GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have yet to buy the GT ….was planning on tomorrow but what is the talk about talk engine rattle? I really like the bike at first sight but I also don’t want this to be an impluse buy. I still have my 2021 V1K so I am not bike less
Any thought of the noise / concerns or just it just sound like crap??

thank you
Ray

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
So far it is just a start up noise and not all the time hot or cold. No failures reported to date. Even the naked bikes which were released in 2021 with same engine seem to be doing it as well.

·
Registered
2016 f
701 Posts
is it possible when they changed parts, that they needed to change the cam to accommodate?
maybe the cam didnt allow old tensioner to work
The basic engine block hasnt changed, they have changed the camchain guides, that may require an updated tensioner, the camshaft itself wont affect the chain tensioner, well not untill running very high lift/duration cams which require very stiff valve springs, ( usually a manual tensioner is then use) it would be of interest to compare the mting flanges of this new one to the old, then it may be posdible to just revert to the older proven tensioner

·
Registered
2020 Suzuki Katana 1000
60 Posts
As temporarykiwi has noted, the only differences I see between a 2018/2021 GSX-S1000 models are the cam chain guide and tensioner guide
Interestingly, 2020 Katana has the same guides as 2021 GSX-S1000

2021 Gsxs: Suzuki Motorcycle 2021 OEM Parts Diagram for CAM CHAIN | Partzilla.com
2020 katana:Suzuki Motorcycle 2020 OEM Parts Diagram for CAM CHAIN | Partzilla.com
2018 Gsxs: Suzuki Motorcycle 2018 OEM Parts Diagram for CAM CHAIN | Partzilla.com

I don't think the noise is worrisome as historically Suzuki GSXR bikes always had timing chain noises during startup.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Mine suzuki gt 5500 km.started with this noise att 1000km .never sounds Cold. Or if l let it rest four an our it is silent. only att start up hot The noise vill be Therese four 10-15 sekunds
same here. I think I started noticing it around that time. but I dont typically do many hot starts so maybe it did it sooner I just was unaware

at least, if this ever becomes a recall, we will all have it repaired andit seems every bike has been impacted by this sine 2020 katana on.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts