GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
So far it is just a start up noise and not all the time hot or cold. No failures reported to date. Even the naked bikes which were released in 2021 with same engine seem to be doing it as well.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
3300 miles and mine still doing it on hot starts but not every hot start and rarely ever on cold starts. If cold rattle it is a totally different sounding rattle than when hot. Hot is more of a deeper tapping sound for a few seconds. Hard to explain but I do know it is something to do with that cam chain tensioner. I have not checked it into the dealer to even have a look at it. They are real busy this time of year with side by side and wheelers all taking up the place. It would probably just sit in a dirty warehouse for weeks before they'd look at it. I have mentioned it up there to the general manager but they don't care in one ear out the other.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Apparently no reported engine failures to date on it. I can't find anything on it and you know if something is bad bad it'll make it to the internet asap.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
It is not the starter motor. It is a tapping/knocking sound at half speed of crankshaft and on the cam chain tensioner side exactly where the thing is attached to the cyl head. Not really a valve tapping sound but a very similar but not coming from under the valve cover. Goes away with in a few seconds about the same time frame every time it does it. Cold it does not do it but mine has cam chain rattled a time or two on cold starts which goes away almost as quick as it started. I think something is up with the cam chain tensioner unit myself and have not given the time to see if it is oil pressure operated. I know a few years back Suzuki had that design and it was a failure then. Why so pronounced on hot starts and not cold starts I have not idea. I have changed oil in my bike twice so far both times Suzuki RF5000 Ecstar 10w40, made no difference. This noise only appeared after first 500 miles or so on my bike been there ever since.

Looking at the picture FP posted it says gasket change and tensioner change that means it is most likely a totally different design verse the 2016 model I had. Even says so, in the picture. Hopefully no one finds out the hard way when this thing ruins an engine or two before Suzuki steps up and does something about it. As smooth and quiet as the engine is minus this hot start noise hard for me to believe this is normal. Why make one noisy component when the whole rest of engine is so smooth and quiet.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Don’t care about vibes at 5k rpm’s, this a Sportbike engine wth did you think would evolve from this with no internal cog changes? I’m ok with it as is just explain to me the hot start rattle they all seem to have that no tester ever mentioned or even the clueless ones that got a loaner from a dealership and made a YouTube video in length. I can tell you why the idiots making the videos are just that video they are not motorcycle riders they’re dipshits making motorcycle videos. I’ve owned more Suzukis than anyone on this forum and all the YouTuber content BS creators. What I’m hearing ain’t right. I know engines and how they work and I do not need a dealer to check my oil level or oil pressure. This new cam chain tensioner is a dud. Plain and simple. Suzuki has done this stupidity in the past same **** part of the engine. I just want to close my eyes and wake up in the morning with this gone. Not happening!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
It’s still gonna rattle/tap it’s ass off on a hot start trust me. I’m losing faith is Suzuki this is bullshit. My 21 GSXR ain’t this noisy ever and it has what I’d call a nice loud tapping sounding engine with the rattling mechanical VVT it has.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
It’s a GSXR I will let that go since it runs like a nothing on this planet. But the engine sounds like it’s coming apart at hot idle. So maybe the gsx has that built in. That’s a let down cause my 2016 naked albeit wasn’t a quiet engine it didn’t sound like a hammer on start up hot.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I’m still blown away no one noticed this like a year ago when these bikes hit Europe and all the content creators and YouTubers were getting these bike free to go rape at Will. Surely they heard this bs hot start tap/rattle 🤷‍♂️ Maybe not these people are only after subscriptions and likes. 🙈 losers!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
It is not serviceable and it’s not oil pressure operated. It does have an oil jet for lubrication. I looked all this up in my service manual. It only mentions to replace it if it is not extending properly when it’s out of the engine and being reset to be installed back in the bike. It’s sold as a unit and cannot be disassembled. Not sure why or if this is what we are hearing on hot starts. Mine tapped and hammered on every hot start today. Still no where as noisy as a Ktm engine running. Just irritates me that my 2016 gsx and 2006 GSXR with same engine did not make this noise.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Just interested to know, did you stick to the 5,500 rpm limit for the first 500 miles and 7,500 rpm limit until 1000 miles?
No and I never have in the past on any Suzuki. I have taken GSXRs straight from the showroom with 5 miles on them and gridded them up for a race. Never a problem. I was under that rpm lawyer talk recommendation for maybe 300 miles then had a trip which required power to keep from getting killed on it. It had plenty of quality heat cycles prior to that. That is not the reason for this and if it is that is weak build quality because I am not the only one hearing this. And it appears it dates back to the 2020 model Katana's with same engine.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I’ve run the **** out of mine it hasn’t blowed, yet. My dealer doesn’t care. Neither do I. It’s a loud pos cranking hot. I’ve hit the rev limiter several times after a hot start. Ain’t blowed up yet. It’s a Suzuki they just some hold together. Who knows. My GSXR is louder hot or cold. It’s still very new at 2400 miles currently I’m trying to sell it. I want a Harley Road Glide blacked out bagger. Yea I know a Harley, I owe it to my passed father to finally buy a Harley.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts