GSXS 1000 Forum banner
81 - 100 of 109 Posts

· Registered
1,061 Posts
I’ve run the **** out of mine it hasn’t blowed, yet. My dealer doesn’t care. Neither do I. It’s a loud pos cranking hot. I’ve hit the rev limiter several times after a hot start. Ain’t blowed up yet. It’s a Suzuki they just some hold together. Who knows. My GSXR is louder hot or cold. It’s still very new at 2400 miles currently I’m trying to sell it. I want a Harley Road Glide blacked out bagger. Yea I know a Harley, I owe it to my passed father to finally buy a Harley.

· Registered
1,389 Posts
I’ve run the **** out of mine it hasn’t blowed, yet. My dealer doesn’t care. Neither do I. It’s a loud pos cranking hot. I’ve hit the rev limiter several times after a hot start. Ain’t blowed up yet. It’s a Suzuki they just some hold together. Who knows. My GSXR is louder hot or cold. It’s still very new at 2400 miles currently I’m trying to sell it. I want a Harley Road Glide blacked out bagger. Yea I know a Harley, I owe it to my passed father to finally buy a Harley.
Hi Roy,
Go for it Mate.(y)
With your current mileage your in a position to know all about the 2022 GSX-S to base a shift to another bike on. I've traded bikes at the first service a few times.
I flipped a coin yesterday - an new GT Triton Blue in the box that I said was available in another one of the these many many GT threads - or buy something else.

If a Naked GSX-S had come along (only GT's came on the ship) I would have said probably yes, but with this chain tensioner issue the Beta Testers have noted, I opted for 2022 Kawasaki Z900.
The test ride swung me over a Z or Ninja 400, I had considered as a second bike. Like the GSX-S1K, it has performance I will never use or see past half rev range, but it feels so good, so stable.
So different to the Z900RS, boy did Kawasaki nuke it down to a dumb transport mode. I wish they had just left the donor bike alone, like Suzuki did with the Katana.

Rob.

· Registered
5 Posts
Hi Roy,
Go for it Mate.(y)
With your current mileage your in a position to know all about the 2022 GSX-S to base a shift to another bike on. I've traded bikes at the first service a few times.
I flipped a coin yesterday - an new GT Triton Blue in the box that I said was available in another one of the these many many GT threads - or buy something else.

If a Naked GSX-S had come along (only GT's came on the ship) I would have said probably yes, but with this chain tensioner issue the Beta Testers have noted, I opted for 2022 Kawasaki Z900.
The test ride swung me over a Z or Ninja 400, I had considered as a second bike. Like the GSX-S1K, it has performance I will never use or see past half rev range, but it feels so good, so stable.
So different to the Z900RS, boy did Kawasaki nuke it down to a dumb transport mode. I wish they had just left the donor bike alone, like Suzuki did with the Katana.

Rob.
4349 miles -7000km.have mine been driven upp to this date

· Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
I broke 520 miles on the bike yesterday and I will do my first service / oil change before putting her up for the winter. We will see if there is a noise next spring

· Registered
1,061 Posts
I am thinking the summer heat added to the GTs problem on hot start. Once fall arrived and cooler daytime temps and quicker bike engine cool down mine doesn’t rattle/tap as much if at all now. I use the regular Suzuki 10w40 oil and filter per owners manual. I think the tensioner is not as pressurized with thinner oil during the hot months verses the cooler months and the oil viscosity is thicker. Just my opinion…

My GT has 4500 miles on it currently.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

I've been reading these threads on hot-start engine noise with interest as my new GT with 4000 miles on it has that problem. It started around 1000 miles. My dealer in the UK has been brilliant and has tried to get a resolution from Suzuki. To date nothing other than this reply which apparently is direct from the Suzuki factory in Japan:

Message from Suzuki;
The advice from the factory currently is that this is due to the oil draining back from the tensioner. Oil pressure damps the adjuster mechanism so until it returns there will be a noise.

They say it does no damage so the bike can be ridden as normal.
We have told them that customers do not like the noise so investigations continue.

We will let you know if more information is provided.

This may help you with your speculation on what it could be?

· Registered
10 Posts
Don’t care about vibes at 5k rpm’s, this a Sportbike engine wth did you think would evolve from this with no internal cog changes? I’m ok with it as is just explain to me the hot start rattle they all seem to have that no tester ever mentioned or even the clueless ones that got a loaner from a dealership and made a YouTube video in length. I can tell you why the idiots making the videos are just that video they are not motorcycle riders they’re dipshits making motorcycle videos. I’ve owned more Suzukis than anyone on this forum and all the YouTuber content BS creators. What I’m hearing ain’t right. I know engines and how they work and I do not need a dealer to check my oil level or oil pressure. This new cam chain tensioner is a dud. Plain and simple. Suzuki has done this stupidity in the past same **** part of the engine. I just want to close my eyes and wake up in the morning with this gone. Not happening!
Hi ya Trevor hope your well , I value your thoughts on my 2022 suzuki gt which has a knocking noise not rattling or tinkling ?? when its hot and you go for a coffee come back start the bike and raise the revs to 2000 at a standstill this knocking comes on and you can make it go away by raising the revs or lowering it but come back to 2000 revs and it raises its ugly head !! but when riding normally fast or slow there appears to be no knocking ?? my dealer is going to fit a new chain tensioner as Suzuki have not a clue ? we are still awaiting a part ,your thoughts pls rgds paul Wotteva ? .

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi, sharing my story about noisy CCT on my Katana MY 2021:
After the annual service, i got a bad noise on cold start. First i was thinking about vibration with the cooling radiators protection i installed previously.... after 10 min / warm engine no noise anymore...
Two weeks ago, bike on the park place i try to find out the location / cause, for sure in CCT area.
Doing the service only engine oil and oil filter were changed, on the forum i noticed that an another mate got the trouble also after the service!
I started to investigate the specification of the engine oil >> in line with Suzuki recommendation for 10W40.
I compare with OEM engine oil advise and discover some differences especialy concerrning the "kinematic viscosity" @ 40°C.
My Dealer engine oil has 93,8 mm²/sec versus >20.5 mm²/sec for ECSTAR R9000, the melting point confirm also the differences >> -36°C for dealer engine oil versus -45°C for ECSTAR R9000.
I decided to change the oil, draining the tank and oil filter checking if metallic or plastic particles due to the bad noise and potential frictions >> luckely nothing to notice!
I installed a new oil filter and fill with this new engine oil >> immediatly with the first cold start to noise anymore !! i checked the level adding some extra cc. The day after again cold start and no noise !
In the meantime my dealer investigated with Suzuki, no know problems from their side with such engine, they offered me to leave the Katana for a check and when necessary to proceed to component replacement, but no more necessary at this stage.
Conclusion: i think the 10W40 oils are slightly different in specs/viscosities, from now i will continue using the ECSTAR R9000 for the time i am not getting any problem :)
Specs for comparisons available in MSDS / Safety Data Sheets
Regards from France !
Pierre

· Registered
32 Posts
After the annual service, i got a bad noise on cold start. First i was thinking about vibration with the cooling radiators protection i installed previously.... after 10 min / warm engine no noise anymore...
Two weeks ago, bike on the park place i try to find out the location / cause, for sure in CCT area.
Doing the service only engine oil and oil filter were changed, on the forum i noticed that an another mate got the trouble also after the service!
I started to investigate the specification of the engine oil >> in line with Suzuki recommendation for 10W40.
I compare with OEM engine oil advise and discover some differences especialy concerrning the "kinematic viscosity" @ 40°C.
My Dealer engine oil has 93,8 mm²/sec versus >20.5 mm²/sec for ECSTAR R9000, the melting point confirm also the differences >> -36°C for dealer engine oil versus -45°C for ECSTAR R9000.
I decided to change the oil, draining the tank and oil filter checking if metallic or plastic particles due to the bad noise and potential frictions >> luckely nothing to notice!
I installed a new oil filter and fill with this new engine oil >> immediatly with the first cold start to noise anymore !! i checked the level adding some extra cc. The day after again cold start and no noise !
In the meantime my dealer investigated with Suzuki, no know problems from their side with such engine, they offered me to leave the Katana for a check and when necessary to proceed to component replacement, but no more necessary at this stage.
Conclusion: i think the 10W40 oils are slightly different in specs/viscosities, from now i will continue using the ECSTAR R9000 for the time i am not getting any problem :)
Regards from France !
Pierre
Hmmm I'm just wondering now about what sort of oil they put in these things from the factory.

Seems like many of these noise issues appear immediately after the first service / oil change (like it did on mine).

Might just be something like the assembly lube they use - it would be a very sticky oil. As soon as this is flushed out with fresh regular oil on the first service, the tensioner starts to rattle on start up because the viscosity of the oil prevents it from staying in place (in the tensioner) when the engine is hot.

· Registered
32 Posts
I did a lot of research into oils about 15 years ago utilising a lab to test a range of oils I was trying. I was really surprised by the variance in viscosity (Cst) at the reference 40c and 100c temperatures. Something like 90Cst at 40c and 6 to 8 at 100c.

· Registered
2020 Suzuki Katana 1000
87 Posts
Regards from France !
Pierre
I've used the same R9000 for multiple oil changes. Had the cam chain noise during the end of life of the oil in some instances.
Maybe the engine load / weather accelerated the oil thinning. But hey, in that case, it would be a good indicator that an oil change is due soon!

· Registered
10 Posts
Hi ya k2t2 fyi my new 2022 suzuki gt started knocking not tapping at anytime, the knocking would start at 2000 revs while at a standstill , I rode the bike up to 6000 klm to see if it got worse or altered in any way ! no it didnt ?? sent a video with knocking to Suzuki and dealer involved in Wa and after they fitted a new cam tensioner refused to acknowledge the knocking was still there so no warranty was accepted or covered so I was left with a new bike that was knocking badly and couldnt sell it like that so sold it back to dealer for a substantial loss and moved on ! many thanks Suzuki and CO .

81 - 100 of 109 Posts