GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi fellow owners of the GSXS1000, I want to remove the CAT of my bike, what would be the easiest way to do it? Should I have to buy a complete 4 pipes exhaust or just cut the CAT and install one of this:

Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Easiest or cheapest? It’s pretty easy doing a decat with the pipe, but you still have to cut the pipe and it’s easier to do off the bike.

New header pipe is strictly a swap, so easier but most definitely not cheaper.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Easiest or cheapest? It’s pretty easy doing a decat with the pipe, but you still have to cut the pipe and it’s easier to do off the bike.

New header pipe is strictly a swap, so easier but most definitely not cheaper.
This guy removed the cat, left the stock header pipe, no power commander and sounds great. I want to remove the cat for more noise and much better breathing of the engine.

I guess with a good grinder or a special saw this can be cut like butter without even removing the header pipe.

This bike sounds amazing! I love how he makes the cars move out of his way! Very cool!

·
Registered
423 Posts
People have done it on the bike but it’s so much easier off, I had mine off in approximately 15 minutes. You still have to drill, chisel or beat the catalyst out of the pipe, it will take long vs have unlimited access to it off the bike.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
People have done it on the bike but it’s so much easier off, I had mine off in approximately 15 minutes. You still have to drill, chisel or beat the catalyst out of the pipe, it will take long vs have unlimited access to it off the bike.
I hate to remove the Oxygen Sensor, but I guess if you already did it and it was easier I'll better do that also.

·
Registered
501 Posts
The cat is a b1tch to drill out. Do it off the bike and save all the pain.
If you're installing a decat you can leave the 02 sensor and valve connected.
Be aware it will run rough as guts until you get it tuned for the new exhaust.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Have just done mine with this exact pipe, take off tank side panels, take bolts out of rad mounts and swing rad forward, remove footrests and take off exhaust system, cut with angle grinder and fit new pipe. I left the front half of the cat in mine for mot/emission test along with the valve and o2 sensor. Sounds great, looks stock apart from you don't see the ugly turkey tray silencer.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Have just done mine with this exact pipe, take off tank side panels, take bolts out of rad mounts and swing rad forward, remove footrests and take off exhaust system, cut with angle grinder and fit new pipe. I left the front half of the cat in mine for mot/emission test along with the valve and o2 sensor. Sounds great, looks stock apart from you don't see the ugly turkey tray silencer.

Legend , This is exactly what I'd like to do :D ; eliminate the turkey tray / silencer but keep the cat , where abouts did you cut the pipe , just before the tray or halfway through the cat like the image shows?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow this is great! Please post some pictures to see your job.
I want to do this and then send to Dano's my ECU to get it flashed. :D

·
Registered
173 Posts
Legend , This is exactly what I'd like to do :D ; eliminate the turkey tray / silencer but keep the cat , where abouts did you cut the pipe , just before the tray or halfway through the cat like the image shows?
As the diagram shows 95mm back from the weld, take the pipe off though you can then run a grinding disc around the mark you have made. No need to try and cut all the way through the pipe I found if you just cut through the double skin wall the pipe will separate as if the cat is in 2 halves. When the old silencer is off then cut off the 2 mounting flanges as you will need them as spacers unless you use a shorter bolt on the link pipe mount bracket.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The cat is a b1tch to drill out. Do it off the bike and save all the pain.
If you're installing a decat you can leave the 02 sensor and valve connected.
Be aware it will run rough as guts until you get it tuned for the new exhaust.
Mine runs more or less exactly the same but more sound.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So I guess I'll crash this party by asking why remove the CAT? To improve the sound? That's nonsense....imho. You know, there on our bikes for a good reason. If removal made a performance difference you'd have an argument. But just to change the sound? Give me a break.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Significantly increased performance. More air flow, more fuel, more hp.
Also smoother fuel response when tuned etc.
I guess sound is a subjective thing. Who doesn't love the sound of an aprilia v4 on a track going WOT? Isn't it a part of the experience?

·
Registered
86 Posts
So I guess I'll crash this party by asking why remove the CAT? To improve the sound? That's nonsense....imho. You know, there on our bikes for a good reason. If removal made a performance difference you'd have an argument. But just to change the sound? Give me a break.
Are you simple? Obviously it provides a performance increase, this is well established.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Mine runs more or less exactly the same but more sound.
Sorry, i stand corrected. After reinstalling the exhaust after decat and adding a Yoshi slip on i also had removed
the exhaust valve in preparation for a woolich tune that same week. This was the cause of the rough idle.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So what's the performance increase, maybe a couple hp? Wow. Is that something that makes a difference when we're out riding with friends. I don't think so. Besides, in most US states it's illegal to modify a motorcycle exhaust because it violates environmental emission laws. So, is removing the CAT really worth it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
So I guess I'll crash this party by asking why remove the CAT?
Simply because constrains the breathing of the bike. It's like you having a really bad cold that does not allow you to breath freely.

To improve the sound? That's nonsense....imho.
Not just a better sound! The bike becomes more agile, more responsive, quicker, stronger, nothing to stop the burnt elements of combustion, people notice you better, etc.

You know, there on our bikes for a good reason. If removal made a performance difference you'd have an argument. But just to change the sound? Give me a break.
It does get better performance, for instance my Honda CB500F has much better performance after I removed the CAT; even my Honda Grom 125cc runs much better without the CAT. I cannot even imagine my GSXS1000cc without the CAT. I may be able to fly.

The reason they put the CAT is to make it quiet so it does not bother the people who hate motorcycles. I give a rat ashh about this.>:D

1 - 20 of 43 Posts