GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a real aversion to cutting anything on a bike's wiring harness and like to use connectors where possible. Here is a cable for breaking out the rear lighting on the GSX-S1000 that I used for installing a brake light modulator and getting a signal from the tail light circuit to turn on a power relay in the Denali distribution box.

Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page in the link and it's the DL1000A Brake/Tail Adapter. Version 1 would be used for ADDING a brake light; Version 2 breaks the brake wire circuit for inserting a modulator. I've purchased from Eastern Beaver for several years and it is quality stuff, and pretty quick shipping from Japan.

IMPORTANT NOTE: the wiring code is slightly different for the GSX-S. The Black and Blue wires are reversed from what is listed for the V-strom - Black is tail light and Blue is the ground, brake is the same. Why Suzuki would use different wiring conventions for the same connector on the same application on same year bikes is a mystery.

LINK:
VStrom

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Thanks G-Dub, you made me spend more money on the wire harness AND a BackOff XP. :(

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks G-Dub, you made me spend more money on the wire harness AND a BackOff XP. :(
If you didn't spend it on the bike, you probably would have just wasted it on food or clothes.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I have a real aversion to cutting anything on a bike's wiring harness and like to use connectors where possible. Here is a cable for breaking out the rear lighting on the GSX-S1000 that I used for installing a brake light modulator and getting a signal from the tail light circuit to turn on a power relay in the Denali distribution box.

Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page in the link and it's the DL1000A Brake/Tail Adapter. Version 1 would be used for ADDING a brake light; Version 2 breaks the brake wire circuit for inserting a modulator. I've purchased from Eastern Beaver for several years and it is quality stuff, and pretty quick shipping from Japan.

IMPORTANT NOTE: the wiring code is slightly different for the GSX-S. The Black and Blue wires are reversed from what is listed for the V-strom - Black is tail light and Blue is the ground, brake is the same. Why Suzuki would use different wiring conventions for the same connector on the same application on same year bikes is a mystery.

LINK:
VStrom
Hey G-Dub, where do I find the connector that the Eastern Beaver adapter plugs into, and what do I have to remove?

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey G-Dub, where do I find the connector that the Eastern Beaver adapter plugs into, and what do I have to remove?
Just remove the rear seat and it's the connector that plugs directly into the tail light assembly.

Reactions: mike d

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Okay, the connector on the Eastern Beaver adapter looks nothing like the one at the tail light plug. Here's pics of what they sent me for "Version 2 VStrom Brake/Tail/Signal Adaptor #V2VSBTSA ".

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, no...that's for the 650. You didn't scroll far enough... you have to scroll all the way to the bottom for the DL1000a, it's the one with the black connectors. I couldn't make a link to that specific one because he doesn't have them on separate pages. So sorry.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
No problem G-Dub, It's my own fault for not checking. I'll order the right one. Thanks! ;)

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I hope I got the right one this time...
Is this it?
That's the one...I should have posted a pic to begin with.

Be sure to note the wiring color difference in my first post - Black is tail (switched +) and Blue is ground (-). Unless connecting to a solid state device, I don't think hooking it up wrong would hurt anything, it just wouldn't work.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I just installed the BackOff XP. This harness made it nice because it gave me the extra length to tuck the BackOff XP module up by the battery and run the harness to the side and still reach the brake / tail light connector.

Stock Connector
The wiring on our bike at the stock tail light connector is as follows (from the left side of the bike to the right - or right to left as viewed when looking towards the rear of the bike):
Brown - Running Light - Not Used
White w/Black Stripe - Brake Light
Black w/White Stripe - GND

Adapter Cable to BackOff XP
Once the adapter harness is in place you only have to use three wires to hook up the BackOff XP:
Harness ---> BackOff XP
Purple ---> Solid Red **Brake light power.
Red ---> White w/Red Stripe (Mode 1) or Red w/White Stripe (Mode 2) **Brake light output
Black ---> Black **GND

Mode 1 - 4 short flashes one long flash repeating while brake is applied
Mode 2 - 5 short flashes then steady on until brake is reapplied.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Seems like Mode 1 would be a bit much - attention getting, but annoying if you are in traffic and on the brake for a while. Certainly better than nothing, though. I installed the Gearbrake flasher because I liked the flash rate, a bit faster than the BackOff and similar to mode 2.

The Admore mini light bar I installed on the Strom is a nice unit that also includes sequential turn signals. It doesn't flash if you've recently used the brake, I think within 12 seconds. A nice feature to reduce seizures in those following you. I considered that for the Gixxus, but it's a bit pricey and mounting and running the wires can be a little challenging.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Seems like Mode 1 would be a bit much - attention getting, but annoying if you are in traffic and on the brake for a while. Certainly better than nothing, though. I installed the Gearbrake flasher because I liked the flash rate, a bit faster than the BackOff and similar to mode 2.

The Admore mini light bar I installed on the Strom is a nice unit that also includes sequential turn signals. It doesn't flash if you've recently used the brake, I think within 12 seconds. A nice feature to reduce seizures in those following you. I considered that for the Gixxus, but it's a bit pricey and mounting and running the wires can be a little challenging.
I agree about Mode 1 and hooked mine up for Mode 2. I've had Hyperlights (another fine product) hooked up on a few of my bikes and they can be wired constant blink or blink then stop. I preferred blink and stop, so I went with Mode 1. I like it. Gets attention when brakes are applied, and if you want more attention, you can always release and reapply the brake.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I went with Vizi-Tec which is very flexible in terms of dialing in the desired amount of blinking. It is more expensive than BackOff, but it comes with the bike-specific adapter cable, so the total cost is similar. Works really well out of the box. I eventually set the modulation level to Aggressive A (one up from the default) and left all the other settings as is.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wish I had seen the Vizi-Tec before. I like all the customization that is available, AND comes with the proper connectors. Maybe for the next bike...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts