GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
mail.com
The headers from the exhaust ports to the muffler connection, including the cat, are in one 8kg piece. So you need to replace that complete section with after market headers, which are not cheap. An alternative would be to remove the OEM item & take it to a fabricator who knows the score & he can set it up, cut out the cat & replace it with a straight through pipe. you would also need to fit an exhaust servo eliminator from Healtech & an O2 eliminator to stop the FI light coming up. The OEM muffler can be reused but if you want to retain the heat shield, you'll need another trip to the fabricator as it originally bolted to the cat. I have redplaced mine with Arrows, & after some very high level negotiations I have swapped the OEM item for a carton of beer with Rebeard, who is going to experiment with some sort of bypass mod. Watch this forum & good luck.

·
Registered
80 Posts
In standard trim I could barely hear the exhaust, maybe it was the ear plugs, but it is much better now, still with the OEM muffler. I haven't tried it at high revs yet, as I need to have the PC mapped on Tuesday, plus I don't want it too loud as that attracts unwanted attention from the blue gang.

·
Registered
305 Posts
In standard trim I could barely hear the exhaust, maybe it was the ear plugs, but it is much better now, still with the OEM muffler. I haven't tried it at high revs yet, as I need to have the PC mapped on Tuesday, plus I don't want it too loud as that attracts unwanted attention from the blue gang.
If you can't hear the exhaust it must either be good quality earplugs or you are almost deaf. >:D

When I was ridin' the ol' B-King (with "open" exhaust) together with my brother ridin' the Gixxus (thru tunnels) I thought some part of the B-King exhaust had fallen of.
But it was only the sound of the *OEM* exhaust on the Gixxus. :D

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you can't hear the exhaust it must either be good quality earplugs or you are almost deaf. >:D

When I was ridin' the ol' B-King (with "open" exhaust) together with my brother ridin' the Gixxus (thru tunnels) I thought some part of the B-King exhaust had fallen of.
But it was only the sound of the *OEM* exhaust on the Gixxus. :D
Good quality ear plugs pushed well in, SR1 helmet, oh & 40 years in heavy industry all helps.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Cat has to go just like mine. Arrow headers fitted with the standard can. Sounds fantastic. The standard can has no baffles in anyway. Sounds like a race bike now.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Tried mine out a bit today after the Dynotime did the custom map for me. Didn't go real hard as it's still double demerits, but it is really smooth & I can hear the exhaust now especially on the over run, really smooth coming off a closed throttle. I'll stay with the OEM muffler as you can see right through it, & it still has all the regs written on the can, so it looks the part. The money saved will go towards some suspension mods I hope, Go well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
would anyone advice against removing the cat ? and why ?
if the can is an open pipe, what gives back pressure to the engine as i wa thinking it was required ?
any videos with sound of someone who has removed the can , showing difference in muffler sound ?
thank you

·
Registered
515 Posts
would anyone advice against removing the cat ? and why ?
if the can is an open pipe, what gives back pressure to the engine as i wa thinking it was required ?
any videos with sound of someone who has removed the can , showing difference in muffler sound ?
thank you
Not the backpressure thing again.......

·
Registered
451 Posts
I agree with Gixxus. Do an internet search and learn about "backpressure" before worrying about that. People love their backpressure, dont they?

I have removed the cats from two of my kawasakis exhausts. I would not bother with it again. The material the cat is made from is super strong and a nightmare to deal with. Neither did much, if anything, and I wish I had the time back. Sound difference was not much, either.

We had one guy do a custom made "Y" eliminator for his z 1000. The before and after dyno chart showed a 1 hp gain..one hp with the cat removed. Big deal.

Modern exhausts are not horrible. Rather than butcher up a stock one, I'd get a decent header.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i am not by far a mechanic , but i ask as i was told , the **** about backpressure and lean engines , if i am wrong i am sorry , i was just thinking that forum are here to discuss :D .
thanks

·
Registered
515 Posts
I agree with Gixxus. Do an internet search and learn about "backpressure" before worrying about that. People love their backpressure, dont they?

I have removed the cats from two of my kawasakis exhausts. I would not bother with it again. The material the cat is made from is super strong and a nightmare to deal with. Neither did much, if anything, and I wish I had the time back. Sound difference was not much, either.

We had one guy do a custom made "Y" eliminator for his z 1000. The before and after dyno chart showed a 1 hp gain..one hp with the cat removed. Big deal.

Modern exhausts are not horrible. Rather than butcher up a stock one, I'd get a decent header.
There is a guy on this board with a full exhaust, PCV, timing alteration, and a dyno tune all for a 7 HP peak and 10 HP midrange increase at full throttle. The PCV alone on a stock bike is worth 4 HP from 6k RPM and up at full throttle and a 2 HP increase at most part throttle settings from 4k RPM and up. That's $300 vs $2000 for a 3 HP difference peak and 6 HP max difference anywhere at 100% throttle. Part throttle might be different. There is no cost effective reason to go full exhaust on this bike for HP. If it's a weight, looks, sound thing I guess but another $1700? Not for me.

·
Registered
433 Posts
…but another $1700? Not for me.
why $1700? Arrow headers are ~$600 so just that with a PCV which is about $300 and the stock can should get you really close.

The timing is an issue only at partial throttle in gears 1-3. Dynos are run in high gears at full throttle so it won’t make a difference.

dyno: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
look at this graph of the difference headers & ecu-map can make. You have to admit that bike is a lot more alive than stock.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I'm guessing that was the price at the time for headers for this bike as you have dug up a post from 2015 just after the bike was released and parts were very limited ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts