GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
great tyres and have a similar profile to the Dunlops...wait til you see how good they are in the wet and don't expect to be changing them any time soon due to wear.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I was looking at those. For my style of writing I was actually considering the Diablo Cora...... has anybody used used tires? They seem pretty good and I like the profile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have just fitted a pair of Angel GT on my GSXR 600, looking forward to getting to grips with them, also, just fitted Dunlop roadsmart 3 to the GSXS, be interesting to see the mileage comparison.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have just fitted a pair of Angel GT on my GSXR 600, looking forward to getting to grips with them, also, just fitted Dunlop roadsmart 3 to the GSXS, be interesting to see the mileage comparison.
I'm very interested to see what you think about the Road Smart 3's. I'm running PR 4's right now, but I think they will be done by the end of July.
I ran Road Smart 2's on my FZ1 and really like them. Hopefully the 3's are as good as I think they will be.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I too plan on doing the Angel GT's when the time comes. Though I must say, if your stock tires were still good...why were you done with them? They are excellent tires. Stick like glue in my experience. Virtually every professional review of our bikes praised the performance of the stock tires.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I too plan on doing the Angel GT's when the time comes. Though I must say, if your stock tires were still good...why were you done with them? They are excellent tires. Stick like glue in my experience. Virtually every professional review of our bikes praised the performance of the stock tires.
The stock tires never gave me any problems with grip and were fine. With summer here lots of rain that comes quickly without notice, I wanted something a little more "proven" in the wet. Also, since I would probably have needed a rear within 1000 miles (guess) or so (from where I am, not at 1000 miles on the OD) , I wanted to get it out of the way.

I will say that although the tires were fine, they always felt kind of numb or hard (at all PSI levels). Not sure if that makes sense. Not a criticism just an observation.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Anyone had a problem with tar snakes on the OEM? My bike seems really sensitive to them. More so than I've noticed on my other bikes.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
i have close to 4000 miles on stock tires and look like another 4000 to go mostly highway miles.....id like to ride with some of you guys to see how you burn them up so fast...maybe TC 3 has something to do with it

·
Registered
156 Posts
i have close to 4000 miles on stock tires and look like another 4000 to go mostly highway miles.....id like to ride with some of you guys to see how you burn them up so fast...maybe TC 3 has something to do with it
The rear OEM was 90% gone on my bike at 1800miles.... basically the centre was eaten away by my work commute which was high speed straight line basically.
in the twisties i was about 5mm from the edges at i'd tried various pressures.
front was barely bedded in but always felt poor in terms of feel and outright grip.
I rode TC3 for probably half those miles and it was getting annoying blinking away all the time on corner exits.
Now on Mich Road2's and can't trigger the light on the same roads and conditions....that for me just indicates the limits of the OEM tyre ... i'm now confident to ride TC1 or 2 even in the wet.

·
Registered
437 Posts
"By far the best thing you can do with the OEM tyres is fling them over the highest hedge." And that was from a bloke who worked for dunlop in the uk.!!
I have got pr4s on mine and it transformed the bike for me. I kept to the 50 profile rather than the 55 that some people went for.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
No Thanks! If you can get 8000 miles out of a rear tyre I've got better things to do than stop and wait for you to catch up!>:D

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Hi Guy's,
I thought the Angel GT would be too hard a sidewall for GSXS, but a read on the www tells me that that they have a zero belt construction to make it stiffer, but that allows a full contact patch when leant over.

I would think that the fork preload would have to be lessened off a ring as the front springs are pretty firm as you know.
Last week, I replaced the front tyre on the VFR12F (a Dunlop RoadSmart 1 OEM) at 6000 km with a Pilot Road 4 GT.
My PR4 GT, was in the stiffness range The Dealer stocks for fitting to full rigged Police Honda ST1300's used in my State.
The actual 'code letter' I suppose is on the tyre in the small print somewhere, but I am not that concerned as it works fine for me.

The Viffer is a lot heavier than the GSXS at around 260 KG dry and I have had to reset the suspension at both ends to suit the PR4 GT as it is a stiff sidewall and I was bouncing of the bumps and lumps on the road.

The www indicates the Angel GT is the base tyre and there are a few compound/stiffness choices.
You need to know that you are being sold if you fit them to a light bike.

The www Canyonriders Net site had this on compounds available:

"Typically GT means the tire was designed for heavier bikes, but with the Pirelli the GT is the "base" model.
It also comes in an A-Spec for heavier bikes like FJRs and ST’s or riders who ride with a passenger most of the time.
There is also a D-spec designed specifically for the Ducati Multistrada GT, although nobody seems to be able to tell us exactly what is different between a traditional GT and D-spec."
The Pirelli www was not very fore coming with any info on these gradings, which is slack but expected. Just was sales waffle.

Rob.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Just fitted Dunlop Sportsmart Max and what a difference, rolls into the bends with precision and little effort, very confidence inspiring and much better than the OEM it arrived with. Well chuffed.

Got about 4000 from the rear but it was on it's last legs so I am happy with my choice, stuck with the 50s as I had no choice, it's the law here.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Just fitted Dunlop Sportsmart Max and what a difference, rolls into the bends with precision and little effort, very confidence inspiring and much better than the OEM it arrived with. Well chuffed.

Got about 4000 from the rear but it was on it's last legs so I am happy with my choice, stuck with the 50s as I had no choice, it's the law here.
That's an insane law (BS)! does that made that law probably most likely don't know anything (maybe lawyer/insurance BS). Am glad that the 50 is working out for you;)

The 55 is way better, and if anything it helps performance all around. In fact the 55 giving a larger patch, that makes it safer specially on the hard tight quick turns.

Also quicker reaction in traffic (my experience/ forget the 50/gsxs handles better with 55/does not change anything to the worst/ride with TC Off/spin the rear a bit cornering canyons just fine/with loaded side cases- & 4,500 to 5,000 + miles RS II, 5,700 RS III).

PR 4'S 190/55 get about 4,500 miles (great rain tire!), the angel gt about the same, and very sticky in the rain (when arriving at destination/remove glove & feel the tire heat/great performance as well)

It sure is nice to have so many options to try (the thumbs up should be here, but it didn't work)

Just mounted RS II (they got me the II instead of the III by mistake) again, & also a great tire (55).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts