GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s time I change my clutch to many wheelies and feathering I can feel it slipping on open roads when I hammer the throttle

or my tune is so off I’m starting to really notice it

Dose anyone know if I can just get 2005-2008 gsxr1000 clutch plates ? I can find a lot more aftermarket stuff for the gsxr, I normally replace my clutches with the carbon fiber Kevlar EBC clutches but that’s on my dirt bikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
556 Posts
I would not put anything in it but stock fiber plates, metal drive plates and stock springs. It is not a hard job, done it many times on GSXR-1000s that even had the slipper clutches.

·
Registered
248 Posts
how many kms ?, id be amazed if they are actually worn , full on drag racing starts excepted.
if you abuse the clutch alot, id look at modding the oil supply to it , that will get a more abuseable setup

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how many kms ?, id be amazed if they are actually worn , full on drag racing starts excepted.
if you abuse the clutch alot, id look at modding the oil supply to it , that will get a more abuseable setup

6600 miles that’s a good idea,

I do a lot of clutch up wheelies

·
Registered
556 Posts
I used to get 100+ road race starts on a GSX-R1000 clutch, OEM plates, fibers and springs. Never had them slip but always changed them at beginning of a season. Even my GSX-R600s with launch control would go about the same length of time and launch control had to be hard on the 600 clutch the way it left the line.

·
Registered
556 Posts
My bike wheelies up just fine in 1st and 2nd gear no clutch and I'm only +1 up on the rear sprocket with a 55 rear profile michelin tire. I rode with a 1290r this past weekend he didn't have nothing for my Zuki. And he works for KTM.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My bike wheelies up just fine in 1st and 2nd gear no clutch and I'm only +1 up on the rear sprocket with a 55 rear profile michelin tire. I rode with a 1290r this past weekend he didn't have nothing for my Zuki. And he works for KTM.

My bike wheelies no problem in 1-2 I do some 3rd gear stand up wheelies and it likes to burn the clutch a bit I think I need to get a dyno tune

·
Registered
248 Posts
makes me wonder if the oil you have used at some time may have had friction modifyers in it, i tend to give my clutch alot of abuse in 1st gear on take offs due to how tall its geared, im actually thinking of installing a orient express lower ratio 1st gear to allow taller overal gearing, as im looking for 300km topspeed ability for a hillclimb race im attending again in march

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
makes me wonder if the oil you have used at some time may have had friction modifyers in it, i tend to give my clutch alot of abuse in 1st gear on take offs due to how tall its geared, im actually thinking of installing a orient express lower ratio 1st gear to allow taller overal gearing, as im looking for 300km topspeed ability for a hillclimb race im attending again in march

I’ve only ever used motul 300V in my bike and I change my oil every 2800 miles or 3000 miles depending on how I’m feeling

·
Registered
136 Posts
How did the Zuki make out against the 1290 in a low gear roll on ?

·
Registered
556 Posts
How did the Zuki make out against the 1290 in a low gear roll on ?
Very good, he's a bigger guy than me but rides with full on rider aides on the thing. I on the other hand road raced for 17 years and can pretty much murder anyone in and out of a turn even on the street holding back 25% in my pocket. The few straights there where we rode I could roll on him pretty good and could'a passed if I had wanted to. I run my bike with no TC no nothing and it has no abs. It ain't stock but close enough to call any race or pretend race a fair run. He works for KTM and pretty much gets the bikes for nuthin and refers to my Zuki as "bad boy".>:D of course the rider ain't to shabby either :D

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
6600 miles that’s a good idea,

I do a lot of clutch up wheelies

Jeez! You animal:laugh: I've got nearly 4 times that on my odo and have'nt even had to adjust the clutch cable yet:eek:
Mind you, i don't tend to use it much;)

·
Registered
584 Posts
KTM, Ducati, BMW, MV Agusta, et al are what my riding buddy calls BOUTIQUE bikes. Great fun and give you some 'status' right up until they need work or parts, then you are waiting for expensive service and paying out the nose for parts. In the mean time, your Yamaha-Honda-Suzuki-Kawasaki is still running great and not costing you a fortune. And this is the disconnect because ALL service and ALL parts seem expensive, but you ain't seen nothing until you go to get a Ducati stator or master cylinder replaced! And a valve adjustment on those things? Hope you have $800 you weren't planning on using for anything else. Just crazy.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Twag4, put the same in my CBR929RR and it was very good. (For those reading, remember to soak the new discs in oil first! Don't just put them in dry.)

·
Registered
188 Posts
I put an EBC carbon fiber clutch in mine. I’m very happy with it!
Twag4, put the same in my CBR929RR and it was very good. (For those reading, remember to soak the new discs in oil first! Don't just put them in dry.)

EBC state they don't recommend using fully synthetic oil meanwhile suzuki state use synthetic oil - i personally prefer synthetic oil.

What's your take / experience with this

1 - 20 of 25 Posts