GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new member here, I live in the US and i recently put a full M4 exhaust on my GSXS 1000 and sent the ecu out to be flashed, i didn't bother putting a fuel stabilizer in over winter cause normally i run around on the bike still but i ran into issues with the parts and it sat without running for over a month. I finally got it all together and put the new ecu in and was out riding and any time I'm going about 35 it starts to bog and sputter hard. The higher the gear I'm in the worse it runs as well. Do you think this is because of the fuel sitting? Or do you think it could be the new ecu? Thanks!

·
Registered
334 Posts
For a bike to run that badly, the fuel map would have to be a long way off. Who flashed the ECU, and what specific map did they use? Who fitted your M4 exhaust, and how did you deal with the exhaust valve? (Did you use the plate provided by M4 and keep the servo motor, or buy an eliminator?) Are there any codes being thrown by your ECU?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For a bike to run that badly, the fuel map would have to be a long way off. Who flashed the ECU, and what specific map did they use? Who fitted your M4 exhaust, and how did you deal with the exhaust valve? (Did you use the plate provided by M4 and keep the servo motor, or buy an eliminator?) Are there any codes being thrown by your ECU?
It was flashed by Superbike Unlimited and they're pretty reputable so that's why i doubt it's the ecu, and yes i used the servo thing m4 shipped but Superbike Unlimited did an 02 delete anyways. I installed the exhaust and i ran it with the stock ecu before winter hit. That's why my only real idea atm is the fuel being bad or the injectors gummed up from sitting, like i said it sat over a month and we had days where it got below 0 degrees Fahrenheit. It seems to idle fine and sounds fine up to 30mph then it's like it hits a wall and i top out around 35-40mph regardless of what gear I'm in.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Hi Anthony,
I can only comment of the fuel sitting for 1 month and by the way was it an ethanol fuel?
My Honda VFR sat unstarted for 7 months due to damage, insurance, parts on order issues and it had no problems with the same fuel in the tank that the Dealer put in for delivery. It was stored outside during the day uncovered in all weathers and had non ethanol fuel and was stock (actually 2 weeks old).

My other feedback, was with a GSXR1000K5 that I had that wouldn't start sitting for a week after me topping the fuel up with 6 month old petrol from the 4 L mower can (so I could buy fresh stuff for it). The Mechanics found the spark plugs were fouled, and a Suzuki design feature is that if one plug is crook, the bike ecu stops the other cylinders from firing at all.
To me they looked fine, but no problem after new iridium's fitted and nothing was seen in the error codes by them or me at home first up.

Rob.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is non ethenol premium. I'm going to try putting some fuel stabilizer in it and see if it can work out any dirty fuel if that's what's causing it, If that won't help I'll go to my local dealer and ask their opinions and maybe have them check it out, if they can't seem to find anything I'll contact the people who did the ECU flash. Maybe they did the mapping for a GSXR?? XD idk, hopefully it's nothing crazy

·
Registered
336 Posts
I might start with dumping the old fuel and putting some fresh fuel in...make sure no vent hoses, etc. are kinked.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Fuel doesn't go off in a month and if it's been that cold it would only make it last longer.
Was the ECU flashed for a Standard set up or the M4 set up?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Bikes sit on a shop floor for months and even years all the time and if it was bad fuel I think you will notice it down low more than in the higher revs
Either they have made a mistake somewhere in the flash as even a bad fuelling map would have to be real bad to make it run this bad or maybe you have not connected something properly when you put the ecu back in the bike, maybe crushed a hose when you lowered the tank or the ecu plugs not clipped in properly.
Even a map for a stock bike with your m4 installed wouldn't make it run that bad I wouldn't have thought

·
Registered
204 Posts
It was flashed by Superbike Unlimited and they're pretty reputable so that's why i doubt it's the ecu, and yes i used the servo thing m4 shipped but Superbike Unlimited did an 02 delete anyways. I installed the exhaust and i ran it with the stock ecu before winter hit. That's why my only real idea atm is the fuel being bad or the injectors gummed up from sitting, like i said it sat over a month and we had days where it got below 0 degrees Fahrenheit. It seems to idle fine and sounds fine up to 30mph then it's like it hits a wall and i top out around 35-40mph regardless of what gear I'm in.
very intresting that the speed tops out independent of the gear. This means its not rev related its speed related. Wonder if the ecu flash acidently enabled some sort of pit lane limiter dormant in our ecu ??? I know suzuki has this in some ECU's. I am sure you have heard gp bikes comming down the pits they sound like a bag of nails and spit and fart all over the place does your bike sound like that ?

just a thought and i by no means am saying there is a pit lane limiter stteting in our ecu i have not got a clue it just seemed strange that the bike maxes out to a speed not a rev limit

·
Registered
216 Posts
Not a fan of the place mentioned, my moneys on the flash being screwed up. Send it back.
Agreed. Before sending it back make sure all connections are good and correct. If everything is good, send the ECU back.

You could borrow my ECU to see if your bike runs correctly, but you would have to be close to my North Texas area.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE: When i purchased my full M4 exhaust it came with the little metal crescent piece that you attach to the servo motor so you don't get a FI light from taking the servo valve out with the stock exhaust. I'm not sure as to the reason but after removing this crescent piece the bike runs flawlessly. Very noticeable gain in power, very smooth throttle, and no lag in torque like there was when stock. Very pleased with the Superbike Unlimited's ECU flash :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
UPDATE: When i purchased my full M4 exhaust it came with the little metal crescent piece that you attach to the servo motor so you don't get a FI light from taking the servo valve out with the stock exhaust. I'm not sure as to the reason but after removing this crescent piece the bike runs flawlessly. Very noticeable gain in power, very smooth throttle, and no lag in torque like there was when stock. Very pleased with the Superbike Unlimited's ECU flash :)
Get yourself an "ESE-S01 Suzuki Exhaust Servo Eliminator" and remove the servo motor altogether.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sounds like the bike was in limp mode to me, had this happen when my speed sensor rotor was damaged, whatever you did brought it out of limp mode

·
Registered
1,231 Posts

Just added a picture of the servo crescent part labelled as number 11.
Rob.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have a full exhaust on my GSX-R 600 racebike and it has the servo half moon thing and it worked fine on the bike before it went to the dyno tuner. All the cables are gone. Pretty sure my dyno tuner disabled the servo motor anyway when he FTCU flashed my ECU for closed course race use only.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts