GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Long time lurker, but first time poster :)

Got my bike at the start of this year and put about 2500 miles on it (I got it on 31K miles, so now approaching 34K). After summer was finished, I started collecting a few performance bits to fit over winter for next season: Power Commander, Decat, Quickshifter, Autotune.

Just before Xmas I fitted the decat, chopped off the end of the exhaust, reinstalled with the new stainless pipe, all went perfectly well. Test ride (15 miles) all went well.

Next time I went out, the FI light came on. Thought I might have not plugged the lambda back in properly or there's now an unexpected value because of the missing mid-box. Unfortunately I didn't have a bit of jumper wire on me, and whenever I killed the ignition the light would go out. I had assumed it was lambda related, so on the next garage session, I fitted the Power commander, o2 sensor remover and quickshifter. This didn't solve the issue and the light came back on. After a few times of riding, I made sure I had my jumper wire and spare key with me to leave the bike running while I did the jumper to read the code.

The code was C17 (AP sensor reading under 0.5V or over 4.85V). I didn't touch anything in/around the airbox on the side that the air pressor sensor is on, and the service manual says it's got to be one of wiring, vaccum pipe or sensor issue.

IMG_1231.jpg

I was wondering if anyone else has had the same issue and resolved it (a google search doesn't seem to show anyone with the GSX-S1000 has had this problem before) and this thread is just as much to record how I solve it as much as it is to ask for anyone's else experience with any similar issues.

Next steps are to get the tank off, check condition of pipe from throttle body to AP sensor and check wiring. If they all check out, will be sourcing a new sensor.

Edit: This should have gone in the troubleshooting forum, I obviously didn't scroll down far enough on the main page!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Got time to take the bike apart today, inspected the air pressure sensor and it looked like it was in good condition, all the wiring running to it didn’t look pinched or damaged. Vacuum lines seemed in good condition and not kinked.

I removed the sensor fully from the bike after struggling to get the part number online and it was 18591-32g00. It looks like this is a £220 part from the dealers, so had a quick look on eBay to find a second hand one and got one for £15 delivered.

When I was on my way home after inspecting the sensor the light came on much more quickly which indicates to me that it’s on its way out! Will update when i have fitted the new sensor. Attached are pictures of the sensor for your enjoyment.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Hi Mike,
Good that you took the time to post, and hopefully solved your own problem.
Just guessing, but with the improved exhaust mod's to remove the restrictive parts, there's more air availability which now can be forced in through the air box, and the sensor internal diaphragm just fell over. Perhaps it's ear's may have popped !

Rob.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Really valuable information Mike, thanks, I have just had black widow exhausts fitted to turn my GSXSF into a 4 into one exhaust with no decat so I've taken a note of this info

Xs

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After replacing the sensor, still had exactly the same problem. Now investigating the vacuum pipe from throttle body 1 and possible electrical issues

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The vacuum pipe was the culprit. The pipes have a thick hard rubber pipe encased in a thin softer rubber pipe. The inner pipe had broken at the bend on throttle body 1 and when it was under vacuum the outer thin pipe was being sucked until it blocked off completely.

Whilst I was under the airbox I capped off the PAIR system and it's much smoother on the over-run!

Hope this helps someone diagnose this issue in the future :)

Next stage is Power Commander Auto Tune, so need to drill and tap my exhaust to accept the M18x1.25 wide band lambda

1 - 6 of 6 Posts