GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2018 blue/Black ( Naked ) bike and am thinking about repainting the blue front tank cover and the headlight surround sparkle gloss black to match the rest of the bike,since I'm a fan of the gloss black and don't like the front tank cover in the first place and feel the blue makes it stand out. I would probably leave the remainder of the blue highlights, it's a nice blue and might look good as described.

So can anybody post a photoshopped pic ?
My skills don't extend that far :)
Thanks!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Dang you look to be in Florida. I'm quite jealous of that black tank, been toying with the idea of finding someone with a similar mint tank like mine but in black that wants to trade. Then I can wrap my blue parts in yellow vinyl.

·
Registered
890 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Vinyl wrap that sucker, if you do a good job will look just dang nice and cheap as heck, and if you want blue again, can yank it off. I just did my forks gloss black myself from gold.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
That looks cool. I have red and black, and the red tank cover looks like from the “bat bike”. Could be cool to go all black.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thats what i hated most about the two tone...the tank looks two different colors and looks like crap...i agree with ya.....

Yep, I bought this bike with the plan to repaint those parts, and now getting ready to do it.

I looked at the matt black Z model but just don't care for matt.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Vinyl wrap that sucker, if you do a good job will look just dang nice and cheap as heck, and if you want blue again, can yank it off. I just did my forks gloss black myself from gold.
Good suggestion, but I want matching sparkle black, might not be available in wrap.
I saw your wrapped forks, look great and I'm planning on doing that as well, plain gloss black would be fine and appropriate.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just went and looked it up, yea, it does look kind of funky with that part in blue. I still wish I had that paint scheme because doing a color change would be easier, especially with the black front fender as well.

Also, I can help you spend your money.

https://www.motocomposites.com/products/tank-cover-in-carbon-with-fiberglass-for-suzuki-gsx-s1000-2015.html

Heheh, I saw the motocomposites stuff, and actually went that route on my 2nd gen Vmax to tone down all the polished aluminum. Looks like they have quit offering a lot of the Vmax stuff I spent a lot of money on.

In the GSXS case, I won't be fully jazzed till I see Sparkle black :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Lost, could you please do the same on a red/black version? I would really appreciate it if not too much hassle.
NP. This one is a bit more sloppy as I'm heading out for the evening. But it should give you a good idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Awesome! Thank you!

I think we're on to something here .... good idea Freedom. It looks way better (imo), not such a Ninja "bat bike". I will seriously consider doing this, however, might leave the part above the black "V" (above headlight where the turn signals attach) original red, for a little red color accent up there. Next project!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
LOST,

I have a huge favor to ask ... could you do one more, only blacking out the red "bat" tank shroud, and not the red part around the headlight? Thank you if possible!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Here you go, Rapido1.

Now that I've been really looking at these, I would do this (just the tank shroud). I'd color match the gloss black on the tank, but wouldn't rule out the matte option.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, to me retaining the headlight color looks pretty good too, but for me I still think I would go with my original idea of painting both the tank cover and the headlight surround. I'd like a higher percentage of good old gloss black on the bike.
Rapido's idea of leaving a little color on the headlight might be a very good option.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Well, I ordered the tank shroud ($70) and headlight cover ($50) in black from the 2018 Z. (plus another few bucks in clips, emblem, foam pads, etc.) Now I will be able to switch back and forth to see which looks best. Personally, I like the matte look, think it will contrast nicely with the gloss black of the tank. I agree FP, I think just doing the tank shroud and leaving color at the headlight looks best, but we shall see once I get the parts. Big thanks LOST for doing the photos for us!

For sale: Tank shroud and headlight cover !

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I ordered the tank shroud ($70) and headlight cover ($50) in black from the 2018 Z. (plus another few bucks in clips, emblem, foam pads, etc.) Now I will be able to switch back and forth to see which looks best. Personally, I like the matte look, think it will contrast nicely with the gloss black of the tank. I agree FP, I think just doing the tank shroud and leaving color at the headlight looks best, but we shall see once I get the parts. Big thanks LOST for doing the photos for us!

For sale: Tank shroud and headlight cover !

I got a salvaged blue tank cover from ebay for $48 bucks last week, so now just need the headlight cover.

Did you notice that the matt Z parts are way cheaper than the gloss painted blue or red parts? I want to order the cheaper Z headlight cover but since I want to repaint, I wonder if it can be repainted sparkle black without a problem. The difference in price makes me wonder if the Z parts are painted at all or just bare matt plastic??

BTW, I'm moleeye, not FP, LOL
:)

·
Registered
694 Posts
I got a salvaged blue tank cover from ebay for $48 bucks last week, so now just need the headlight cover.

Did you notice that the matt Z parts are way cheaper than the gloss painted blue or red parts? I want to order the cheaper Z headlight cover but since I want to repaint, I wonder if it can be repainted sparkle black without a problem. The difference in price makes me wonder if the Z parts are painted at all or just bare matt plastic??

BTW, I'm moleeye, not FP, LOL
:)

Also interested in this response, I might buy a set of plastics in matte black if they can be painted over just fine

1 - 20 of 20 Posts