GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,
I feel a bit confuse when I check out the engine oil level, usually the manual said that to check out it should turn on the motorbike for 3 minutes then turn off and wait 3 minutes and check out it (following this option my oil level is under the minimum mark) instead another option said that the level of engine oil should check out when the engine is cold (following this option after 8 hours my engine was in stop the level engine oil is between the maximum and low mark).... Truly I feel a bit confuse which one to follow so I would like some advise which option is right to follows.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi guys,
I feel a bit confuse when I check out the engine oil level, usually the manual said that to check out it should turn on the motorbike for 3 minutes then turn off and wait 3 minutes and check out it (following this option my oil level is under the minimum mark) instead another option said that the level of engine oil should check out when the engine is cold (following this option after 8 hours my engine was in stop the level engine oil is between the maximum and low mark).... Truly I feel a bit confuse which one to follow so I would like some advise which option is right to follows.

Thanks in advance
I don't know which is technically right but for the two motorcycles that I have owned I have checked them completely cold right before I go out on a ride. No issues so far. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know which is technically right but for the two motorcycles that I have owned I have checked them completely cold right before I go out on a ride. No issues so far. :)
Yes @wojo72 ,usually I do so, but checking out the manual and some info online said should check out just Turning on the engine for 3 minutes then turn off and wait 3 minutes more and the engine oil level is quite different if check out when it is cold ....

·
Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
2,091 Posts
The oil level is very sensitive to the slightest deviation from vertical of the bike.
I do it by leaning over the bike from the left and using a mirror to view the glass.
I check mine from cold, never had to put any in between changes.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My way and it worked with both my suzukis was level top lime when completely cold and then 3 min /3min will have it in middle. So basically after oil change put in 3.2 litres start ket idle few mins then wait 3 Mins and top up till middle line then check in morning it shud be top line when cold. So when u do it by suzuki way it will be between 2 lines having in middle when cold unstarted bike its low

·
Registered
295 Posts
Ive had 3 gsxr1000s, and now the gsx-s (pretty much same engine). I always check the level when the bikes on the rear stand when cold. I ensure that it’s between the low and high line. Seems to work for me, none of my bikes have blown up with use.

The hold the bike up, and try to check method, is very iffy when it comes to trying to have the bike completely upright, and can give a totally misleading reading.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My way and it worked with both my suzukis was level top lime when completely cold and then 3 min /3min will have it in middle. So basically after oil change put in 3.2 litres start ket idle few mins then wait 3 Mins and top up till middle line then check in morning it shud be top line when cold. So when u do it by suzuki way it will be between 2 lines having in middle when cold unstarted bike its low
So in my case I use a rear stand to measure it, when the engine is cold the measure is between the top and low level meantime when I start the engine for 5 minutes and then stop it after 5 minutes it is a bit lower than the low level then I should put a bit oil more to reach the minimum level...

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
As long as it's not over the Mark when hot or under the Marker when cold I wouldn't worry about it too much.
I've always checked mine when hot. Switch off for a minute or two to let the oil settle and hoist it upright for a look. If it's between the two marks I don't worry.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
3 minute run and wait is when you do a complete oil change, thats it .....any other time hot or cold its between the lines i tend to fill towards the high line........once the oil starts showing in window ,it takes very little oil to fill glass window ive never had to add oil between oil changes i remember years ago worrying about this this can be put in the class of the dreaded oil threads

·
Registered
205 Posts
Is synthetic best oil to use in a wet clutch?
Purple stuff
What is the best synthetic?
I forgot the Name but it is that stuff that is kept on the top shelf towards the back .. you know that stuff .
How many miles should I go between oil changes?
Any time after yesterday and before the next time should be plenty .
Should I use aftermarket filters or stick with Suzuki OEM?
That is a hard one but generally what ever is said on the internet. Usually stick with either Ford , Chevy , Dodge, Subaru or a Mitsubishi style and you can’t go wrong.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I use Rotella T6 15w-40 in all my bikes. I fill the oil up to the max mark when I change. Start the engine then let it settle for a couple of hours and top to the max line if again if necessary. That way the crankcase is usually between min and max when running.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi guys,

Thanks in advance
I was told to check my bike cold and when I do to lean bike opposite side of stand so to the right to get the engine oil to edun across lower end and case then center bike hold it a couple minutes and see where it's level is a little below top line was fine as like anything when heated expands I also have synthetic motor oil in bike for smoother operation of Scag clutch assembly that's how they maintain my bike at dealer as mine is brand new just turned 525 miles on bike

·
Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
2,091 Posts
Arrrrrrrrrrrgh, enough already.:(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts