GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short test rides (as in a few minutes) are all you can get if you're lucky and I'm sure I'll like the bike but it's pretty much impossible to get a feel for the bike unless I just take the plunge.

I'm in a real rut with my bikes, I've had 25 now and the past several haven't even last a year, some only a month or two. ZX14R was too much bike, couldn't count on my KTM SMT, VFR12000 was just lame so I sold everything and now looking to buy two bikes that compliment each other. One of them is going to be an FJR.

I'm looking for a really fun easy to ride bike that will make me want to get out and ride, take to the track once in a while and not need a lot of mods to make it work well. I'm 160lbs suspension-wise and not terribly picky about the fueling but could see myself sending it to Woolich if the re-call doesn't fix it.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
86 Posts
I sold my last bike (modded zx10r) to fund buying my GSXS1000 without ever riding it. Save for the shock, I love it. Not that the shock is bad, but I had an Ohlins TTX on my 10r so this 30 Dollar shock has me wanting more. Anyway the S stops, turns, brakes and has plenty of power. Cant beat it for the money.

·
Registered
336 Posts
At 160lb, I think you'll find the suspension just fine. I was going to test mine but it was raining the day I bought it and the dealership didn't feel comfortable allowing test rides in the rain. So I said "screw it" and bought it anyway. One quick ride around the block and I knew I made the right decision.

·
Registered
285 Posts
have no fear buy it , ride it like you stole , try not to grin too much , and when you put in the garage make sure you put a cover over it . Other wise you will be down there all the time just looking at how beautiful it is , that is if it's the red/black S . The F is butt ugly.

·
Registered
41 Posts
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Everyone knows the F is the one to go for and if you have the S you'll just be yearning for the F
Get an F to start with and be totally satisfied;)
Agreed, get the F.

The naked one looks like they didn't finish it properly and had to sell it off cheap! :eek:

·
Registered
974 Posts
The F models have more HP also as they believed the naked models could not handle it :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Short test rides (as in a few minutes) are all you can get if you're lucky and I'm sure I'll like the bike but it's pretty much impossible to get a feel for the bike unless I just take the plunge.

I'm in a real rut with my bikes, I've had 25 now and the past several haven't even last a year, some only a month or two. ZX14R was too much bike, couldn't count on my KTM SMT, VFR12000 was just lame so I sold everything and now looking to buy two bikes that compliment each other. One of them is going to be an FJR.

I'm looking for a really fun easy to ride bike that will make me want to get out and ride, take to the track once in a while and not need a lot of mods to make it work well. I'm 160lbs suspension-wise and not terribly picky about the fueling but could see myself sending it to Woolich if the re-call doesn't fix it.

Thanks in advance
Not sure where you live but someone here in California is unloading an "F" model with 1000 miles for $8700 (no tax)

·
Registered
285 Posts
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Everyone knows the F is the one to go for and if you have the S you'll just be yearning for the F
Get an F to start with and be totally satisfied;)
Ah the look of love , you own it you love it and i sort of understand the faired thing , hey, some guys marry blondes >:D

·
Registered
96 Posts

Thanks in advance
No test ride for me, I have been wanting to get a 1K was gonna buy a GSXR-1k and modify with LSL handlebar when suzuki came out with this GSX-S, I just read a lot about it. I have been waiting for suzuki to come out with a 1k. Thankfully i held up to purchasing the Kawi 1k. Traded my Gen II Hayabusa cashed out the difference, after my aftermarket add-ons to make it prettier. I'm very satisfied its a great bike and fits me perfect. Just finished putting another 200 miles today.:)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yes I did. But only because she was easy;)

Thirty years later. I'd still do it again :D
ah that explains it, men that marry brunettes cos they are difficult buy the naked and vicea versa:laugh:you F model chaps like the easy option and marry blondes. Viva la differance

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Still trying to ride one, gave up for about a year but always kept a look out. Here was today's lovely experience after finally, finally, finally finding a used one at a car dealer.

https://cosprings.craigslist.org/mcd/d/2016-suzuki-gsx-s1000/6691770128.html

Me: Hi, do you still have that blue Suzuki motorcycle for sale?

Salesman: We sure do would you like to come see it?

Me: Yes, I'm in Denver though so it would be about a 2.5 hour drive, is the title clean and no major damage to the bike?

Salesman: Clean title and no damage, it's in real good shape.

Me: Ok, I know you're a car dealer but do you allow test rides?

Saleman: I don't do test rides.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I bought mine sight unseen (new '18 S1000F, had to be shipped to the dealer, no white ones available locally), with no test ride, and without having ridden a motorcycle for 30 years (my last bike was a '75 Norton 850 Commando). My decision was based wholly on the online reviews and videos...nearly all the reviews and YouTube videos comment on how comfortable, agile and confidence inspiring the S1000 is.

I'll just say that I wasn't disappointed in the bike when I tool possession of it, nor have I had any regrets since. Very happy with my S1KF!

Here are my only gripes:

1) The gears are closer together than ideal, IMO. First gear is tall, and 6th gear could (should) be taller than it is (I'd like to see a bit lower rpm on the highway, but that's probably just me).

2) The throttle is (was) much more sensitive than I remember on the Norton, but a Throttle Tamer took care of that. Throttle is near perfect now.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am a little concerned about the tranny too, Suzuki really let us down with this kind or torque spread and all 6 gears laid right on top of each other. If they had kept the K5 tranny I could understand, but it's all new. Maybe there wasn't enough room.

·
Registered
890 Posts
1. Would you let some bozo off the street who shows up test ride your bike? Not me.

2. I read every review, and watched every video I could find. I came to two conclusions. First, it has issues, but they can be fixed. Second, everyone who rode it seemed to come away from the ride on the video with the same word, "Bonkers." They also had a huge grin that couldn't be wiped off their faces.

I said what the heck and bought it. I freaking love it. Issues are fixed and the bike is absolutely bonkers to ride. I grin every time I'm on it.

Quit fretting and buy the bike.

For used bikes, there's usually ways to get a test ride. It usually involves putting the sale price in cash down as a deposit with the understanding that after the ride if you don't want it you get your money back, and if you bin it, then you bought it. Not everyone will abide by this but usually you can work it out.

·
Registered
694 Posts
1. Would you let some bozo off the street who shows up test ride your bike? Not me.

2. I read every review, and watched every video I could find. I came to two conclusions. First, it has issues, but they can be fixed. Second, everyone who rode it seemed to come away from the ride on the video with the same word, "Bonkers." They also had a huge grin that couldn't be wiped off their faces.

I said what the heck and bought it. I freaking love it. Issues are fixed and the bike is absolutely bonkers to ride. I grin every time I'm on it.

Quit fretting and buy the bike.

For used bikes, there's usually ways to get a test ride. It usually involves putting the sale price in cash down as a deposit with the understanding that after the ride if you don't want it you get your money back, and if you bin it, then you bought it. Not everyone will abide by this but usually you can work it out.

Lol dealership tossed me the keys and said grab a helmet off the wall. good ole Kentucky boys. said don't die. I cannot get myself to buy a bike without a test ride.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts