master cylinder. The first time you hit the lever brings about a "So that's what its supposed to be like..feeling."

I fitted brembo callipers, brembo master cylinder and hel lines to my gsxr 1000 and the difference was awesome on track its worth seconds a lap as you can lean on the brakes more over the chocolate stock brakes
it shocked me just how good they are so just take it steady when you first go out after doing it because they can catch you out
I did plan on doing the lines but nothing available yet and once I saw the pipework I changed my mind looks tricky with all that pipework so I have stopped looking with different pads I am sure improvements can be had

1 - 20 of 24 Posts