GSXS 1000 Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'm no safety nazi by any means and I ride just as fast as the next guy, but this sounds like a horrible idea. @Doddy666, I felt exactly like this; when I was 18 and invincible. Also the roads were a lot different 25 years ago when I started out. Now everyone drives insanely fast, at least in my city. I routinely have people try to sideswipe me and pull out in front of me. To the OP; dont be scared, just use common sense and a little practice. What's the harm in that?
I never mentioned speed at all......nor did I say he should act invincible.
So if you mess about in a carpark first you are saying they are not going to sideswipe or pull out on you?? You can't practice that on a carpark. The roads are what they are and having a pillion on my bike doesn't make me ride anymore defensive than I already do, only one difference is I don't accelerate or brake as hard.
If someone doesn't have confidence or lost it for some reason, they shouldn't ride with a pillion and in all honesty should probably consider not riding on the road at all, they should go on some courses, they are awesome and a imo should be mandatory. My motorcycle CBT test had statistics to show lack of confidence to be one of the root causes of accidents involving motorcycles, then showed several clips of why and how this would have been avoided.

If I read all these replays on here I'd have been worried about carrying a pillion, when in reality it's no different. In the last 3 years I ride about 50% with a pillion.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
456 Posts
I don’t ride 2 up...When I get a bike the first thing I do
Is removed the rear foot pegs.
I Just don’t like how some passengers even after telling

them to lean with bike they lean the opposite way.
Also in a emergency stop they end up crashing into your back
Placing more weight on the handle bars restricting your control
Over the bike.
Anyhow in the end I’m only responsible for my own safety not
someone on the back.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I don’t ride 2 up...When I get a bike the first thing I do
Is removed the rear foot pegs.
I Just don’t like how some passengers even after telling

them to lean with bike they lean the opposite way.
Also in a emergency stop they end up crashing into your back
Placing more weight on the handle bars restricting your control
Over the bike.
Anyhow in the end I’m only responsible for my own safety not
someone on the back.
I am exactly the same as you. I am not insured to carry a passenger - earned me a small discount on the premium.
However the guy at the MOT testing center said if I had a passenger seat then It was obligatory to have foot rests. Also I had removed the strap from the seat which was also not strictly legal. I did have a seat cowl on at one time which would have been OK.
Anyway the bike passed the test but he said it could go against me if the Police were minded to get me.
My footrests only go on to serve as bungee points when I want to fix soft bags on.
How are things in Oz - and elsewhere?

Reactions: My Name Is Jeff

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Great points. That's why I posted here because there are things that we don't know until somebody brings them to our attention. Here in the USA even your son or daughter can sue you for back pain or any injuries because he/she fell out of your bike 😢

·
Registered
456 Posts
I am exactly the same as you. I am not insured to carry a passenger - earned me a small discount on the premium.
However the guy at the MOT testing center said if I had a passenger seat then It was obligatory to have foot rests. Also I had removed the strap from the seat which was also not strictly legal. I did have a seat cowl on at one time which would have been OK.
Anyway the bike passed the test but he said it could go against me if the Police were minded to get me.
My footrests only go on to serve as bungee points when I want to fix soft bags on.
How are things in Oz - and elsewhere?
Well the Kung Flu virus is supposedly causing problems in Victoria so they have a lockdown for who knows how long.
The QLD boarder is closing again from tomorrow Saturday so it sucks living in NSW close to the QLD boarder as I do most of my riding in QLD.
How are you guys holding up?

21 - 25 of 25 Posts