GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After nearly two fun years the GSX S1000 is sold.
It's the right time of the year for killer deals. I found a 2017 GSXR1000 sitting in a showroom with a blowout price. Took it home, $11,200 otd. I had something mind for the bike when i bought it. I added a ABM Superbike bar conversion with the same GSX S1000 fat bar. Seating position is now very close the GSX-S.
The new GSXR has ride by wire throttle and it closes the butterflies about 35% at 10,400 rpm. ( Rumored to help pass noise laws ) Power goes flat at 163RW. Friday ECU was derestricted, Fan cut on lowered and a up/ down quick shifter installed. It jumped to 179RW. It now screams hard all the way to the 14,400 redline. Quickshifter is super smooth.
The third gear 120 mph wheelies are a little unsettling.
I'm sure I'll miss the GSX-S but this sure is a worthy replacement!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
The new GSXR has ride by wire throttle and it closes the butterflies about 35% at 10,400 rpm. ( Rumored to help pass noise laws ) Power goes flat at 163RW. Friday ECU was derestricted, Fan cut on lowered and a up/ down quick shifter installed. It jumped to 179RW. It now screams hard all the way to the 14,400 redline.!
Not all versions are restricted, the European versions have 100% throttle to the redline - Just US and Asian bike are restricted over 10,400

But nice bike anyhow.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I’m curious what year/model/miles GSX did you have, and how much you sold it for.

Also, post some pics of the new bike and the handlebar conversion!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, no secret here about the restriction.
It feels about the same and stronger in spots on the way up, 1st gear is shorter than the gsxs and my K7 1000. It doesn't have the hit around 8000 like the older engines. The variable cam timing flat works. The power is very linear and smooth then it absolutely rips from 10,000 to 14,400.
The GSXS was a '16 non abs. Had full Holeshot mods. full arrow exhaust, fuel tuner etc. 8000 mi. $5700
I'll post some pics later this week.
Nothing but Suzuki for me. I had a S32 150 twin in jr high. A X6 Hustler 250 in Senior high. Raced for 20 years including Two back to back national championships in four years of Pro stock bike. Suzuki engineering has always been great.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Here's a few pics of the 2017 GSXR with the ABM superbike handlebar conversion. In the third pic check the front brake lever. The slot near the end has a story. Suzuki found at high speed the air pressure was slightly applying the front brakes! The slot eliminated that issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Looks great! That end can is enormous!
We played around with the can. It sounds great, It's all titanium, weighs about 4 pounds and as it turned out it's very efficient The discussion was over the endless claims from all the exhaust companies of 4-8 hp gains from the XYZ super duper slip on. Well we pulled the stock can off and it gained ~2hp. So it's doubtful that anything you stick on the back will gain more than nothing at all. So the slip on may be worth 2hp at most while making it painfully loud.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Interesting, I had looked at doing the LSL bar kit for my GSX-R750. Decided to just sell it and buy the GSX-S1000 instead. The LSL would have been cheaper but I'm so happy with this bike. Looks like a good setup for you there.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
We played around with the can. It sounds great, It's all titanium, weighs about 4 pounds and as it turned out it's very efficient The discussion was over the endless claims from all the exhaust companies of 4-8 hp gains from the XYZ super duper slip on. Well we pulled the stock can off and it gained ~2hp. So it's doubtful that anything you stick on the back will gain more than nothing at all. So the slip on may be worth 2hp at most while making it painfully loud.
The bike is beautiful, and I'm sure it's a freakin' blast, but I can see where someone might change the exhaust just for the look. Hey, it's all about making it it your ride. Not many people like the looks of the F but I love mine. ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Dang, I didn't need to see this post, I was not successful in finding a decent k5/k6 to mod for comfort, and had decided to go with a new 2017 with the handle bar mod.
Then I sat on a GSXS and ended up with it instead.
I tend to go with what ever accelerates faster when possible but thought it was time to mature up a little and go for comfort first at age 73.
Now I'm missing that extra little helping of zip you get from a Gixxer 1000.
Guess I'll have to go ride the B-king till the feeling passes. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
What are the ergonomics like on the gsxr with the LSL bar kit? I really like that idea. I’ve wanted a gsxr750 fpr awhile but can’t do clip ons.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts