·
Registered
82 Posts
My filler cap is on the Right hand side - Oceanic model

·
Registered
2015 GSX-S1000 ABS
1,597 Posts
Heads up lads and lasses go and check your clutch cable isn't rubbing through on the top left hand side of the radiator near the filler cap..... :(
Guess you were standing in front of the bike when you made that observation.;)
Anyway thanks for the tip, if the cable is running thro' the guide on the headstock/frame it should be OK.
Edit : Had a closer look and yes it does still catch when the bars are turned to the right. Have fixed mine with a cable tie.
Thanks again for the tip.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Heads up lads and lasses go and check your clutch cable isn't rubbing through on the top left hand side of the radiator near the filler cap..... :(
Appreciate that! Just had a look and there are scuff marks but no damage as yet. Have taken about 50mm of plastic tubing, split it down its length and slipped it over the cable as a sleeve - job done. Many thanks! :)

·
Registered
987 Posts
Mine has signs of light abrasion, and at only little over 100 miles. The edge of that radiator is pretty sharp. I guess you could tie it to that strut brace, but be aware it can have sharp edges, too. Mine was unpainted metal, presumably because it's an F and this area doesn't show. Maybe the edges of the painted ones are smoother?

I wrapped a slit fuel hose around it and put a cable tie around the hose to help hold it in place. I used a 1/4" hose; it could probably do with a 5/16" if it isn't loose. There was a gap in mine that had to be pointed away from the radiator. Might be best to use some adhesive, like silicone sealant or super glue to keep it from twisting or sliding down the cable. I'm going to try to remember to check it periodically and apply some glue if it moves.

Thanks to tonyt for catching this and possibly saving us a lot of grief down the road. I vote that this shall forevermore be known as the tonyt mod, in honor of its discoverer.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Thanks Tony. Running downstairs at lunchtime to check mine (and to check the fuel trim table from this morning's commute to work).

·
Registered
987 Posts
Tony - just out of curiosity, how many miles on your bike? I see you've been around here for a while, but that radiator is so clean it looks nearly new.

I'm a little surprised this little flaw got by the engineers. I would think that early on in Motorcycle Design 101, they would teach you to not route wires, cables or hoses across the sharp edges of metal objects, especially where they are free to vibrate and move about.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Thanks Tony for sharing info about this issue.

Beware of the hot surface of the radiator.
Try to route the clutch cable far away from the radiator body.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tony - just out of curiosity, how many miles on your bike? I see you've been around here for a while, but that radiator is so clean it looks nearly new.

I'm a little surprised this little flaw got by the engineers. I would think that early on in Motorcycle Design 101, they would teach you to not route wires, cables or hoses across the sharp edges of metal objects, especially where they are free to vibrate and move about.
Hey Gary ..... Thats not my bike I got the pic from the Facebook group....... ;)

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine has signs of light abrasion, and at only little over 100 miles. The edge of that radiator is pretty sharp. I guess you could tie it to that strut brace, but be aware it can have sharp edges, too. Mine was unpainted metal, presumably because it's an F and this area doesn't show. Maybe the edges of the painted ones are smoother?

I wrapped a slit fuel hose around it and put a cable tie around the hose to help hold it in place. I used a 1/4" hose; it could probably do with a 5/16" if it isn't loose. There was a gap in mine that had to be pointed away from the radiator. Might be best to use some adhesive, like silicone sealant or super glue to keep it from twisting or sliding down the cable. I'm going to try to remember to check it periodically and apply some glue if it moves.

Thanks to tonyt for catching this and possibly saving us a lot of grief down the road. I vote that this shall forevermore be known as the tonyt mod, in honor of its discoverer.
LOL I can't claim for catching this in time... I saw it on the Facebook group..:laugh:

·
Registered
987 Posts
Hey Gary ..... Thats not my bike I got the pic from the Facebook group....... ;)
Ah... still a little disconcerting that a new-ish bike (at least one that is clean and hasn't been beat up) could have that much wear to the cable.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Thanks Tony. I have the F model with 7,000 miles. I ran my hand down from the top and can definitely feel some abrasion on the clutch cable as it passes by the top rear edge of the radiator. I made a note to address it the next time I have the fairings off.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Nice Info.... mines due it's first service soon and if it's like that I'll be insisting on a warranty claim for a new cable and getting the dealer to raise it as a potential recall issue / service bulletin

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks for posting. My naked has about 1000 miles and had worn through the plastic sleeve covering the cable. I used some 3m double sided foam tape to keep the abrasion off of the cable.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts