GSXS 1000 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 84 Posts

· Registered
984 Posts
While you're checking for wear at the radiator, you might also want to look a couple inches behind to make sure the cable isn't impinging on the radiator fan - the cable is pressed pretty firmly against the shroud. There is a thread here where it was actually blocking the radiator fan, causing overheating. You can look through the frame on the right side to see this on the F, I assume also on the naked.

· Registered
14 Posts
Thank you Tonyt. My bike has 250 miles and chafing was evident. Tie-wrapped it up about 1/4 inch, also filed a little on the radiator casting that caused the damage. There is enough material there to remove the sharpness in case tie wrap fails.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

· Registered
984 Posts
Zip tie is on the radiator mount, doesn't affect the fairings. However, if you don't want to zip-tie, slit a short length of fuel hose and wrap around the cable where it passes over the radiator.

· Registered
538 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, I'll be tying mine up out of the way. But for those who haven't gotten around to it, don't be too worried. Here's mine after 12,000 miles, that's a protective tube from factory, not the cable sleeve, and it doesn't look like it's gonna rub through to the actual cable sleeve any time soon. Though, of course YMMV.

Attachments

· Registered
984 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, I'll be tying mine up out of the way. But for those who haven't gotten around to it, don't be too worried. Here's mine after 12,000 miles, that's a protective tube from factory, not the cable sleeve, and it doesn't look like it's gonna rub through to the actual cable sleeve any time soon. Though, of course YMMV.
I guess some radiators have sharper edges than others. Some have had much more wear after just a few thousand miles.

· Registered
1,389 Posts
My new 2 days ago 1000 after my first ride yesterday of 80 km now has 2 not deep slice marks across the cable.
There was zero on delivery, so I assume with extended use heat from the radiator soften's the plastic outer sheath.
The air temp when I got home was 35 C, and Summer is still 2 -3 weeks away. In saying that, Hotter ambient's probably don't matter as the radiator is scalding hot and the cable is in constant sliding contact.
Yet, Suzuki has done nothing about it on the Katana either.
I cried when I saw that they have added rub protective strips to the feet side plates so your boot's don't wear the black finish away, but not a clutch cable protector which is more important to safety than appearance.
So some may not have seen this 'sticky' Thread, so this is my copy of other's work as a fix.
The band on the cable tie is 5 mm black matte heat shrink shrunk in situ. The camera flash has made it appear white.
The heat shrink was to cover the teeth of the ratchet to allow the cable to move a bit more freely sideways over the ratchet teeth.
Perhaps 2 ties in a figure 8 would have been better or even I tie in a circle with a round spring like on a key ring. Rob.

Attachments

· Registered
7 Posts
Heads up lads and lasses go and check your clutch cable isn't rubbing through on the top left hand side of the radiator near the filler cap..... :(
Mine partially worn thru 2019 naked model . Was pointed out by a fellow rider at a servo one day. A cable tie did the trick. I passed it onto another rider last month. When I got the 12000km service I asked the dealer how many cables they have had to replace , he said 'none' ...

· Registered
572 Posts
Zero miles and zero wear but the cable does sit on top of the upper edge of the radiator. I can see how wear is going to happen to some degree. I used a section of 3/8 tube zip tide to the cable and then to the rad mount .. will not ever be an issue.

· Registered
2018 Blue/Black F
128 Posts
On a few bikes I've noticed the cables become overly taught when the handle bars are either hard right or hard left. Where possible I'll park my bike with the handle bars in the straight position.
Sad, but in most cases an extra <10mm of cable would solve the problem. It is what it is (-:

61 - 80 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.