GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found lots of posts relating to this task but nothing that talks about how to do it on a bike with a standard exhaust. Is it possible to change it out without removing headers etc?

Thanks.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is possible. Here's a link to a vid made by a member. Thanks lost for the video!
I had mine done by a shop, but they did not have to remove any parts.
Thanks for the link. I have a mechanic doing mine also, I told him I thought it could be done by raising the swingarm (my wheels will be off for painting while he does this) and threading it out the bottom.
That looks to be what was done in the video and mine doesn't have a remote reservoir.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Interested in what brand (size, etc..) you guy's are going with? My old 91 GSXR-750 had a FOX shock on it I remember but other than a higher seat height I don't know what else it did. Is the stock shock really that bad?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interested in what brand (size, etc..) you guy's are going with? My old 91 GSXR-750 had a FOX shock on it I remember but other than a higher seat height I don't know what else it did. Is the stock shock really that bad?
For me (my weight and the roads I'm typically on) it's fine on a perfect road. On a more challenging surface it'll have your feet off the pegs and have a good go at getting you off the seat. I'm going with a Nitron NTR1.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Stock shock is complete rubbish as far as shocks are concerned. If it works for you that's great, more money in your pocket. I went with a Wilbers 641.

·
Registered
7 Posts
OK, now I'm thinking I should save some cash and look into a new shock. I DO plan on keeping this bike for the distant future so I guess it makes sense. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Plenty of threads. Seems like any of the ones mentioned are good. For us here in the US seems like the K-Tech Razor R is popular. It's what I have, and I love it. Worlds better than stock and very adjustable with a remote compression damping adjustment that really works well.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Last time I changed rear Shock, I used scissor jack on top of rear tire. Then I heard of an even easier way... I didn’t have any small jack stands, so made some out of wood. Unloads the swing arm and easy peezy Shock change. Allows the swing arm to move freely to wiggle the Shock out and in.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I made a rig like that except I had a 2x4 brace underneath for a Yamaha FZ-09 I had before my 1000F. I made some V notches so the rear footpeg supports rested on it. It worked great and I would like to adapt it for the GXS F. I did replace my GXS spring using the jack under the fender method and that work pretty well, Gives you just enough room to slide the shock out from underneath on one side. Good Luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just installed a KTech Razor on mine today, used a pair of wheel stands to get the bike up initially, then just put some jack stands under the foot peg bases (I have Hotbodies Rearsets), got the rear wheel stand off, and then used a pump jack to move the wheel up and down as needed to get at what I needed to. I have the stock exhaust and was able to do everything without removing the headers, I just removed the end can to give myself some more room to work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For me (my weight and the roads I'm typically on) it's fine on a perfect road. On a more challenging surface it'll have your feet off the pegs and have a good go at getting you off the seat. I'm going with a Nitron NTR1.
The rear shock will throw you out of the saddle!

Your description of the suspension behaviour is spot on, my fix for the problem is going to be a Nitron R3 Pro rear shock and just to make sure I have rectified the issue Nitron TVT 25 Pro cartridges in the front. My suspension builder will make a few tweaks to the valving and also dyno.

Maybe it is overkill, and maybe if it doesn't fix the problem i will give up riding 😂🤣😂

·
Registered
71 Posts
Rear spool stand, scissor jack between tire and rear sub frame to unload the shock bolts. As soon as everything is disconnected for the shock let the scissor jack down to get the rear suspension compressed in relation to the sub frame. Shock drops right out the bottom. This is on an otherwise stock 2016. I bought a Wiburs 641, works well, but I expect most those mentioned here will as well. Stock shock was a broomstick for me. Still dialing in the Wiburs, but much improved so far.

JT

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just installed the K Tech shock with remote reservoir on my 2016 GSX S1000 standard.
I used my ABBA stand, definitely the best way to get the bike up to get at the shock.
The rebound adjuster at the bottom of the shock is hard to get at, have to get fingers in there somehow.
Any ideas from other K Tech users for adjusting rebound?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Yes easily doable even with the exhaust there, put the Nitron on mine, worst part was the top mount bolt just undo it and pull it far enough to drop the shock out, DONT pull it all the way out its a * to get back in.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes easily doable even with the exhaust there, put the Nitron on mine, worst part was the top mount bolt just undo it and pull it far enough to drop the shock out, DONT pull it all the way out its a * to get back in.
Grab that upper 10mm allen head bolt with long nose vise grips. Pull it all the way out, poke it back in while attached to the vise grips. Easy.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I removed the rear brake reservoir bolt, pushed the reservoir to the side and access was easy

·
Registered
2015 GSX-S1000 ABS
1,679 Posts
I wonder how many people replace the nuts as stated in the workshop manual ? Not me for one. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts