GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a trick anyone can share about how to go about finding the location of the low point on the chain for the purposes of chain slack measurement and adjustment? Better yet if you know exactly where it is maybe you can share a pic on this form so I can mark it for future reference? Thanks.

B

·
0 Posts
Is there a trick anyone can share about how to go about finding the location of the low point on the chain for the purposes of chain slack measurement and adjustment? Better yet if you know exactly where it is maybe you can share a pic on this form so I can mark it for future reference? Thanks.
I've always measured halfway between the sprockets. On the GSX s that's about 13.5 inch. Just measure from the center of the rear axle back up the swingarm. I just put a little mark or a piece of tape on the bottom side of the swingarm. This has been one of the more difficult chains to adjust because every time you retorque the axle nut it tightens up about a half inch or better so I've been setting it around 1 1/2 inch and then torque the axle nut down. That usually leaves me at around 1 inch Remember to check your chain for any tight spots and do your adjustment there as long as it's above the lower limit you're okay with whatever it is at the looser spots It's at the tight spot you don't want to get to Snug.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
The owners handbook tells you., but perhaps you don't have one ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Can you please explain (not sure what you mean)?
Put a bolt or something about 10mm (not your finger) between the bottom row of the chain and where it goes on to the sprocket, this will hold the chain off the sprocket and should give you the correct amount of slack

·
Registered
280 Posts
Put a bolt or something about 10mm (not your finger) between the bottom row of the chain and where it goes on to the sprocket, this will hold the chain off the sprocket and should give you the correct amount of slack
Does that really work?

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
low point meaning most slack and high point meaning less slack....think you adjust when high point is found and adjust the high point to speck .......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts