GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone considered cleaning up the forum layout? There are too many forums and the way they're laid out is confusing. It's difficult sometimes to try and figure out where you should post. Then good luck trying to remember where you posted or saw something on a particular topic. For starters, a few examples: there's a New Members Intro in the GSXS forum, and Owner's check-in in Ownership. The sub-forums under Ownership are just threads in any other forum. And why is there a faired-specific forum under Related Models? It's not related to GSXS, it IS one. Someone with some organizational skills could consolidate and pare this down to less than half the number there are currently, and it would be less confusing and more user-friendly.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Never once had to look at it. I use tapatalk and only tabs I use are unread and following.
If I need to search for anything I use Google as every forum search is utter w*nk, twice as quick to use Google.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
232 Posts
That would be an admin thing ;)

What do you guys suggest to clean it up a bit?

It does seem that most sections do get used (except Recalls, but I think that's a good thing!). Are the descriptions misleading? Does it need to be listed in a different order that makes sense?

Let us know your thoughts :)

Dayle

·
Registered
379 Posts
It seems like a lot of sections could be consolidated as stickies under fewer main forum sections. If you want suggestions I'm happy to spend a little time looking at it - when I have some spare time which probably means over the next weekend.

·
Administrator
232 Posts
Hey Joe and anyone else with suggestions,

Yes, please. Specifics would be highly useful as we can cater to the community's needs and wants. You guys use this often and you know the site best on how it could be better. When you have the time, let us know what areas can be removed if they are lacking action there, which sections to be consolidated as stickies under fewer main forum sections, etc.

Any feedback/suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Cheers,
Natalie

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hey Joe and anyone else with suggestions,

Yes, please. Specifics would be highly useful as we can cater to the community's needs and wants. You guys use this often and you know the site best on how it could be better. When you have the time, let us know what areas can be removed if they are lacking action there, which sections to be consolidated as stickies under fewer main forum sections, etc.

Any feedback/suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Cheers,
Natalie
I'll have a look at the structure, and make some suggestions early next week. I'd personally like some geographic-centric areas, so people can come together and share relevant, local information. I'd also like to offer my services as an admin, if it'll help you. I've plenty of experience, so PM me if this is something that may help. Cheers.

·
Administrator
232 Posts
Hey guys,

Let us know when you can.
All input is valuable and we will make the changes once everyone has come to a conclusion.

Just doing a quick look through, I have a couple suggestions myself.

Under the Ownership section, we could merge the Check in area, What did you do to your GSXS 1000 today, and Reviews under one subsection and label it something along the lines of "About our bikes".
Cheesy name, but the message will be to make the section a hub for chatter about member's bikes. The photo and video section can also be thrown into the Owner Check in area. (possibly even a sticky?)

The insurance, Competition and Pricing sections could also be jumbled into one section covering Finances and help on how to purchase a bike.

The maintenance, and troubleshooting sections would also benefit from being under the same umbrella.

Keep in mind this is coming from an outside perspective and I look forward to hearing what the team has to say.

Richard.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just my thoughts.

The S1000F and S1000 General forums should be combined. Exhaust, tires and suspension dont need sub forums. Just make all of that part of the main modding forum. Maintenance and troubleshooting should be combined. All 3 classified forums should be combined. Other bike discussion should be apart of Off topic. Dealers and pricing doesn't need its own sub forum, neither does insurance chatter. Both of those could be handled with threads in the general discussion.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I would like to see members Location IE. country/state plus model of bike made mandatory in the info panel on left under the Avatar/name.
It would make posts so much easier to fully appreciate and understand.
I posted about the location many moons ago but some folks seemed to get uptight about it. Maybe they just didn't like being told what to do. There's nowt so queer as folk, where's the harm, it isn't as if there is enough information for me to come and shout abuse through their letter boxes.:)

·
Registered
379 Posts
The main page (GSXS1000.org) is basically a summary of the forum. So it might just make more sense to have the forum page come up. People can see which threads are most recent, and the most active threads will stay at the top of the respective forum.

Having 'most active threads' on the first page but showing threads that are up to several years old is a little confusing.

·
Administrator
232 Posts
Hey there

Great suggestions so far!

Does anyone have objections to the above?

As for mandatory locations, this is something we have the ability to make mandatory but there is usually some backlash to it so we leave it optional. We find that mandatory locations get you a lot of different responses like "Middle Earth" or other imaginative places, which doesn't help any more than leaving it blank.
If there is enough interest in making it mandatory, we can do that. It will prompt all members to update it once they edit their profile again.

The Most Popular Discussions on the home page seem to be up to date for me? It's a little confusing, as it uses the start date of the thread instead of the most recent comment. But the top few that I checked seemed to be active within the last week.
It's also supposed to be pulling from the News forum but seems the plugin needs a bit of a kick.

Dayle

·
Registered
974 Posts
Just my thoughts.

The S1000F and S1000 General forums should be combined. Exhaust, tires and suspension dont need sub forums. Just make all of that part of the main modding forum. Maintenance and troubleshooting should be combined. All 3 classified forums should be combined. Other bike discussion should be apart of Off topic. Dealers and pricing doesn't need its own sub forum, neither does insurance chatter. Both of those could be handled with threads in the general discussion.
Almost how i am thinking too.

Tires & Misc Equipment can just be part of general discussion so delete that one.
Riding Gear isn't really classified but is a good topic.
http://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/new-members-introduction/New Members Introduction and GSXS 1000 Owners Check In Area could be merged and they can just tell us their story and it can be called New Members Introduction
Suzuki GSXS Recalls And Service Bulletins should be at the top under GSXS1000 News

There is just too many sections and it gets confusing, i generally use tapatalk to reply but when i want to start a new thread i have to look around and really think where it belongs, just my 2 cents, and more emojis :)

·
Administrator
232 Posts
Hey guys,

All these suggestions sounds great.

How do you guys feel about the suggestions that have been given above?

We can implement the changes once the team comes to a consensus.

Richard.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've been mulling it over and will make some suggestions when I get back in town. I think most of the suggestions so far are good ones.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Hi Admin,
Firstly the Search Engine (s).
There are 2 options given, Google or VB search.

For me at least, Google doesn't find anything. It only comes up with a blank page with "GSXS :"
The VB Engine does work, but it doesn't help much as it does not show the word or term being sought after. Just the thread header's, and there are so many there with no indication that you should be interested into delving deeper, as no context is given.

For the Re Hash, I would cull more of it off.

I see no need for GSXS reviews as that is a Google search away now as the bike has been out 2 years ;
Insurance and price paid/deals is not really relevant.

So the Subject Headers as below, and NO further drilling down into Sub Header Topics.
The Member makes a new Thread Starter and the replies generate under that. So the newest will always be first too.
Our Moderator Chicago AJ can shuffle them as needed back to a better place if they wander to fall from the subject.

Rob.

General Discussion of Motorcycling Topic's (not limited to the GSXS) which could include Trip plans or visited, Similar bikes to GSXS etc.

GSXS Technical Discussion's & Questions (Incl. Stickies) Like how to remove a rear spring, fork overhaul, radiator clutch cable fouling.

GSXS 750 Specific (any topic, that doesn't fit else where above) This 750 model will grow in popularity I think from now on.

GSXS1000 Specific (Naked & F) (ditto above)

For Sale, Classified Ad's

Ask the Administration & Moderator a Question/Suggestion

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Since search was brought up, could there be a Google search bar at the top of the forum pages, like on some other forums I'm on? The local forum search function is pretty useless - it deems certain key words as "too short" or "too common", etc. Maybe there's an easier way, but to search on Google I have to enter the forum address followed by a colon and then my search.

Unrelated, but also an annoyance, in Classifieds could threads be deleted, or at least SOLD added to subject line, when items are no longer available? Maybe this would have to fall to the person posting. If that's the case, could there could be a reminder on the front page?

·
Administrator
232 Posts
Hey guys,

I have notified ChicagoAJ about this conversation, so we can get an opinion from the mod team.

Regarding the Google search bar, that already exists on the site.
On the left of the search bar, there is a down arrow, click that and you will see a google icon.
This will grab search result from google itself.

I can talk to the mod team about creating a section where old "Sold" threads can be moved to.
Otherwise we can have them closed once the sale is complete.

Richard.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts