GSXS 1000 Forum banner

Brembo Issues Global Recall For Certain Brake Pads.

2K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  oldjackbob 
#1 · (Edited)
Brembo Issues Global Recall For Certain Brake Pads.
The recall relates to the BRM10B compound.
Does this affect the GSX-S1000's??

#6 ·
No one is addressing the OP's original post? I found this write up with more details:
Excerpt:
The recall relates to the BRM10B compound and the amount of nickel used in the brake pad’s construction.

The presence of the Nickel in the pads can lead to the compound becoming porous, allowing moisture and humidity to affect the performance of the pads. The build-up of moisture can cause corrosion which in some places can cause the friction material to detach from the mounting plate of the brake pad, in turn causing catastrophic brake failure.

The manufacturers that fit the pads as OEM to their vehicles are notifying affected customers of the issue and any affected bikes will need to be taken to the dealership for pad replacement.

Triumph America has been just one brand to issue a recall for the problem for some models built between 2018-2020 back. According to the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration), the friction material of the front brake pads can come loose from the rear plate. If the problem occurs, the function of the brakes is of course no longer fully guaranteed and the braking distance is extended.

------------------------------
I tried searching BREMBO's website, and that's useless. Not user friendly at all. And apparently they've removed any reference to the BRM10B pads so you can't even look to see if that was the 'original fitment' for your bike. The recall seems to be coming from each motorcycle manufacturer at their own pace. So far we know that the brake pads were made in late 2017 for 2018 models. The first recalls were issued on May 2020. Not all manufacturers have recalled at the same time, but we know (at this point) these motorcycles are affected and recalled:
  • Ducati 1299 Superleggera
  • 2018-2020 Triumph Speed Triple S
  • 2018-2020 Triumph Street Triple RS
  • 2020-2020 Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
  • 2020-2020 Triumph Tiger 1200 Desert Edition
  • 2018-2020 Triumph Tiger 1200 XCA
  • 2018-2020 Triumph Tiger 1200 XCx
  • 2018-2019 Triumph Tiger 1200 XR
  • 2018-2019 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRT
  • 2018-2019 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRx
  • 2018-2019 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRx LRH
Thankfully, I don't see any SUZUKI's listed, but they may just be slow to put out the recall. We'll have to wait and see. Perhaps someone else has more insight?

#19 ·
Vibration has always been really bad at 6400 rpm (+/-200 rpm) on my bike, to the point of actually being painful in my hands. The first thing I did was install the heavy bar end weights. That was good for about a 70% reduction in vibration. A few months later I filled the bars with BBs. It was really easy, I did it while the bike was leaned over on the sidestand with the bars turned fully to the left, I just removed the right-side bar end weight and poured in the BBs, occasionally rattling the bars against the steering lock to settle the BBs then continuing to fill. That mod cut the remaining vibration by about 70% again. Then close to a year later I decided to add the foam grip covers. Those were pretty tough to get pulled over the grips until I wetted the inside of them down with alcohol and that helped a lot with the install effort, acting as a lubricant (when the alcohol evaporated the foam didn't slip any more). The foam grips reduced what little vibration was left to the point that I haven't even thought about vibration ever since.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.