GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ECU questions
I just picked up a 2018 gsxs1000f (1900 miles on it). I am in Rochester NY and it’s been snowing and I only got a chance to barely put about 50 miles on it (between the salty frozen roads and it’s not going to warm up any time soon....) I know it’s way to early to get a feel for Her. But you know I like to tinker I feel the shnatchy throttle (compared to ALL the bikes I ever owned) I adjusted the throttle and chain (out of speck) slack out. And ordered some cheap nick nacks. My plan is to keep it as quite as possible. Most likely will have it re flashed (for will be taking out the air box baffle or drilling matching holes to the intakes in the baffle, decat, o2, illiminating, exhaust valve, fuel cut off and the usual ECU re flashing.

So the question for this post is will any year ECU plug and play in my bike? Why maybe buy or trade some one else's ECU. Or some one trying to get their fully exhaust modified back to stock quite.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
No, there are different ECU part numbers for different year models and ABS/non ABS. Your ECU has a part number on it.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
ECU questions
I just picked up a 2018 gsxs1000f (1900 miles on it). I am in Rochester NY and it’s been snowing and I only got a chance to barely put about 50 miles on it (between the salty frozen roads and it’s not going to warm up any time soon....) I know it’s way to early to get a feel for Her. But you know I like to tinker I feel the shnatchy throttle (compared to ALL the bikes I ever owned) I adjusted the throttle and chain (out of speck) slack out. And ordered some cheap nick nacks. My plan is to keep it as quite as possible. Most likely will have it re flashed (for will be taking out the air box baffle or drilling matching holes to the intakes in the baffle, decat, o2, illiminating, exhaust valve, fuel cut off and the usual ECU re flashing.

So the question for this post is will any year ECU plug and play in my bike? Why maybe buy or trade some one else's ECU. Or some one trying to get their fully exhaust modified back to stock quite.
The simple answer is no or maybe, but you will be the first to find out.
Others have tried a Caifornia spec E33 ECU in an All States E03 and found the speedo head doesn't work.
I have an idea that the latest ones are slightly smaller than the 2016, but don't actually know that the plug/socket are inter connectable.
When you say you have a 2018 bike, you need to be more specific here as this is an International Forum.
As you are in the USA, your bike was could be or probably is a 2017 production and called by Marketing as 2018. The rest of the World refers to a 2018 bike as actually built in 2018.
If it was built prior to the first few months of 2018, you probably have the 2016 edition ECU. The latest version was released in early 2018, the actual year, not Marketing speak.
See, it's confusing, and the label stuck on the ECU itself is very important with the GSX-S1000 series ECU's.

Rob.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts