GSXS 1000 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

· Registered
387 Posts
Is the cable being worn from the sharp edge of the radiator or is it from the heat melting it from the hot radiator? I checked it after riding and it seems like the heat could be melting the cable.. Either way needs to be addressed.
I think it's because of the sharp edge, not because of the heat from radiator.

But to be sure you'll protect the clutch cable for heat and for abrasion too, you can use a PET cloth wire harness tape for high abrasion protection and high temperature resistance (see this link for more details).

You can buy it from ebay for $8.

· Registered
260 Posts
I think it's because of the sharp edge, not because of the heat from radiator.

But to be sure you'll protect the clutch cable for heat and for abrasion too, you can use a PET cloth wire harness tape for high abrasion protection and high temperature resistance (see this link for more details).

You can buy it from ebay for $8.
Good link just what I was looking for thanks!

· Premium Member
365 Posts
Just used a couple zip ties yesterday to hold the wire up off the edge of the radiator. Seems like a permanent solution until (if) there's a recall.

· Registered
387 Posts
When you will turn handlebars to the right, the cable will push down on zip ties. Zip ties will break or the cable will continue to wear in contact with zip ties. I think a better solution is to let the cable to move free up and down and to wrap TESA tape around the cable on the contact area. The cons of this solution is you have to check from time to time and to replace the tape in case it gets worn.

· Registered
984 Posts
When you will turn handlebars to the right, the cable will push down on zip ties. Zip ties will break or the cable will continue to wear in contact with zip ties. I think a better solution is to let the cable to move free up and down and to wrap TESA tape around the cable on the contact area. The cons of this solution is you have to check from time to time and to replace the tape in case it gets worn.
Or slit a section of fuel hose and wrap around it, can secure the hose to the cable with silicone or cable tie. Pretty thick and durable, would take a while to wear through it.

Reactions: scooby61

· Registered
387 Posts
I don't think this is 100% related with the issue discussed in this topic, but lately I have noticed a strange sound when turning the handlebars from straight to the right.
This sound seems to come from behind the headlamp and it sounds like some cables are rubbing together or against a plastic/rubber part. It seems to me that one or more cables are too tight or are not free to move when turning the handlebars to right. Has someone around here noticed this sound?
I'm back and reporting: hey guys, I think we may have some "little" problems with all the cables that are going down between the dashboard and handlebars. I will attach two pics (sorry for the poor quality of them):
1.in the first one the two throttle cables are worn nearby the dashboard (from this point it comes the sound I can hear when I'm turning the handlebars to the right);
2.in the 2nd pic the clutch cable it is worn also by the metal part which holds it near the chassis.

Attachments

· Registered
156 Posts
I used slit reinforced fuel line and tie wrapped. The cable has its original freedom I will just have to monitor and replace periodically. Took the bike back to the dealer and showed them. That was the first they heard of it and immediately sent a report about it to their Suzuki rep and tech site. If you want a recall and Suzuki to make a permanent fix everyone should do this. They won't do anything until enough complaints are put through official channels. Thanks for the heads up on this at only 220 miles mine had a pretty deep gouge in the cable jacketing.

· Premium Member
365 Posts
After 1,000 miles my two zip tie solution is still working great. No wear on the cable or zip ties and they hold the cable about a 1/4 inch off the radiator from lock to lock.

· Registered
2,312 Posts
After 1,000 miles my two zip tie solution is still working great. No wear on the cable or zip ties and they hold the cable about a 1/4 inch off the radiator from lock to lock.
i did the same used zip tie.didnt like hose rubbing on radiator..floats free 1/4 inch away used one...but adding a second one in case other breaks...im lazy i used white....

41 - 60 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.