GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m 6’2”. No matter how I adjust the bar on the gsx-s I don’t like them. The problem is not so much that they are too high, which I don’t care for, but that they are too wide. I see the ones on the 2019 gsx-s750 are lower and narrower.

I have considered cutting off an inch at either end of the bars which would help me live with them, but I’m concerned that the handlebar vibration will increase. If anyone has made any modifications to the bars I’d be interested in the results

·
Registered
340 Posts
If anything, you'd think a shorter piece of metal would vibrate LESS on the ends than a longer piece.

Reactions: oldjackbob

·
Registered
615 Posts
If anything, you'd think a shorter piece of metal would vibrate LESS on the ends than a longer piece.
I believe shortening the bars will raise the resonant frequency. Higher frequency, lower amplitude.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I also don’t care for the handlebars. I believe it’s the sweep for me. There are talks of a Rental street low That works well, I’m looking at Driven meteor bars.
Anyway I’m not sure if cutting the bars would work. To move the controls in you would have to drill new holes or shave the dimples, and the bar end weights screw into A weld nut in the actual handle bars although it’s fairly deep. Don’t know for sure but throwing that out there

·
Registered
340 Posts
I believe shortening the bars will raise the resonant frequency. Higher frequency, lower amplitude.
Maybe if you're using the handlebars to play music with. :p

I'm still sticking with my logic but can't 100% say either way.

Reactions: gritty

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also don’t care for the handlebars. I believe it’s the sweep for me. There are talks of a Rental street low That works well, I’m looking at Driven meteor bars.
Anyway I’m not sure if cutting the bars would work. To move the controls in you would have to drill new holes or shave the dimples, and the bar end weights screw into A weld nut in the actual handle bars although it’s fairly deep. Don’t know for sure but throwing that out there
You don’t have to drill the bars. Just cut/remove the parts on the controls that notch into the bars.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah tend to agree. Not so much for the purpose of comfort, but for the reduced lane filtering opportunities.
No lane filtering allowed where I live. If you try you’re probably going to have some “offended” car driver move over on your. In the States I’ve had the occasional driver move over on me because he/she objected to me overtaking.

·
Registered
2018 Blue/Black F
128 Posts
No lane filtering allowed where I live. If you try you’re probably going to have some “offended” car driver move over on your. In the States I’ve had the occasional driver move over on me because he/she objected to me overtaking.
Lane filtering is one of my favourite past-times. I feel so good when people locked in traffic wish they they could be free of it like me. It’s the only time in my life I’m ever envied so I make the best of it!
Yeah you get the odd one that gets upset and closes the gap, but I find they are far outnumbered by those who try and make a bit more room for you. Also I think some drivers crack it because some bikers tend to blast their way through.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To update. I’ve bought some Driven Meteor sbk bars.

I decided I wasn’t going to modify the Renthals by cutting them down in case the vibration was substantially increased. To buy another Renthal bar would cost around $400 Canadian, so I went for a Driven Meteor sbk bar which I got for $120 Canadian. If it doesn’t work out at least I’ve only wasted $120 not $400.

The driven is a quality bar. I’m not sure yet, as I haven’t pulled out the Renthal bar end or weights, but I don’t think they will fit the Driven bar. I can buy Driven bar ends, but they look lighter than the stock ends. I plan on cutting off an inch at either end of the bar and seeing how that works out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts