GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FADE IN to the workshop of the 'GONZO GARAGE'....Well folks, as :D suspected the Buell front footpegs (#N0521.1AD) RH and (#NO520.1AD) LH!!!!!!will work on the GSX S1000... I knew they worked on my 'Busa'. Soooooooo being over 6 foot and having old knees (toooo much knee paddling on my ol' Phil Edwards longboard when I was younger) I needed something that allowed me to stretch my legs a bit. I did a weeee bit (not much) of grinding on the pegs to make them fit. The holes on the Buell are a weeeee bit larger so rolled up a small piece of some thin aluminum flashing for a bushing (heavy aluminum foil used in a Safeway pie tin I think would also work) and it worked perfectly. I think the MC-MOTOPARTS product would've worked too but I canceled the order as the Buell footpegs look great and stretch the old legs...PEACE RIDE :) SAFE

·
Registered
48 Posts
FADE IN to the workshop of the 'GONZO GARAGE'....Well folks, as :D suspected the Buell front footpegs (#N0521.1AD) RH and (#NO520.1AD) LH!!!!!!will work on the GSX S1000... I knew they worked on my 'Busa'. Soooooooo being over 6 foot and having old knees (toooo much knee paddling on my ol' Phil Edwards longboard when I was younger) I needed something that allowed me to stretch my legs a bit. I did a weeee bit (not much) of grinding on the pegs to make them fit. The holes on the Buell are a weeeee bit larger so rolled up a small piece of some thin aluminum flashing for a bushing (heavy aluminum foil used in a Safeway pie tin I think would also work) and it worked perfectly. I think the MC-MOTOPARTS product would've worked too but I canceled the order as the Buell footpegs look great and stretch the old legs...PEACE RIDE :) SAFE
I just switched my Buell pegs over from the Busa to the GSXS while I wait for a second set of Buell pegs to arrive. My original set came modified from Joe over on the Busa board. Direct fit as they come from him.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Until I see a picture of the pegs, I'm pretending you guys have hello kitty stickers on the tank..

I dont recall ever noticing a buells pegs. What makes them different, or an upgrade?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Buell pegs are significantly lower than the stock pegs giving you substantially more knee/leg room but unfortunately less lean angle. Good for some and not so good for others. Depends what your after.....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Until I see a picture of the pegs, I'm pretending you guys have hello kitty stickers on the tank..

I dont recall ever noticing a buells pegs. What makes them different, or an upgrade?
They are significantly lower. Being tall and having a bad knee, they help quite a bit.
Up close pic to hide the Hello Kitty stickers :D

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Buell pegs are significantly lower than the stock pegs giving you substantially more knee/leg room but unfortunately less lean angle. Good for some and not so good for others. Depends what your after.....
I went puttin' around the backroads this Saturday and took a few, not as many as I used to, tight corners (enough to have virtually no "chicken strips"). I found no problem in getting enough of a lean angle. Although I'm the first to admit I'm not as an aggressive rider as some of you folks might be; my knees said, "thank you...thankyouverymuch.." in their best Elvis voice at the end of the day. PEACE RIDE SAFE

·
Registered
448 Posts
Even if they do touch...I think we have similar knees. If so...

They for sure dont touch when the bike is parked in the garage because my knees are too sore to ride. I know my bike, with low pegs, might not be moto gp worthy, but i can ride it!

I ordered two sets. One for each bike, and thank you for finding this.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I ordered two sets. One for each bike, and thank you for finding this.
Could I ask where you ordered them from please? If I order them in NZ, they are likely to take several times as long as if I order them directly from the US :(

I take it that there is sufficient thread on the brake and gear shift to set up identical angles to the OEM setup?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Could I ask where you ordered them from please? If I order them in NZ, they are likely to take several times as long as if I order them directly from the US :(

I take it that there is sufficient thread on the brake and gear shift to set up identical angles to the OEM setup?
In California BOTH Livermore Harley-Davidson can get the pegs (ask for the part # numbers I gave at the beginning of this thread) as well as Salinas Harley-Davidson...

·
Registered
48 Posts

I had to cut off about 1/8" of thread on the brake master cylinder to allow the pedal to adjust low enough for me. Gear shift rod was no problem.

·
Registered
448 Posts

I used ebay, and found used.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I used ebay, and found used.
My granddaughter found mine on Ebay also...They were still in the boxes from Buell/H-D so I was able to give you folks the part #'s...Sooooooooo just to add a bit of drama to this thread, I've heard, some 'tall' Honda VFR 1200 riders have ALSO used Buell footpegs to get a weeee bit more stretchhhhhhh. Who would've thought riders of 'other' manufacture/models of bikes would be picking through the bones of Buell for parts????:eek: PEACE RIDE SAFE

·
Registered
355 Posts
Honda Blackbird owners were modifying Buell pegs in the early-mid 2000's but I fitted a small link which was CNC machined by a 'bird owner that enabled the existing pegs to be used, but 25 mm lower. It made a massive difference to comfort.

I emailed Joe Satterwhite in the US yesterday after reading great feedback about his kit on the Hayabusa forum and he replied within a couple of hours - fantastic service! Money paid via Paypal and looking forward to them winging their way to NZ shortly.

Thanks to all the posters on this thread for getting me off my butt and doing something about it! :D

·
Registered
152 Posts
I tried some adjustable foot pegs last week, and they were just too wide and made reaching the shifter and rear brake very difficult to use. I sent those back, ordered some Buell pegs which I installed yesterday....problem solved. I did remove the feelers from the Buell pegs to make up for the slight loss in cornering clearance, but I think my track days are over (for now anyway), so I doubt it will make a big difference. Great comfort upgrade for the money!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I tried some adjustable foot pegs last week, and they were just too wide and made reaching the shifter and rear brake very difficult to use. I sent those back, ordered some Buell pegs which I installed yesterday....problem solved. I did remove the feelers from the Buell pegs to make up for the slight loss in cornering clearance, but I think my track days are over (for now anyway), so I doubt it will make a big difference. Great comfort upgrade for the money!
Where did you order the Buell pegs from?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Where did you order the Buell pegs from?
My granddaughter found a pair on EBay for me...However in California BOTH Livermore H-D and Salinas H-D would've been able to order them...... (Be sure to refer to the PART # s at the beginning of this thread) PEACE RIDE SAFE...P.S. You may want to find a H-D dealer in your area that still services Buells or was/is a dealership for Buells

1 - 20 of 38 Posts