GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello all. Signed on to inquire about what to look for before purchasing a new F model. I've ridden one before and liked it. I got serious about a Ducc SS and liked the torque but not the price. So I am still kicking tires. I am thinking about trading my old 1200 bandit.

1. Snatchy throttle. Is this a persistent issue with newer 2018 models or has it been ironed out? Frankly the '16 model wasn't that bad but the I've ridden some bikes like Yammie FZ-09 that would make it a deal breaker. I read that the primary issue was TPS adjustment. I'd appreciate an update on this subject as it pertains to '18 models, I'd hate to get stuck with one I couldn't fix... Thanks.

2. Saddlebags. My big HB Jrs won't fit. I've seen some Givis and HB Cbows. Is there a consensus? I have the old canvas bags from the Bandit but would prefer Givi 601 but they appear "sold out".

3, Tankbag. I don't remember if if tank is steel for my magnetic tank bag.

4. Mirrors. I'd prefer bar ends. Any recommendations?

5. Tires. I read here that 55 series tires are better turn in but didn't get the right size.

6. Shock. I read it's not the best but is OK with the right adjustment ?

7. Any info for throttle lock and heated grips?

so this is a lot of info. Appreciate any advice. I would assume that most here would recommend purchase?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
hello all. Signed on to inquire about what to look for before purchasing a new F model. I've ridden one before and liked it. I got serious about a Ducc SS and liked the torque but not the price. So I am still kicking tires. I am thinking about trading my old 1200 bandit.

1. Snatchy throttle. Is this a persistent issue with newer 2018 models or has it been ironed out? Frankly the '16 model wasn't that bad but the I've ridden some bikes like Yammie FZ-09 that would make it a deal breaker. I read that the primary issue was TPS adjustment. I'd appreciate an update on this subject as it pertains to '18 models, I'd hate to get stuck with one I couldn't fix... Thanks.
2018 seem to be generally better but some still have an issue with the snatchy throttle - this can be improved hugely by adjusting the TPS, 2018 models are adjusted differently to earlier versions but can still be done, see link to TPS adjustment with video here

2. Saddlebags. My big HB Jrs won't fit. I've seen some Givis and HB Cbows. Is there a consensus? I have the old canvas bags from the Bandit but would prefer Givi 601 but they appear "sold out".
Sorry, no idea

Yes it is a steel tank and I've used magnetic tank bags with no problem

I have CRG arrow bar ends, not cheap but very good view, very stable

5. Tires. I read here that 55 series tires are better turn in but didn't get the right size.
Bike comes with 190/50 as stock, but you can use 190/55 or 200/55 both give quicker turn in due to the more pointed profile but bear in mind that profile shapes differ between manufacturers and one company's 50 may be as pointed as another's 55

Its not the best - setting the sag correctly helps but the damping is far from good

Heated grips - what are they its 42C here today

so this is a lot of info. Appreciate any advice. I would assume that most here would recommend purchase?[/QUOTE]

Hope this helps a bit and welcome to the forum

·
Registered
26 Posts
Get one mate. Great bikes, great value for money. Aftermarket is flooded with parts for them, luggage is a bit pricey as for all newer bikes. Snatchy throttle isnt any worse than Yams and the likes, sorted 90% by adjusting TPS and or a flash.

·
Registered
180 Posts

Later bikes don't suffer as badly with the throttle issues, but as said by others setting the TPS up and adjusting your cables correctly makes it near perfect, a flash to set the bike up and eliminate closed throttle fuel cut will also help. It's not really bad but can be improved.

I use "Oxford Lifetime" throw over panniers without any problem.

Magnetic tank bag will work, GIVI also make a tank ring to adapt for use with their "Tanklock" products

I use Puig bar end mirrors, supplied as a complete kit. Work very well.

As Paul said, plenty of options, 55 profile is certainly much better, the more sport orientated the tyre the steeper the profile, especially on Michelin, Pirelli, Dunlop.

I'd recommend replacement be factored in at some point, IMO the stock shock is junk and when pushed hard is useless.

2 or 3 options on throttle lock, however you'll rule it out if you fit bar end mirrors. Heated grips, any standard heated grip will work.

Having owned some 68 bikes over the last 47 years of riding I've had the pleasure of riding some very nice bikes but also a few dogs, the GSXS is a great fun bike to own and ride once it's set up properly and tweaked a bit here and there. I'll be keeping her in my collection when I retire her from everyday use.
For the purchase price you get a pretty good bike with a fantastic engine, one of the best IMO, for a reasonable investment in aftermarket additions and a reflash of the ECU you'll have a brilliant bike that will be equal or better than a lot of bikes costing nearly twice as much to purchase.

Lots of Great help and advice on PhuketPaul's GSX Info website.

·
Registered
698 Posts
For the casual rider, it's one of the best bikes right out of the box. Fix the throttle if it has an issue, and you're good to go.

Of course, you can always find a reason to upgrade if you have the cash! :)

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
My 2016 doesn't suffer from throttle snatch and the severity seems quite random. I have the Suzuki (SW-Motech) lock ring tank bag and love it. I went with CNC Racing bar-ends and they are great, work with the stock bar-ends and need no additional mounting hardware.For throttle lock I use a NEP CC4 which requires trimming the stock grip or an aftermarket grip that doesn't go over the inner ring. It's cheap and works. I had a Kaoko but it was a PITA so I switched to the NEP.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The Givi ST601's are being replaced (or have been replaced) by the ST604's. Essentially the same case, and you might have luck finding those in stock somewhere.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Snatchy throttle is not an issue with the 2018 models, but the throttle may be a bit too "sensitive" for some riders (like me). I installed a Throttle Tamer from G2 Ergonomics which was a real game changer...throttle is spot-on perfect now (I use my bike for commuting and really appreciate a well-behaved throttle).

·
Registered
137 Posts
My 2¢ if it matters:

My 2018 throttle felt pretty good, there was a very small amount of a jerk here and there, and id have to try for it. Even then, my initial reaction was to attribute it to it being fuel injection, and just faster response from what I was used to with 4 carbs. I did the tps. From 1.06V to 1.11V, and barely adjusted the cables. It really was not an issue before, but even then it's still much better now. $40(Canadian) total, and 20 minutes of time.

And the rear shock is in the realm of "Ok". Definitely not bad, but still shy of good. The front forks are great, for stock though!

With those two in mind, replacing the shock and checking the TPS, would still be under the price of almost all other bikes in the class, and probably make it as good as, or better!

My next big purchase is going to be a rear shock!

Also switching to a 190/55 road 5 on the back, made it a lot more fun.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Well, if you're still kicking tires, here's my thoughts

My latest bikes are a ZX-10R and an FZ-09, have owned dozens of sport bikes through the years. Now I bought a ‘17 GSXS naked, done all the mods and the bike is great. For me, one of the biggest plus's is the riding position/comfort.

If I were to point out what I don't like about the GSXS is the transmission close gear ratios. Trying to remedy, I went with a smaller rear sprocket and then freeway cruising was great, but no balls on low end. Then went with a bigger rear sprocket and low end is now a blast, but I’m constantly searching for another gear on the freeway.

As a result, this engine is a Japanese Kamakazee screamer. Much more so than my ZX-10R. The engine works at very high revs (nothing like a big twin, and probably not like your Bandit 1200). I feel like the engine is over-reving and straining on the highway, then I look down and I’m only at 7,000 rpm! Everyone says this bike has another complete personality from 7 to 11,000 rpm, but my god by the time you gas it from 7,000 and up you are absolutely screaming down the highway at massive speed violations! And most of my riding is up to 7,000 rpm. So if you have owned a GSXR inline four before, you will know what to expect. It is definitely not a "mellow" engine. But it absolutely screams when you want it too.

I have spent a lot of money on suspension, brakes, exhaust, ECU, accessories, etc., but the original low cost allowed me to upgrade the way I wanted and now the bike is near perfect and I am really enjoying the bike. IMO, an ECU flash and suspension upgrade are the minimal must-do's on this bike. EBC HH brake pads are cheap and also make a huge improvement.

In summary: I highly recommend this bike!

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Here's a link to the CNC Racing bar-ends I have. The website wasn't showing them when I posted before, so I sent them an email asking if they still carried them and they said "yes" and that their web-site was acting up and gave me this link.

