GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 2007 Yamaha warrior (totaled last September). I'm debating between the GSX s1000 or the BMW r1200r. Your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Think you might get a bit of a one sided opinion on here �� Best advice is go and try them both and see which is best for you, for me the GSX-S is a fantastic bike and yes it might not have BMW build quality but it also doesn't come with BMW prices.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The GSX S is great value for your money for a 1000cc. Here in South Africa, with the dollar/rand exchange rate bikes have got very expensive. You can pick up a GSX S and Kawasaki Z 1000 for around R145,000, other brands over R200,000!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's on my agenda, but it's hard to find dealers here in Florida that allow test rides, specially on the Japanese bikes. Thanks.

·
Registered
724 Posts
That's on my agenda, but it's hard to find dealers here in Florida that allow test rides, specially on the Japanese bikes. Thanks.

Yep I agree with Hutch... The Suzuki is a lovely bike and everything is reasonably cheap from buying.. modding.. running costs..etc.. Very unlike BMW...!! :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Cachenco, I'm assuming you're considering the current water-boxer r1200r? Well I just came off an r1100s. Bmers are lovely but a little oranges vs tangerines to the GSXS. I didn't need the luggage capability and I didn't feel like paying for all the electronic "toys" like gear shift assist pro and the ESA electric suspension. The GSXS has twenty more hp and less weight. If you are a chain-o-phobe, well its not that big a deal and I noticed the Sazook doesn't use a cotter pin on rear axle making adjustments easier. I don't work on bikes like I used to, so I got to dread getting the bike worked on (6000-mile service was $800 to 1000 :(). So for me the Sazook is faster than my old bmr just shifting around 6-7000 rpm, passing ability is much better (terrific), and it gets much better mileage (+46mpg previous tank). So the bmr the way I optioned it out was north of $18000. But I didn't need all of the touring capability (ie, factory saddle bags & top box). A dealer here in the Phoenix valley was advertising gsx-s1000f for 9799, and I think 500 less for the naked. Anyway, if you can use a bit sportier ride, I think the GSXS's should be bullet proof.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One concern I have, how bad is the throttle issue with this bike? If I can't find a dealer to do a test ride this could have a heavy weight on my decision.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Before I tested the Gsxs I tested about 4 other bikes and really enjoyed the BMW, I found the more pliable suspension and very good throttle a real joy and if I had been a couple of years older and not tried the Gsxs then probably would have bought one. BUT for sheer riding enjoyment and the adrenaline rush it had to be the Suzuki.
And a good choice it was too

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Before I tested the Gsxs I tested about 4 other bikes and really enjoyed the BMW, I found the more pliable suspension and very good throttle a real joy and if I had been a couple of years older and not tried the Gsxs then probably would have bought one. BUT for sheer riding enjoyment and the adrenaline rush it had to be the Suzuki.

And a good choice it was too

I'm in my mid 50s, the bmer may be the way to go for me.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Worth noting is the performance difference between the two. Unless you love low reving tractor motors, you;ll hate the BMW.

In fact, over on the Ninja 1000 forum, a member sold his 2011 ninja and bought a brand new 1200 rs. Within a week, he was back at the Kawasaki dealer trying to get his old ninja back. Of course, when a trade in is worth 15,000 and the bike you want is 6000, that deal will never work.

He said it was slow, heavy, and soulless (the bmw).

In this case, one bike has 100 horsepower, the other, 150. If that thought makes you smile, you'll dislike the BMW.

·
Registered
299 Posts
That BMW is a bit too hoidy toidy for me. Maybe if I were a librarian and wore a tweed jacket, smoked a pipe, had beard and was either skinny as a toothpick or egg shaped. But that bike, and the type of people that ride them, does not appeal to me in the least. Now, maybe the S1000R is a little more youthful and modern.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Worth noting is the performance difference between the two. Unless you love low reving tractor motors, you;ll hate the BMW.

In fact, over on the Ninja 1000 forum, a member sold his 2011 ninja and bought a brand new 1200 rs. Within a week, he was back at the Kawasaki dealer trying to get his old ninja back. Of course, when a trade in is worth 15,000 and the bike you want is 6000, that deal will never work.

He said it was slow, heavy, and soulless (the bmw).

In this case, one bike has 100 horsepower, the other, 150. If that thought makes you smile, you'll dislike the BMW.
The current boxer motor is rated at 125 hp and 92 lbs torque. I test rode a 1200 RS a few months ago and thought it f'g ripped! It was fast and extremely nimble. Not quite up to the GSXS but it's a true sport tourer. I believe redline was 9,000 rpm, not really low-revving IMO. For that HDs get the nod. They come flying apart at 5500.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts