GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question in the title. Is it possible to just loosen then radiator and push it forward enough to get the headers swapped?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
98 Posts
You can get the original headers off and on with the radiator moved but still plumbed up.
I needed a short hex drive with a spanner on it and various other extensions in 1/8 drive to do so.
But i will always avoid undoing a radiator hose if i can.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
people seem to think its possible but when i replaced my headers i found it easier to remove the radiator as i couldnt torque the bolts up properly without it removed.
I ended up leaving the rad on while installing the arrow headers. It was doable, but definitely a pain. You can't get to the cylinder head bolts straight on anyways with the new headers, have to go from below.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
I'm wondering if I can tighten the header bolts to spec with the radiator unbolted. I really don't want to have to drain it and remove to check those 8 bolts...

Anyone have any tips?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm wondering if I can tighten the header bolts to spec with the radiator unbolted. I really don't want to have to drain it and remove to check those 8 bolts...

Anyone have any tips?
You mean using a torque wrench? If you have a long enough allen bit, sure it can be done with stock headers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Loose the radiator mountings and you can fit a set off arrow headers with ease. I did mine no problems. Hardest thing was removing the rear shock to remove the flapper valve servo.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I removed and reinstalled my headers fairly easy by just removing the radiator bolts and moving it out of the way leaving the hoses connected.
I never used a torque wrench though and just done them up firm, when I removed the bolts originally they were different in their torque settings , guessing they move with the running in of the bike.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I used bunji cord attached to the handle bars to hang the radiator. I also used another cord to pull it as far toward the front of the bike as possible to give me as much space as possible. (More space than if you let it hang straight down). Dont forget to through a towel or something over the radiator.....Those radiator fins are delicate and super easy to bend.....Always be aware of where your headers are relative to the radiator during installation/removal or you will almost certainly bump and bend those things

1 - 15 of 15 Posts