Great folks at BellissiMoto!

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have a ‘16 with no throttle snatch. Never had it. I own 7 bikes all together, 3 are carbed, so I feel like it is not just me having gotten used to the GSXS1000. The rear shock could be loads better, but could be loads worse. I’m 175 lbs, and it’s a little stiff, but I set the sag and it works ok. I will upgrade it someday, hopefully soon. That being said, I bought it new in June of 2017, and I love the bike. The suspension is not awful, but I have other bikes that are serious in the handling department, so this is not an issue for me. The all around great nature of the bike, the fact I can ride it from full gas tank to empty without stopping, and it’s quickness are reasons enough for me to love it. This is a forever bike for me. This is a comfortable ride, that hauls ass, and can corner well. Many other bikes are better at one or two of those things, but only my 2003 919 came close to the versatility of this bike. The 919 had some deep flaws, and found its way out of my life. I’m sure the KTM and Aprilia guys will be along to tell me that their bikes are better, but the Suzuki is like all other Suzuki’s I have owned I’m sure- very reliable. I like the 50 profile rear tire after changing to a Bridgestone s21. It has much more radius than the Dun-flop that came on the bike. It works well enough for me. I have full exhaust and a tune, and I simply cannot ride full throttle in first and second gear without wheelies. Third gear will power wheely easily enough, but in triple digit speeds. I went one tooth smaller on front sprocket too, just because first gear was way too tall. But I honestly don’t know if I’d do it again, it just makes it more wheely prone. I love it though, wheelies are fun! I just really love this bike. I get loads of compliments on it, even though I personally think it’s a bit ugly. I have a naked non ABS btw. I probably wouldn’t have purchased a faired model, but that’s just me. I prefer the looks of super sport bikes in full faired models. I also love the half faired looks of my first and second gen sv650s’s, and my sv1000s. One day I may look into a bike with several foot positions, and much better touring capability. But at 50, I’m not old enough to see the appeal of that yet��. This bike checks many boxes for me. It is the bike I ride the most. I have an RC51sp2, and two old 1970s CB’s besides my GSXS and SV family. This one is my go to bike. I believe I will always own it. I will put a shock, and some traxion dynamic cartridges in it one day. I need to do stainless brake lines and HH pads too- just because.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1. ................

Having owned some 68 bikes over the last 47 years of riding I've had the pleasure of riding some very nice bikes but also a few dogs, the GSXS is a great fun bike to own and ride once it's set up properly and tweaked a bit here and there. I'll be keeping her in my collection when I retire her from everyday use.
For the purchase price you get a pretty good bike with a fantastic engine, one of the best IMO, for a reasonable investment in aftermarket additions and a reflash of the ECU you'll have a brilliant bike that will be equal or better than a lot of bikes costing nearly twice as much to purchase.

Lots of Great help and advice on PhuketPaul's GSX Info website.

I wan't aware of a reflash? I assume this isn't a factory update? I've seen some references for PC5.

Thanks for the info

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I appreciate all the responses here. The local shop has a couple at a good deal.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I wan't aware of a reflash? I assume this isn't a factory update? I've seen some references for PC5. Thanks for the info
Keep in mind that not all 2016 bikes have a 'jerky/snatchy' throttle response. Mine was fine. Great actually. No issues. There was a lot of slack in the throttle cables, but once I adjusted that out (only 1mm of free-play) it's all good.

But if the 2016 model you buy DOES have the herky-jerky throttle response, an ECU flash by Danos in California for $180 will make everything wonderful. (ECU Flashing ; scroll to bottom of page.)

Power Commanders are great, but now that folks have mastered flashing ECUs, it is usually cheaper/simpler to just have that done. But if you are into tinkering and perhaps making performance modifications down the road, like a full-system exhaust, the PC-V can be a more useful tool as you can tweak it and change it as you change the bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Frog- I am looking at a new '18 model. I was curious about the reflash recommendations and why. Actually, I test rode a '16 and didn't notice any throttle issues (even after the salesman mentioned it was a common issue). OTOH, the FZ09 was awful and I would never consider one.

The "ride-abiliy" and performance are more than adequate in my book. Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts