GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I have just installed new DID motorcycle chain in my GSXS 1000 but its a Chain Clip Connecting master Link. So it safe for the street bikes to have chain clip master link or shall i replace it with rivet connecting master link?

Cheers

Mohsin

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Hi Moshin. Welcome Aboard:laugh:

Definitely not safe!
Chain clips on large capacity bikes can break or get flung off due to the stresses the chain is put under.
Get yourself a rivet type link as quick as possible and avoid a possible accident or injury or both:eek:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
As long as you put the link on in a correct professional manner with the clip on the correct way around (back of clip facing direction of chain rotation)
Just to clarify 'back of clip", John the Poster is trying to indicate the 'closed' end of the U shaped clip is to point towards the front of the motorcycle, with the open end pointing to the rear number plate.
This is to reduce the chance of a flying rock fron the front tyre flicking the link off the chain.
The one and only time I used one, I silastic glued it as well to add more insurance, as I was not that happy receiving this method of chain replacement product from the fitting Shop.

Rob.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Just to clarify 'back of clip", John the Poster is trying to indicate the 'closed' end of the U shaped clip is to point towards the front of the motorcycle, with the open end pointing to the rear number plate directions.
Rob.
I think "on the upper chain run, not the lower" should be added.....

But I still wouldn't use one on this bike

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I can't imagine a reputable chain maker (which DID is) including a connecting link that was unsafe. I'm sure with proper installation it will be fine, Breaking and connection standard links is not without it's risk either.
From DID's website

"If your motorcycle came with an endless type chain, it is strongly recommend that you use a ZJ rivet type connecting link when replacing your chain. Also for sealed chains, you are strongly recommended to use ZJ connecting links."

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for ur help & feedback. I have ordered the part it shall be with me in 10 days. :)

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
From DID's website

"If your motorcycle came with an endless type chain, it is strongly recommend that you use a ZJ rivet type connecting link when replacing your chain. Also for sealed chains, you are strongly recommended to use ZJ connecting links."
Thanks Paul for straightening me out on that one. I do a lot of bicycling where the "quick links" are fantastic and work great, but I'm sure no riders are putting down 140hp. ;)

·
Registered
248 Posts
i had the supposedly inferior "clip" type chains on my hot rodded gsxr1100 ( 140hp @ wheel + mega torque), didnt have a problem with them, i did have several chain failures before i found the cause - my standard swingarm was twisting due to extra torque output, this allowed the chain to ride off the sprocket which snapped them, i even got a very high strength rated chain with rivet link, - same result, oh and not one of the chains broke at the supposedly weak clip type joiner, i was even running two clip joints at one stage so i could change gearing without putting a second chain on.
i fixed it by making an underbridge for the stock swingarm, its shown in my forum id pic

·
Registered
115 Posts
the 'closed' end of the U shaped clip is to point towards the front of the motorcycle, with the open end pointing to the rear number plate.
On the top or bottom of the chain run? Remember, it changes direction every revolution. :oops:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had the clip style DID chain on my CBR500R for less than a thousand miles before the master link retaining clip fell off. Luckily I caught it before the master link fell apart, the press fit kept it together. I replaced it with the rivet type after that and will never install another clip style one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts