GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone gone to/from the 2017 - 2020 Street Triple? I've only had my GSX-S1000 for around 7 months, but I don't know, it's just not really doing it for me.

It's not the first powerful bike I've owned, but it's the first one that really needs to be revved out. So even having swapped down the front and rear sprockets, I still find I have to be doing stupid-illegal speeds to get into the fun zone.

Seriously considering just trading for a 2020 Triumph Street Triple, as I'd love a super light bike with all the cool tech (TFT display, up/down quickshifter), that doesn't need a shock swap straight out of the box.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I got the Honda Grom 125 2018 (to go to the closest super market to get some onions & tomatoes), the Honda CB500F 2019 for street ridding and the GSX S1000 for Fwy ridding, however, I find myself doing more street ridding and I feel the CB500 needs more power, I'm considering to get the Kawasaki Z650 2020 to replace my CB500F.
Maybe I sell the Grom and leave the CB500F for going to the closest supermarket.

The Z650 2020 is beautiful and fits me well for my size (5' 5" 140 lbs, 29 inseam). Led lights, gorgeous dashboard, very soft clutch, great seat, 68 HP compared to 47 HP of my CB500F, 46 MPH in 1st gear, great sound, etc.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I got the Honda Grom 125 2018 (to go to the closest super market to get some onions & tomatoes), the Honda CB500F 2019 for street ridding and the GSX S1000 for Fwy ridding, however, I find myself doing more street ridding and I feel the CB500 needs more power, I'm considering to get the Kawasaki Z650 2020 to replace my CB500F.
Maybe I sell the Grom and leave the CB500F for going to the closest supermarket.

The Z650 2020 is beautiful and fits me well for my size (5' 5" 140 lbs, 29 inseam). Led lights, gorgeous dashboard, very soft clutch, great seat, 68 HP compared to 47 HP of my CB500F, 46 MPH in 1st gear, great sound, etc.
Cool story but I'm struggling to see what this has to do with the op's question

·
Registered
621 Posts
Anyone gone to/from the 2017 - 2020 Street Triple? I've only had my GSX-S1000 for around 7 months, but I don't know, it's just not really doing it for me.

It's not the first powerful bike I've owned, but it's the first one that really needs to be revved out. So even having swapped down the front and rear sprockets, I still find I have to be doing stupid-illegal speeds to get into the fun zone.

Seriously considering just trading for a 2020 Triumph Street Triple, as I'd love a super light bike with all the cool tech (TFT display, up/down quickshifter), that doesn't need a shock swap straight out of the box.

Thoughts?
I was sold on the speed triple RS and would still love one in the future.
The speed triple would be a better fit for you as the larger displacement offers bags of low end torque.
The street triple really requires revving to keep it in the power band. Not ideal.
The speed triple is a more refined bike than the gsxs in every way, full ohlins, lean sensitive abs, better fuelling, ride modes, tft colour display, quickshifter and blipper, arrow exhaust as standard, bigger brakes, better chassis, better tyres etc....

My local Triumph lost their dealership just months before my purchase. Nearest now is 2 hours away.
This and the fact that the Triumph is a another $10k new, I went suzuki.
Bear in mind the Triumph's have seen reliability issues. At least far more than the suzuki. Having a dealer close would be helpful. If money were no object, I'd have the speed triple in place of the suzuki.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
The Street Triple "R" rather than the "RS" would be better suited methinks as it has more torque lower down.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The choice is yours of course. But I found the street triple really boring with no go. Really underwhelming. I think the Speed Triple would be ok (in fact I enjoyed the ride I had on one many years ago) but are really expensive. But if the GSXS isn't for you then so be it. Flick it and get something that does suit. Life's too short to put up with stuff that isn't right.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had a 2009 str. Great bike. Very fun around town and in the twisties. Lots of torque, light and flickable. Not the best on for long highway runs though. Got beat up by the wind and the 675 ran out of steam up top. Over my 20 years of riding I can say that I have never found a bike that does everything perfect. They all have their strong points. The gsxs is a great all round bike but cannot help to say that at around town speeds it always feels like you are holding a beast back. The str really shines in this area. Did a few track days on it too until I realized that crashing it would cost a fortune, got a better suited gsxr600 for those duties. As for the str, it does have a more racer riding position and while the suspension is very good it was a bit more firm feeling. They have really evolved the str over the years to be more competitive on the track and it feels that way.
I would recommend test riding one if you can to make your own opinion. See if you like it. Just take a long look at what type of riding you like. As with any naked, super easy maintenance but most fun happens under 75mph. Above that and you get a bit beat up on Linder rides

·
Registered
219 Posts
it's the first one that really needs to be revved out.
I'd never thought I'd ever hear that of this engine. Wonder if there's something wrong with yours?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Cool story but I'm struggling to see what this has to do with the op's question
Cainus83,
Thank you for saying that my story is cool, though, but I'm struggling to see what does my comment has to do with you?
He appears to like the Street Triple, I like the Z650, nothing wrong to trade for another bike that you like better.
As to give him a direct answer about the Street Triple bike, I have no idea since this is not a Triumph forum. I can only express to him my solidarity with my comment.

It's very hard to answer his question since he did not specify what type or ridding he wants to do with the bike. He mentioned a Street bike, obviously he wants something to do streets.
One bike cannot do all things we want to do with it, that's why I have 3 bikes and soon the Z650 that is enough power for streets.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I had a 2009 str. Great bike. Very fun around town and in the twisties. Lots of torque, light and flickable. Not the best on for long highway runs though. Got beat up by the wind and the 675 ran out of steam up top. Over my 20 years of riding I can say that I have never found a bike that does everything perfect. They all have their strong points. The gsxs is a great all round bike but cannot help to say that at around town speeds it always feels like you are holding a beast back. The str really shines in this area. Did a few track days on it too until I realized that crashing it would cost a fortune, got a better suited gsxr600 for those duties. As for the str, it does have a more racer riding position and while the suspension is very good it was a bit more firm feeling. They have really evolved the str over the years to be more competitive on the track and it feels that way.
I would recommend test riding one if you can to make your own opinion. See if you like it. Just take a long look at what type of riding you like. As with any naked, super easy maintenance but most fun happens under 75mph. Above that and you get a bit beat up on Linder rides
Under200,
Thanks for your comment. I went to the Triumph site to check the Street Triple bike specs, but the specs are very misleading, the weight for instance is without the gasoline and all fluids in it. Once you fill it up with gasoline and all fluids the bike is more heavy than the MT 07 or about the Z650. Also the seat height is 32.5" which is way to high for me and costs about $12K vs $7K for the MT 07 or Z650 which are already super powerful and nimble for street ridding, bigger than 650 is hard to maneuver in the streets. There are streets so narrow that I can only go in between the cars with my Grom 125 since it is like a regular bicycle with a motor.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

Thoughts?
Dear Wheat,
It is obvious the the 'magic' has gone from your relationship with the GSX-S.
Just get the divorce settlement worked out and move on. Add it down to experience as per the other bikes that you once had.
Quickly, Go down to the KTM Shop and order a 1290 Super Duke today and be very happy.

Rob.

·
Registered
440 Posts
If your getting bored with the gsxs a 3 cylinder gets boring after a while to.
I’ve owned 2 speed triples and those bikes are to top heavy.
Get a V Twin heaps of fun and character or even a parallel twin like a ktm 890.
They run the 270 crank sounds like a v twin plus light weight around 166kgs.

·
Registered
275 Posts
It will take long time before I get bored with my GSXS1000! Every time I enter the Fwy I get a big smile on my face. This thing is like a F16 jet for me.
And, still I have not reved the engine more than 7K rpm. I remember thinking that I was flying @ 65 MPH top speed on my Grom :LOL: less than 2 years ago when I could only ride a regular bicycle:LOL:
I'm super happy with my GSXS1000.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Dear Wheat,
If your love is for Triple cylinder bikes, try the Yamaha MT 09 for about $9K, this is very similar to the Triumph Street Triple and you don't have to pay over $12K. Obviously any of the these 2 bikes will be a downgrade from the GSXS1000. Also, tell us what kind of ridding you want to do with the bike. Street ridding, Interstate ridding, commuting ridding, track ridding, dirt bike ridding, etc?

·
Registered
5 Posts

Thoughts?
I actually own both a GSX S1000f and a 2020 Street Triple RS. The Triumphs a fantastic bike but doesn't fit my needs as a light touring machine which is why I ended up buying the Suzuki. Aside from that the STR checks all the boxes, fantastic brakes and suspension, its fast, handles extremely well, light weight and easy to ride. The tech is amazing and easy to use, I recommend getting the bluetooth module, it has the google maps turn by turn displayed on the TFT, you can also control your music and operate a GoPro with the switchgear toggle.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I actually own both a GSX S1000f and a 2020 Street Triple RS. The Triumphs a fantastic bike but doesn't fit my needs as a light touring machine which is why I ended up buying the Suzuki. Aside from that the STR checks all the boxes, fantastic brakes and suspension, its fast, handles extremely well, light weight and easy to ride. The tech is amazing and easy to use, I recommend getting the bluetooth module, it has the google maps turn by turn displayed on the TFT, you can also control your music and operate a GoPro with the switchgear toggle.
Hello jhad57, The Z650 2020 has all that for like $7k . How do you think the Street Triple compares to the Kawasaki Z650 for Street ridding? I need something more powerful than my CB500F but nimble for Street ridding, going in between cars easily, low seat (30.9") for walking the bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello jhad57, The Z650 2020 has all that for like $7k . How do you think the Street Triple compares to the Kawasaki Z650 for Street ridding? I need something more powerful than my CB500F but nimble for Street ridding, going in between cars easily, low seat (30.9") for walking the bike.
The Triumph is in no way a budget bike, top shelf components all the way around which more than justifies the 12,500 cost of the bike. That being said test ride all the bikes that you’re interested in and then make a decision based on your needs and budget. By no means pay attention to the biased opinion of journalists reviews, do your due diligence and make an informed choice.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thanks jhad57, My guess is that a 650cc class bike is already good and powerful enough for street ridding. More than 650cc is over kill just to go from traffic light to traffic light.
I'll go shopping this weekend to get a better idea. Thanks again for you suggestion.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think you are trying to stay with a lighter, fun bike, but I owned a 2007 Bandit 1250S back in 2007.
When the magazine test say the motor felt like an electric motor they weren’t lying.
It was just instant torque right off the bat!
Comfortable seating position and sort of sporty if you aren’t trying to drag a knee or anything at that level.
But being a short man I soon longed for a lighter, sportier bike again.
I do miss that motor though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts