GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Just swapped my Ducati Monster 821 for a ‘18 GSX-S1000Z (Phantom) and very pleased with that choice!

I’ve started fitting an evotech tail tidy and it looks as though there’s something missing from my bike...

The gap for the missing part is allowing water in at the toolkit (there’s a small puddle of dirty water) and the toolkit was wet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The standard fender cover the gap but it’s clearly still letting water in. The evotech actually has a hole for an M5 screw so I’m guess is that there should be something there...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So there’s another hole for those wires - the top one. The evotech is cut out to cover the gap but for some reason has an M5 screw.

I have no idea if it’s the Evotech that’s the issue or my bike. The reason Im leaning towards the latter is that rainwater can get in and soak the toolkit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s possible the previous owner removed it when fitting their own tail tidy but I can’t seem to find any evidence of this part in any manuals. I was hoping anyone that has fitted a tail tidy to this model might know.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I see, I'm sure mine has the lower hole but I've never really paid attention when swapping tails. I do know my tools are rusted, I just took it to mean that area isn't very water tight. Especially when you have a tidy and ride in the wet, the back end gets soaked.
It's probably a drain so water can get out, the stock tail likely shields it from getting in

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I noticed the Allen keys were rusty in my kit too... I wouldn’t be too bothered but it means I can’t fit the evotech properly. I’ve messaged evotech to see if they can help, If not, the tail tidy will go back.

I had a Motodynamic tail tidy and integrated tail light on my Ducati Monster so I’ll do the same probably if this doesn’t work out with the evotech.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies everyone. So it might be something wrong with the evotech.... It is designed to cover the gap but had an M5 screw that doesn’t screw in to anything (pic attached). Perhaps it’s just that the hole in the upper plate that they provide (pic attached) hasn’t been tapped. I could fix the problem by tapping it and drilling out the lower hole but it just seems a bit strange to have to do that.

the pic below shows the evotech plate that holds the plate light and the main tail most that sits below it.

hopefully I’ll hear back from evotech tomorrow.

on another note, I fitted their short levers and picked the black adjusters to replace the red adjusters that come as standard and this was easily the most annoying mod I’ve ever done.... replacing the levers took 10 minds but swapping the adjusters took at least 2 hours.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So just to be sure, all GSX-S1000 have this strange gap? Is it just a drain then?

with the standard fender on, water was getting in...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No gap, no holes in my stock bike. Its all Watertight as you would expect from the Factory.

Rob.
Thanks for that and it’s exactly what I’d expect to see. My guess is that the previous owner had a tail tidy and this is the legacy from that... When I bought it, it came with the standard one.

now I need to figure out the part number for whatever goes in that rectangular hole! I’ve got a (crappy) 3D printer So I’ll have a go at making something to fill the gap

1 - 20 of 23 Posts