GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up brand new 1000f and after 5 miles it stalled and would not turn over. All lights on dash normal, press starter and just a slight click sound. Dealer came with a battery booster and it fired right up. Shut it off after about a minute and it started perfectly. Rode the rest of the way home (4miles) and shut it off and restarted fine. Checked all battery cables and hooked it up to the battery tender and within a 1/2 hour the tender went into full charge mode. This morning I went to start it and same issue, just a click sound. Any ideas? No word from dealership yet. Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No brand new. no modifications. I also thought bad battery but tender went in to storage mode within a 1/2 hour of hooking it up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've had that before with duff batterys, charger thinks it's fully charged but when you put a high load on it the battery just gives up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
duff battery

Hiya, my trickle charger somehow stopped working on my gsx-s1000 thru some weeks. I found it and put it right. My charger also says battery is good . leave the bike a day without charge and its dead again. I think the batteries are cheap crap and will not recover from going flat. My 1996 Blade went flat countless times and was on the bike many years and never let me down. Just in process now of buying a new battery. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
In had same thing duff battery got new one on and sorted , gutted thow battery was not covered on warranty ,cash me 30quid at 200 miles from new

·
Registered
336 Posts
So is that covered under warranty? Shouldn't the dealer be replacing the battery?

Edit: Just saw the above post. I just noticed my battery is leaking a little. WTF? I might have to replace it now.

·
Registered
204 Posts
in europe use the term "fit for use" legally it is reasonable to a expect Motorcycle battery to last a few years. If anyone sells goods within EU and possible other places (not sure on this) this law should apply. I had same issue with mine after two weeks. Local dealer tried to say not covered But soon caved when i stated this law clearly to them and offered to start negotiations / a decision on if this law applies to them on their comments section on their main web page and possibly in the press and other public forums. Ten mins later i rode out the shop with new battery and an apology from the dealer.

·
Registered
126 Posts
in europe use the term "fit for use" legally it is reasonable to a expect Motorcycle battery to last a few years. If anyone sells goods within EU and possible other places (not sure on this) this law should apply. I had same issue with mine after two weeks. Local dealer tried to say not covered But soon caved when i stated this law clearly to them and offered to start negotiations / a decision on if this law applies to them on their comments section on their main web page and possibly in the press and other public forums. Ten mins later i rode out the shop with new battery and an apology from the dealer.
Exactly. 2 weeks is completely unacceptable and should be replaced with no arguments. Stand up and don't take any sheeiite....

·
Registered
299 Posts
Sounds to me like there's a short somewhere that's draining the battery.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
My Old Honda SP was notorious for that happening.
It would be fine one minute and the next time "Click" and nothing would happen.
Turned out it was quite a common problem and all it needed was the battery terminal tightening up fully.
Maybe yours is the same

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I took brand new battery out and had it load tested it failed . Dealer was great, pulled a new battery off a bike in the show room and I installed. Bike starts and runs flawlessly. Dealer had never had a new battery fail in first 15 minutes of riding. Thanks for all your help . The first replier on my post properly diagnosed the problem! Thanks again. Mike

·
Registered
336 Posts
I was going to ride 35 miles to the dealer and see what they had to say but....I just removed my leaking battery and ordered a new lithium Shorai. Old battery = 8lbs, New battery 1.27lbs. So I'm cool with that.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I was going to ride 35 miles to the dealer and see what they had to say but....I just removed my leaking battery and ordered a new lithium Shorai. Old battery = 8lbs, New battery 1.27lbs. So I'm cool with that.
I wish the lithiums weren't so **** expensive! 6.7 lbs is a lot!

·
Registered
336 Posts
I wish the lithiums weren't so **** expensive! 6.7 lbs is a lot!
Hey...you gotta spend it like you got it, right? So now, if Akra ever comes out with a full exhaust (not crazy about the M4) and that loses 12 lbs...I'll be at around 18lbs gone!

Just bit the bullet and went down to Cycle Gear and bought the battery. I need to ride this weekend!

·
Registered
51 Posts
hiya all, as my battery is goosed i am looking at putting on a lithium battery the only 2 brands i can find on ebay are JMT and POWER ENDUROLINE any comments on brands or go standard or lithium ? regards gary

·
Registered
336 Posts
Found more brands , but non specifically for the GSX-S1000 .

:(
I went with the Shorai LFX18A1-BS12. If you go to their website, you input what MC you have. They don't list the GSX-S1000 but the 750 and the Gixxer 1000 call for this battery, so I figured it would be fine. Plus, it comes with a ****load of foam pads to shim it up to fit fine. I just used one on the bottom so the strap could hold it in...seems to work fine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts