GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, Curious to know what others are doing in relation to lubricating their chains. Obviously the bike comes from the factory with the chain already lubed with what looks like a "white" wax looking stuff.
Only asking because mine just came back from 1000k service & it seems nothing was done to the chain. How often are you dudes lubricating your bikes chain & what are you's using??

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm using ' bel ray superclean ' at the moment. I do it every time I fill the tank. It's probably too often but makes it easy for me to remember to do it.

·
Registered
647 Posts
First off I got rid of that glue that Suzuki supply the bikes with as it just lets grit and crud stick to it. I clean it with general purpose spray (basically a cheap version of WD40) and I use Silkolene chain lube it is clear and leaves a slight tacky feel there are many other similar lubes but you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
87 Posts
using muckoff's endro at the moment as been riding in the wet a bit and their degreaser to clean the chain before re lubing which i do every 200 miles

·
Registered
2 Posts
The OEM stuff is the best, by far, but you will have a hard time replicating its application. Do your best to avoid putting anything on the chain that will penetrate the o-rings and remove the lubricant that is packed in there from the factory. Wipe the chain clean with an oily rag and re-apply with something tacky.

Or get a scottoiler.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Errr.... what about providing boundary layer lubrication between the chain and sprockets to reduce wear? :)
I could see that point but since most chains if not all are roller types the lubes help is minimal. One could even argue that the lube attracts dirt to the sprockets accelerating wear.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I could see that point but since most chains if not all are roller types the lubes help is minimal. One could even argue that the lube attracts dirt to the sprockets accelerating wear.
Sorry to correct you, but your use of the word minimal is incorrect when it comes to wear on the outer surface of each roller and the mating sprocket surfaces. I'd hate people to think that corrosion-proofing was the only consideration. That's not something plucked out of the air, industrial tribology was one of my responsibilities before I retired :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sorry to correct you, but your use of the word minimal is incorrect when it comes to wear on the outer surface of each roller and the mating sprocket surfaces. I'd hate people to think that corrosion-proofing was the only consideration. That's not something plucked out of the air, industrial tribology was one of my responsibilities before I retired :)
Hence the use of Scott Oilers and the extended chain and sprocket life from its use. I used to spray lube on the chain after each ride of 300 - 400kms as that seemed to be the distance when the chain would dry out. When my riding on the Busa started to exceed that on day rides I fitted the Scott Oiler. BTW there is no noticeable chain or sprocket wear after 41,000Kms.
My (yet to purchase) ;) GSXS will be used on shorter rides so I will not fit an ugly and dirty Scott Oiler but revert to daily cleaning and lube of the chain.

Reactions: Dai

·
Registered
515 Posts
I would agree chain oilers help but these are not on our bikes. So we are talking spray on lubes and I stand by my comment that their help is MINIMAL. Hence, the reason one has to put it on so often. Did one also miss the part where tacky lubes attract dirt to wear chains faster? Additionally, as quickly as these "tacky" lubes wear off high load surfaces they are essentially a rust preventative for the rest of the chain. I never meant to imply no one should use a chain lube. Just that their help is limited to mostly rust prevention because of how shortly it lasts.

One additional note. I am speaking to o-ring chains exclusively. Non sealed pivot lube chains are a very different story.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I use WD40 Chain Wax, its almost the same stuff that was originally used when I bought the bike.
Saves loads of chain lube collecting around the number plate etc, you still get some but not half as much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
90#-140# gear oil is your best bet! Clean the chain first (kerosene or WD-40) then apply the oil, liberally! Wipe chain thoroughly and you're good to go. Your chain will last a long time with propper ajustment and cleaning every 500 mi., MAX!!!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
90#-140# gear oil is your best bet! Clean the chain first (kerosene or WD-40) then apply the oil, liberally! Wipe chain thoroughly and you're good to go. Your chain will last a long time with propper ajustment and cleaning every 500 mi., MAX!!!!
Agree.... but use sparingly. Used gear oil for years.
Its what they use on race bikes.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Anyone have any experience with the Worth dry lube? I've a few friends who were raving about it but I don't have any info about long term use.
I used a lubeman oiler in my last bike, it was cheep but really effective. I might consider fitting one to the GSX but I'd have to think about were to locate it

·
Registered
860 Posts
That's not something plucked out of the air, industrial tribology was one of my responsibilities before I retired :)
I had to look that one up. What a great word! Can't wait to use it.

I lube every 500 miles, clean and lube every 1000. The chain on my V-Strom has 32,000 miles and seems in fine condition. I also use Maxima products. Cleaner in the blue can, wax/lube in the gold and black can.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hence the use of Scott Oilers and the extended chain and sprocket life from its use. I used to spray lube on the chain after each ride of 300 - 400kms as that seemed to be the distance when the chain would dry out. When my riding on the Busa started to exceed that on day rides I fitted the Scott Oiler. BTW there is no noticeable chain or sprocket wear after 41,000Kms.
My (yet to purchase) ;) GSXS will be used on shorter rides so I will not fit an ugly and dirty Scott Oiler but revert to daily cleaning and lube of the chain.
I am the opposite,i'll lube the chain when the links are shiny and thats about it. May sound like improper care but i had 53,000km's out of a factory chain and sprockets and it had a lot of life left on it,the only time they were cleaned is when it went in for a service.

This motorcycle won't be any different,i use either Bel Ray[hard to find now] or Motorex.

·
Registered
116 Posts
a question about using oil to lube the chain: I find a oil named Mobil gear xp 220 iso vg 220 (looks like honey...).
it's good or not for our chain?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts