GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I can feel something shift and clunk when I apply the front brake.

The dealer says this is normal, as the pad doesn't fit perfectly in the front caliper, but I have never felt this in several other motorcycles that I have owned.

Has anybody else experienced this, or have any insight? Would appreciate it very much.

·
Registered
694 Posts

The dealer says this is normal, as the pad doesn't fit perfectly in the front caliper, but I have never felt this in several other motorcycles that I have owned.

Has anybody else experienced this, or have any insight? Would appreciate it very much.

are you using both brakes? I notice that when abs is on, and I use hard front brake, the engine kinda stutters down or something. use both brakes and removes that feeling. not sure what clunk you are referring too.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

I had this, and the front wheel bearings had gone in just a few thousand km, a friends bike was exactly the same so check out your wheel bearings

·
Registered
327 Posts

It's not the bearings because if it was the noise would always be there not just when applying the brakes.
Sometimes the pads make a noise when they move on to the disc/rotor caused by the piston caliber being a bit sticky. If it's slight it's normal but If it' gets worse I would be taking it to a bike shop for them to check unless your mechanically minded to disassemble yourself and check it out

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
It's not the bearings because if it was the noise would always be there not just when applying the brakes.
Sometimes the pads make a noise when they move on to the disc/rotor caused by the piston caliber being a bit sticky. If it's slight it's normal but If it' gets worse I would be taking it to a bike shop for them to check unless your mechanically minded to disassemble yourself and check it out
WRONG, my bearings made no noise at all but clunked under braking (or sharp drop in concrete, as loose pads do) but my bearings were completely shot and my brakes were absolutely fine.

·
Registered
244 Posts
there is definetly something not right, the brakes dont clunk when applying them, take it to some other shop to get it inspected, or a mechanically minded freind

·
Registered
139 Posts
It is not normal to have a clunking feel when on the brakes. Sounds like something is loose. Could be in the triples, brake calipers, front wheel. Hard to say on the internet. I'd check everything up front.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had this, and the front wheel bearings had gone in just a few thousand km, a friends bike was exactly the same so check out your wheel bearings
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think it might be the wheel bearings -- the mechanic suggested it might be. Is there any way I can test that the bearings are bad, with my limited mechanical know-how? I do have a track stand for the front.

·
Registered
244 Posts
with the wheel on your stand, i.e free to spin, grip top and bottom of wheel, try to side load back/forth, it will be apparent if there is any play, no play is allowed for road worthiness, to check steering head brg, with wheels on ground and fr brakes applied, try to rock bike forwards and backwards any movement felt thru the triple clamp can indicate adjustment nessesary, also check your fr/ brake caliper bolts are tight.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think it might be the wheel bearings -- the mechanic suggested it might be. Is there any way I can test that the bearings are bad, with my limited mechanical know-how? I do have a track stand for the front.
First test is to put in the stand and rotate the wheel and feel for roughness and try to move the wheel from side to side, alternatively take the wheel off and feel the bearing spin by hand. You don't need Suzuki bearings, they are of a standard size and can be got from any good bearing store.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did you ever get this resolved? I am having the same thing happen with mine. 8050 miles on odo. 8 months old. Seems to be causing a slight pull, low speed to the right when clunk happens. Only when applying the front brake moderately and traveling at low speed, like 10 to 20 mph. Haven't felt another similar bike front brake pull, but mine seems to be slightly above half pull then is firm. Seems like it should be higher. Thinking may have air in caliper from factory. Right binder clamping harder than left and causing clunk of shock is what it sounds and feels like.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
PP, Have you checked the replacement front wheel bearings for any developing similar issues ?
I remember the photo's you posted showed a lot of corrosion or rust on the bearing faces, which makes me suspect that water entry was a large contributing factor, rather than just a bearing manufacturing fault.
Would sealed bearings be better than open bearings (good for adding grease though), although sealed is really just for dust.
I am here assuming that in Thailand your rain and ground water is warmer than most Members would encounter. Do your get acid rain there from China ?

Rob.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, I have the same feeling, in my case is a slightly stuck piston. Maybe some dirt between piston and dust seal. Its more noticeable when caliper is hot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts