GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the bike is brand new should I have to ride it slow and easy for the first 600 miles, perhaps riding in the streets and not the fwy yet?

·
Registered
309 Posts
After the first 50 miles IMO you should ride it exactly like you're going to ride it during its service life. Just watch the engine temperature for the first 2,000 miles...don't let the motor overheat. If you run it hard, only do so for a few seconds at a time, and then ride it easy for a minute so the engine has a chance to get rid of the extra heat you just generated. Excessive heat is the Number One killer of a fresh motor. It's perfectly okay to run the rpm up to whatever floats your boat, don't worry about rpm. Just don't let the engine overheat while it's breaking in.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Instructions (suggestions) are in the manual. Great place to start.
Thanks for your suggestion.

Owner's Manual 2015
Pages 62, 63, 3

Maximum Engine Speed Recommendation:

Initial 800 km (500 miles) Below 5700 rpm
Up to 1600 km (1000 miles) Below 8600 rpm
Over 1600 km (1000 miles) Below 11500 rpm

Breaking in the new tires:

Avoid hard cornering, hard acceleration, hard braking for the first 160 km (100 miles)
Avoid constant low speed, do not use full throttle for the first 1600 km (1000 miles)

The first 1600 km (1000 miles) are the most important in the life of your motorcycle.
Proper break-in operation during this time will help ensure maximum life and performance from your new motorcycle.

The initial service (1000 km/600 miles maintenance) is the most important service your motorcycle will receive.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After the first 50 miles IMO you should ride it exactly like you're going to ride it during its service life. Just watch the engine temperature for the first 2,000 miles...don't let the motor overheat. If you run it hard, only do so for a few seconds at a time, and then ride it easy for a minute so the engine has a chance to get rid of the extra heat you just generated. Excessive heat is the Number One killer of a fresh motor. It's perfectly okay to run the rpm up to whatever floats your boat, don't worry about rpm. Just don't let the engine overheat while it's breaking in.
Thanks for your suggestion. I'll be very careful, I'm thinking I'll get it very soon.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
The thing about this bike is, you can break most countries maximum speed limits in first gear. Enjoy.;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The thing about this bike is, you can break most countries maximum speed limits in first gear. Enjoy.;)
Well, that's the beauty about having a fast bike, you don't have to obey every single traffic rule. After ridding a bike I don't want to drive a car anymore. Even police know that motorcycles always are going faster than cars and police don't even bother to give them a ticket even if motorcycles make a traffic violation.

I have ridden on pair with motorcycle police going in between the cars and we pull to the red light and we take off so fast perhaps at 70 mph in a 35 mph zone and no problem. We even have a small chat while the light is in red. It's great fun.

Also, the other day I saw in the news police was chasing a guy ridding a fast motorcycle and even with helicopter help they lost him. Police had to stop the chase since they knew there was no point on spending so many resources just to give a speeding ticket.:D
Motorcycles are in a different world than cars. Avoid risks at all costs.
Be a pro, ride very assertive and defensive, if there are no cars, pedestrians, animals or police, look twice or triple and go.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Once you fail to yield to the police it's definitely not just a speeding ticket. They call off chases because even a 400lb bike broad siding a car at high speed equals at least one fatality, not to mention the probability of a pursuing vehicle ending up in a collision.
You certainly have more leeway on a motorcycle, you're not above the law.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Once you fail to yield to the police it's definitely not just a speeding ticket. They call off chases because even a 400lb bike broad siding a car at high speed equals at least one fatality, not to mention the probability of a pursuing vehicle ending up in a collision.
Exactly. You can even give the finger to the police, not a problem. The USA constitution gives me this right.

You certainly have more leeway on a motorcycle,
Definitely and in some states you as a motorcycle rider have the same right to be in between lanes as a car has a right to be in its own lane.

you're not above the law.
Exactly, no one is above the law but the law can be circumvented. It happens all the time by judges, lawyers, politicians, police, rich people why not me?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Exactly. You can even give the finger to the police, not a problem. The USA constitution gives me this right.
Don't know what this has to do with anything.

Definitely and in some states you as a motorcycle rider have the same right to be in between lanes as a car has a right to be in its own lane.
I live and ride in California.

Exactly, no one is above the law but the law can be circumvented. It happens all the time by judges, lawyers, politicians, police, rich people why not me?
You're poor and a nobody.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I broke a few bikes in and in my mind the first 500 miles is when you have to be careful. The motor and trans are honing and cutting in,changing the oil in the first 500 to 600 is must. I didn't redline or keep a constant RPM and I kept a eye on the temp gauge. I tried to do most of the first 500 in the backroads.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Hi John,
You'll find that 5700 RPM limitation for the first 600 miles will be MORE than you will need.
The GSXS1K is so torquey, that you'll not be disappointed in the acceleration from standstill or in gears.
The revs above this is for getting HP, which is needed to overcome the wind for higher speed use.
I ride between 2000 and 4000 almost all of the time.

Rob.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am in Japan and bought my bike new. The dealer told me this...

First 500km keep it under 5,000rpm
Next 500km keep it under 7,000rpm.

Do the first service at 1,000km.

Then... ride like you stole it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts